Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

orange provocation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It was just on the BBCNI news. I guess they're whipping people up into a frenzy too are they?

What do you think are the intentions of a 12th of July 'parade' stopping at a Catholic church and playing inflammatory tunes?

Are you avinalaf?

I don't argue that this particular group were out of order (forgive the pun) but to see the hatred it produces against an organisation is baffling.

Sorry Chuck, you'll have to inform me to what avinalaf is.
    remove the scum from your organisation and let a paddy's day parade through shankill them ye can march were ye want

It isn't my organisation. I'm an Irish Catholic by birth. I've since changed my own views through education and travel. Hate breeds hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I don't argue that this particular group were out of order (forgive the pun) but to see the hatred it produces against an organisation is baffling.

How is it baffling? Are you completely unaware of your history???:confused:

I'm aware of the history of the Island, I am more interested in the future of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The organisation is replete with haters and is sectarian by its very nature. What are we supposed to do? Love the haters?
    Sorry Chuck, you'll have to inform me to what avinalaf is.

Avinalaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm aware of the history of the Island, I am more interested in the future of it though.

Their siege mentality can be very tiring and frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

...........but have no idea of how to deal with the present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Its clear that these orange marches are as much about antagonising than anything else. We should not be letting these people into our Seanad, not let them march in Dublin and treat them as the trouble makers they are.

I have no respect for the OO and never will.

Their siege mentality can be very tiring and frustrating.

Absolutely, but we have seen how successful a method it is.

The Order is not going to go away, we can either continue to hate them or learn how to communicate. As proven, communication and understanding breeds mutual respect, with that comes compromise. This all leads to a new positive future.

The Order is not going to go away, we can either continue to hate them or learn how to communicate. As proven, communication and understanding breeds mutual respect, with that comes compromise. This all leads to a new positive future.

It's crazy, but that's how it goes. Millions of people living as foes. Maybe it's not too late to learn how to love and forget how to hate.

But seriously, I'd love to see the day when it's not uncommon for a Catholic to call round to his Protestant neighbour for a few drinks and an ol' BBQ on the 12th and likewise for St Patrick's day. The people of the north deserve better than this ****. I'm fully aware that the vast majority of Unionists/Protestants will be appalled by that behaviour today.

gurramok wrote: »
    Reaction here to the vid here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151896598970427&set=vb.111907769567&type=2&theater

Some hateful comments from Loyalist side, every excuse pulled out of the book. Thankfully they are a minority within the Unionist community who largely do not agree with their bigoted ways.

And burning a Polish flag(nevermind the usual Irish one) on a bonfire! (fast forward to about 2min to see it clearly)

What did the Polish do to deserve this?!

They are racists and xenophobes. Its them against the world, dwindling in numbers though. A pathetic bunch those loyalists and OO people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

The fact that they bussed themselves 6 miles through areas were they are welcome just so they could march were they are not wanted shows just what a bunch of bigots they are.

They wont even recognize the parades commission or talk to SF - even when the head bigot was in the seanad he wouldn't talk to SF reps.

Of course we have the pontificators who don't know the reality of the situation, or of the scum involved. Even look at their bonfires, burning effigies, burning things with the names of those killed on bloody sunday on it, or burning effigies of nationalist children they (loyalists) killed.

The answer is fcuking simple, they should be banned from marching where the residents oppose it.

You seem to have it all figured out, I mean why didnt anyone try to communicate before?

I mean, its not as if they have refused to talk to bodies set up to deal with this, or to nationalist groups, or to community groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Big Mouth

Best thing to here is the usual boards response:

Its Nationalists / Sinn Fein / IRA's fault for OO's provaction **LOCK THREAD**

Oh and I'm not a Celtic jersey wearing knacker either before that comeback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Actually the Order is going away. The peace process has taken away the only reason for its existence - imposition of dominance over another community. For example, what do the OO do apart from parade - though they claim to be a cultural organisation? The order has halved in size from its peak and its older men you see mostly on parade.

Good riddance to that sectarian, anti-Catholic, Protestant-supremacist organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Big Mouth

I see my post was deleted :rolleyes:......can I ask why?

I posted a response to amazing spidermans video and it was deleted, off the wall this place is.

He posts a loyalist song and is clearly being provacative and when I respond with similar Nationalist post it gets deleted!!

Didn't delete his post so quick though....what a joke

Big Mouth wrote: »
    I see my post was deleted :rolleyes:......can I ask why?

I posted a response to amazing spidermans video and it was deleted, off the wall this place is.

He posts a loyalist song and is clearly being provacative and when I respond with similar Nationalist post it gets deleted!!

Didn't delete his post so quick though....what a joke

He is a known troll, his post should have been deleted earlier but wasn't. You quoting it reminded me of this. All posts that were quoted by this re-reg troll were also deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

hard line Ulster Loyalists fail to realise one thing, Irish people south of the border are not their enemy. The word 'Taig' is unheard of in many parts of the south, and most southerners would not identify this term as being an insult, reason being is that most of them have never heard the expression. Parts of Northern Ireland are very insular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Wattle wrote: »
    I like Sloop John B but I couldn't imagine Brian Wilson singing about the famine. Then again Wilson is a bit of a Proddy name so you never know.

Irony of the famine song is '' the famines over, why don't you go home?'' originally meant for people of Irish Catholic stock in Scotland, however if the loyalists (in Ireland) were singing it, the people they were singing it to were already at home.

Whilst respecting and understanding the rights of moderate Unionists and even Nationalists (ie; the SDLP ) to remain British or in the UK plus also the pragmatic reasons for wanting to keep NI in the Union, I've never understood the folk at the extreme end of the Loyalist spectrum ( ie; the Shankill Butcher, Johnny Adair types and their ilk and support ), if they hate Ireland and Irish people that much, why don't they go home to their beloved Blighty? There's a ferry to Stranraer on their doorstep if they loathe us so much.

This protestant/catholic stuff is nonsense, it will all fade away once partition is ended imo, as sectarianism will no longer serve a political purpose.

Its mad, my girlfriend and her entire family are protestants (go back a long way) and religion is not an issue whatsoever, nor is politics, its never really comes up.

Yet 90 miles or so up the road I doubt a republican like myself would be readily accepted by a working class protestants family, extended and immediate.

dd972 wrote: »
    Irony of the famine song is '' the famines over, why don't you go home?'' originally meant for people of Irish Catholic stock in Scotland, however if the loyalists (in Ireland) were singing it, the people they were singing it to were already at home.

And them descended from scottish planters. The irony is hilarious. Bunch of thickos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Honestly thought the thread was about gingers. Don't provoke em

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Honestly thought the thread was about gingers. Don't provoke em

No, gingers have souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I know; chuck I am talking to those that don't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

El Siglo wrote: »
    Then why did the YCV have march outside a Catholic Church, in North Belfast, singing sectarian songs? Was that needed? They already got to go through the Ardoyne, they had their parade routes agreed upon. There was absolutely no need to go right in front of that church.

For a Mod you're very mis informed. Past Ardoyne is the correct answer. Should you as a Mod being putting your views so forcibly, including obscene words? People get warnings for that.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    In fairness, NI is the most racist place on earth

WOW WOW WOooooooW. I haven't mugged an African in 2 weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

mikom wrote: »
    Typical catholic work ethic.......

Very cheap shot. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

hard line Ulster Loyalists fail to realise one thing, Irish people south of the border are not their enemy. The word 'Taig' is unheard of in many parts of the south, and most southerners would not identify this term as being an insult, reason being is that most of them have never heard the expression. Parts of Northern Ireland are very insular.

I must be in the minority so. I work in a warehouse and we regularly send product to the north. I've been called a taig and a fenian bastard by some of the northern drivers when through no fault of mine there is a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

dd972 wrote: »

Whilst respecting and understanding the rights of moderate Unionists and even Nationalists (ie; the SDLP ) to remain British or in the UK plus also the pragmatic reasons for wanting to keep NI in the Union, I've never understood the folk at the extreme end of the Loyalist spectrum ( ie; the Shankill Butcher, Johnny Adair types and their ilk and support ), if they hate Ireland and Irish people that much, why don't they go home to their beloved Blighty? There's a ferry to Stranraer on their doorstep if they loathe us so much.
    Because they'd rather stay here and pledge allegiance to a Britain that doesn't want them and an empire that no longer exists.
    Lets face it. No one ever accused Loyalists of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Because they'd rather stay here and pledge allegiance to a Britain that doesn't want them and an empire that no longer exists.
    Lets face it. No one ever accused Loyalists of intelligence.
    so lets do what we always do in this situation, riot,burn down shops,set fire to cars,attack police with petrol bombs and guns,all in our own community,then complain that no businesses will invest in our area,all this because we dont like orange band marching in our area.now who are the idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I must be in the minority so. I work in a warehouse and we regularly send product to the north. I've been called a taig and a fenian bastard by some of the northern drivers when through no fault of mine there is a delay.

Most of us wouldn't experience it unless we went up north. You should pull those guys up on that.

Advertisement