Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opinions on this course

Options
  • 02-04-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi guys,

Before I start, it's not my intention to create a course-bashing thread - I'd just like to know how you, either as an employer or somebody seeking to further employment prospects, would view this course run by the Fitzwilliam Institute.

The above course is apparently accredited by the Institute of Commercial Management, but having made enquiries, I've found that it doesn't have any NFQ-equivalent; rather, the course is only 'certified' by ICM (see here). Now ICM do have officially recognized courses (in the UK), which they list here, so one would be forgiven for thinking --or maybe not-- that the course run by the Fitzwilliam Institute aligned with one of these. This is what I assumed before actually contacting ICM.

Anyway, given the above, is there any point in pursuing a course like this for somebody who has, as yet, no IT-related qualifications? Or would it appear more negatively than positively on a person's CV, given that it isn't really a "qualification" at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SionnachRoe

According to the course description the intended targets are 'Anyone working in the general Computer Science sector in a senior or support role which is likely to require computing Skills.'

The course seems very broad, with no focus. In the description, 'Communication and Information', 'Microprocessor Systems' and 'Operating Systems' are described on a level with 'Control Statements and Methods' and 'Arrays' and with the 4 JavaScript modules.

Is it a 'teach someone how to program' course or a 'teach someone what computing encompasses' course?

Into what sort or role are you hoping to move?

If a developer role, then the bad news is that the first thing I check on CVs is the experience
    - On what have they been working,
    - In which technologies,
    - For how long.

A Computer Science (CS) related qualification is useful for more senior roles (as a general rule, it gives a wider viewpoint on what is possible) but not required. We have senior people who have wandered into development from very many backgrounds.

That all said, everyone has to get their first programming job and having some paper qualification is useful.

Everything mentioned in this course is 'Mom and apple pie', there is no module I would point to an say 'that is useless' but there is lots and lots and lots mentioned; even in a two year course many/most are going to get pretty short shrift. There are a few things that are not mentioned - no version/source control, no unit testing, no build/deployment (Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment) Projects are mentioned in very vague terms with a nice hand wave of 'Practical guidance will be offered throughout the course to ensure that theoretical learning is translated into practical proposals' Programming is very practical subject. One learns it by doing and re-doing and having a more experienced person review and rework one's efforts. This works badly enough in classroom settings, I do not know how well it would work in a distance learning environment. Automated testing only goes so far. Getting the answer correct is only a small portion of the definition of good code (sorry, personal hobby horse)

Bottom line:
    There is no real way to evaluate the value of the course without knowing the sort of role in which you are interested. I cannot say whether any given potential employer would count it as a negative - though I cannot see why they would, as I said, 'Mom and Apple Pie', but it depends upon the role as to whether it would make you more attractive than someone with a different qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Sorry to hijack your thread polymorpheus but I had a similar question about a course im doing at the moment. When I first started this course.

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=IT&degree_description=Diploma+%2F+B.Sc.+in+Information+Technology

I didnt know what I wanted to do in IT but know ive got a taste I really like programming, however, this course seems a little weak in that department. Im finishing my second year (part time) in May so have one more year before I can exit with a diploma. I just dont know if I am wasting my time doing this course, I dont work in IT but really want to work software development even testing. So my question is, should I continue until I get my degree on this course or should I change to a different degree and if so which one? There is a lot of conflicting information regarding IT, the general consensus in Ireland is that there is loads of jobs but the more I look into it the more I realise that its not the case at all, Im 32 so time isn't really on my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Polymorpheus

Thanks a million for your response SionnachRoe, I really appreciate it.

The course seems very broad, with no focus... Is it a 'teach someone how to program' course or a 'teach someone what computing encompasses' course?

It's more of the latter. The modules on JavaScript and Java are basically only pdf's with annotated screenshots of code, poorly explained - you'd learn far more about JavaScript on a site like Codecademy.
    Into what sort or role are you hoping to move?

I'm hoping eventually to go into research/academia/teaching if possible. But I was thinking that a few years working in industry would help too. I thought this course would be good for the basics - the equivalent maybe of the first year of a degree. But it's not proving itself to be at all.

I intend on doing a more recognized degree starting in Sept.
    That all said, everyone has to get their first programming job and having some paper qualification is useful.

That was what I thought alright. This particular piece of paper however doesn't seem worth much.
    Everything mentioned in this course is 'Mom and apple pie', there is no module I would point to an say 'that is useless'.

Yes, they've made some of the modules appear quite useful judging by their descriptions, and this is what attracted me to the course. The 6 modules on Cloud Computing, for example, are just pdf documents I managed to read in about half an hour... in some cases their contents were copied and pasted verbatim from Wikipedia! I was quite alarmed when I found this (see attached picture where I've highlighted a [10] at the end of a sentence that seemed out of place. Thereafter I discovered plenty more examples).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Polymorpheus

macnug wrote:
    Sorry to hijack your thread polymorpheus but I had a similar question about a course im doing at the moment.

Not at all macnug! :)
    macnug wrote:
    Im finishing my second year (part time) in May so have one more year before I can exit with a diploma. I just dont know if I am wasting my time doing this course

Even if you do exit with a Diploma you won't have wasted your time. You'll have learnt more about the direction in which you want to go, and you'll have a piece of paper from a recognized University to show for it.
    macnug wrote:
    Im 32 so time isn't really on my side.

I know the feeling, but don't let that get the better of you. Although there are real challenges (and you seem aware of this), learning is lifelong and plenty of people make successful career changes in their 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would be very wary of enrolling in any course that does not have an NFQ level and is distance learning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement