Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview channels coming to UPC [Merged - all RTÉ Two HD on UPC queries here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's there. A shame the Dolby Digital doesn't seem to be there (not being seen by amp or displayed on the info button) - similar to the Saorview broadcast.

Is it just a matter of RTE sending a signal/identifier with the broadcast?
    ted1 wrote: »
    They only broadcast ad channels in stereo. The hd channel should have proper sound.

Are you saying you get Dolby Digital? Please clarify what you mean by "proper sound" No difference in sound quality is detected outside the ads either on UPC or on Saorview.

There is no identifier as to DD at any stage on RTE2 HD. UPC advise on twitter that it's up to RTE to decide what they broadcast (obviously)

It's a shame that Brian from Saorview opted out of answering these types of questions on the Terrestrial forum. Maybe RTE can clarify what they mean by better quality sound in their bumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes,

HD channels on UPC are proper Digital Dolby and can be 5.1.

The sd channels are just SD.

You won't notice unless you got a AV system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I have an AV system. There's no DD coming through on UPC's channel 135. That was the reason my initial question.

If you click the "i" (info) button on the remote on Channel 135, you'll see that the audio is standard English, not DD 5.1 as it is on the other UPC HD channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's a shame that Brian from Saorview opted out of answering these types of questions on the Terrestrial forum. Maybe RTE can clarify what they mean by better quality sound in their bumph.

Dolby Digital and Surround sound are just encoding and more channels. Nothing to do with quality.

Bitrates on Saorview vary from 96kbps MP2 "stereo" (i.e. totally rubbish), to 96bps Mono (poor) to 128k for Radio up to 256k MP2 for main TV sound.

Saorview can use AAC, either for more quality at same bit rate (mono or Stereo), or for less bitrate at same quality, or for more channels.

There is nothing especially better about Dolby Digital.

Analogue TV uses either FM Analogue (which can be better than 256K MP2 or Dolby Digital as it's "lossless" and HiFi) which can be HiFi if the picture has no snow. Analogue TV also uses Stereo Digital Sound using Nicam. The source can be stereo, mono or Dolby 2.0 Surround.

It's a bit misleading to claim ANY sound channel on Satellite, (Freesat or Sky), Saorview, Freeview, UPC Digital is "better" than Analogue. At best it's only comparable. The ONLY advantage of digital is the possibility to have 5.1 sound (but that's nothing to do with "quality" but more channels). It's rare for anything other than films to have genuine 5.1 content.

HD doesn't inherently add better sound than any other Digital. It can actually be the SAME sound data as SD.

Digital is about fitting as many channels in as possible. In many cases UPC will re-encode Audio & Video to their own bitrates for their own DVB-c multiplexes. In some cases they may re-multiplex.

The only "real" extra that there can be is RTE 2 occasionally in HD. The other Saorview channels are "padding". RTE news now isn't a proper channel like BBC 24, Sky News, it's just the regular RTE news repeated with irritating graphics. RTEjr/RTE1+1 is just repeats of earlier in the day.

The Saorview radio stations are abysmal quality unless they switch to AAC instead of MP2 and maintain the same bit rate.

AAC is broadcast alternative to DVD's AC3 (Dolby Codec). Either can be stereo or 5.1 and unless you know the bitrate, you can know without listening if it's better quality than TV's FM Mono (which can be very good quality), or Digital Stereo on Analogue TV using Nicam, which is better than 128k MP2.

MP2 is what DAB uses too. DAB+ can optionally use AAC+. On digital you have to know the number of channels, codec used, sample rate and bitrate to be able to make valid comparisons on paper.

Digital= Better is simply often a lie. It can be as good or poorer (Video or Audio) as a snow & interference free Analogue signal. They are NEVER other than HD video or 5.1 Audio (which can be POORER quality, but more channels) going to exceed best Analogue or Nicam, though it's possible. It's not economic.

We are lucky when SD is 720 x 576 on WS, and not 544 x 576 and when sound is 128K AAC stereo / 256 MP2 stereo rather than lower.

(MP2 = MPEG1 Layer 2). AAC and AAC+ are "more advanced" than MP3, but often used to save bit rate rather than more quality (i.e. Southeast DAB+ was using 48k AAC stereo which is poorer than FM Stereo Multiplex. TV never uses FM Multiplex Stereo, but more robust FM Mono only)

Note Mono, Stereo, Dolby 2.0, Surround and 5.1 say NOTHING about quality. Good Mono is easier to listen to than poor bitrate Stereo, Dolby 2.0 or Surround / 5.1. Those are numbers of channels, not measures of Quality.

Note that a Stereo or even mono source can be encoded as "fake" DD 5.1 on HD just so codec isn't switching for Films that really have 5.1. A lot of HD cable and Satellite channels with "DD 5.1" flag actually at lot of the time are just mono or stereo. It does nothing for quality, nor actually create extra channels. It's just convenience on the encoder setup so nothing needs switched if there ever is really a program with 5.1 content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

icdg wrote: »
    Also to note, RTÉ Junior now on channel 600 and channel 601 now simply named TRTÉ, though its still showing RTÉjr programmes (meaning the RTÉ Two RTÉjr block is now being simulcast on no less then four channels: 102, 135, 600, and 601!!!!).

Not to mention yet another channel name added to the 700's were old channel names go to die,pretty pretty EPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Have those of you without a HD subscription managed to locate RTE HD on your EPG?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Have those of you without a HD subscription managed to locate RTE HD on your EPG?

Yes, RTÉ Two HD's on channel 135 and is available to those without HD subscriptions. But you'll only receive it IF you have a very recent digibox (e.g. Pace DCR7111/05) - it will have the words "UPC Mediabox HD" written on the front and a HDMI-out on the back.

Other UPC STBs (and all NTL and Chorus STBs still in circulation) won't even see the channel, or any other HD channel for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

what do you all make of the quality of RTE 2 HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Can anyone with a UPC hd box confirm if they have got RTE 2 hd as i was told it was added today?

Ive had it on my channel list since early last week. Its near setanta HD if i remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its somewhere around channel 136 (where BBC HD used to be). Ive had it since last week.

Thanks for the info guys. I have phone and broadband and the old analogue channels with UPC.I also have a Humax freesat pvr for the English channels.The reason i asked the question is because a notice is displayed on discovery analogue to the effect that this channel and many others will cease on March 26th 2012.I was waiting for a decent saorview pvr box to materialise, but time is running out. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

huggs2 wrote: »
    The reason i asked the question is because a notice is displayed on discovery analogue to the effect that this channel and many others will cease on March 26th 2012.

Haven't seen an official announcement on this from UPC with less than a week to go.

Which channels are they removing from their analogue service?

The announcement is running on 5 analogue channels.

SKY LIVING
    DISCOVERY
    COMEDY CHANNEL
    E4
    MTV

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭liamcu

huggs2 wrote: »
    The announcement is running on 5 analogue channels.

SKY LIVING
    DISCOVERY
    COMEDY CHANNEL
    E4
    MTV

Just checked those channels. No message being displayed for me. Is the message being displayed only when transmissions have finished for the day?

icdg wrote: »
    Benny Cake wrote: »

Yes, RTÉ Two HD's on channel 135 and is available to those without HD subscriptions. But you'll only receive it IF you have a very recent digibox (e.g. Pace DCR7111/05) - it will have the words "UPC Mediabox HD" written on the front and a HDMI-out on the back.

Other UPC STBs (and all NTL and Chorus STBs still in circulation) won't even see the channel, or any other HD channel for that matter.

I have a HD box but don't have a HD subscription and until the weekend was able to view rte2 HD. Now I can't. Called UPC but have been given conflicting info: there's a problem with the channel at the moment or that I need a HD subscription.

liamcu wrote: »
    Just checked those channels. No message being displayed for me. Is the message being displayed only when transmissions have finished for the day?

I suppose its possible that its only showing here in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Do UPC not have to supply HD boxes now that they accepted the must carry offer from RTE ? RTE2HD is now a basic must carry channel.

How are people with standard definition boxes meant to receive this channel which is carried free without cost to the UPC subscriber ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I have a HD box but don't have a HD subscription and until the weekend was able to view rte2 HD. Now I can't. Called UPC but have been given conflicting info: there's a problem with the channel at the moment or that I need a HD subscription.

RTE2HD has been supplied to them under Section 77 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 which stipulates that RTE must offer the channel.

Accordingly under same said legislation they must carry the channel without any extra cost to the subscriber.

This is not the first time that I have read this. I really hope UPC arent using this "confusion" to sell HD subscriptions.

You do not need a HD subscription to enjoy RTE2HD if you are a UPC customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Kinda off topic but why is RTE2HD a must carry channel? Also a lot of people don't have HD TV's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi all

Hope this answers your queries.

UPC is preparing to upgrade Galway to deliver 100Mb. 34,000 consumers will benefit from upcoming change.

As part of the upgrade initiative, UPC has contacted and offered approximately 2,700 customers using its analogue TV service the opportunity to transfer to digital services. For making the switchover, customers will be rewarded with 32 extra channels for less cost.

UPC wants to ensure that this customer base will have the option of using digital services in the future. This is also important as the analogue bandwidth needs to be adjusted to allow for the overall system improvements that are taking place. UPC is currently contacting customers directly with details.

Feel free to contact us on freephone for more info 1908

Regards

Jason

If you want to order new products from us and get a voucher for €50 through this boards offer, (and free activation of product) just click through this link http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/ (Please see the terms & conditions)

- For all customer service queries, please contact 1908.

**I am not authorised to comment in general threads without approval***

Well that clarifies everything. Jason thanks for the feedback :)

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Hi michaelduignan

I can confirm that anybody that has a HD capable box from UPC, will receive RTE2 HD as part of their standard subscription, a HD subscription is not required.

Regards

Jason
    Yes I have a standard UPC box. Paying 25 a month for digital plus tv. Speaking to a UPC rep yesterday - was told i could get rte2 hd by paying 5 euro extra a month.

For this 5 euro a month you get bbc hd and setanta hd also i think.

I presume you need a new box though as standard box connects to tv with SCART lead not HDMI cable.

I have saorview decoder built into my tv though so will get rte2 hd for free anyway.

You have confirmed above that I don't need a HD subscription for rte2 hd once I have a hd box (which I have).

What do I need to do to get this sorted out?

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

Freddie59 wrote: »
    My friend ordered a second Digital+ box for his home today by phone. Didn't have any issues.

I ordered a HD+ box on Tuesday and it's being delivered tomorrow. Just received a confirmation text from the courier

Liam

Once again, please call our technical support team. It is likely you have an error.

All UPC customers that have a HD box installed will get RTE2 HD free of charge.

Thanks

Jason

You have confirmed above that I don't need a HD subscription for rte2 hd once I have a hd box (which I have).

What do I need to do to get this sorted out?

Liam

Hi there Mountjoy Mugger

Just wanted to confirm that UPC is re-broadcasting on its platform stereo audio which is the standard that RTE TV production provide

Regards

Jason
    Are you saying you get Dolby Digital? Please clarify what you mean by "proper sound" No difference in sound quality is detected outside the ads either on UPC or on Saorview.

There is no identifier as to DD at any stage on RTE2 HD. UPC advise on twitter that it's up to RTE to decide what they broadcast (obviously)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

STB wrote: »
    Do UPC not have to supply HD boxes now that they accepted the must carry offer from RTE ? RTE2HD is now a basic must carry channel.

How are people with standard definition boxes meant to receive this channel which is carried free without cost to the UPC subscriber ?

They're not. You appear to be suggesting that UPC should upgrade everyone to a HD STB, free of charge, in order to receive this one channel (whose programming is identical to regular RTÉ Two, only with **some** programming in HD).

That's akin to saying that UPC (or NTL as they then were) should have upgraded everyone to digital when it launched, because they were providing RTÉ One and RTÉ Two in digital quality on the digital platform. They didn't and it won't be the case now.

Remember, its the same service as RTÉ Two, just with some programming in a higher quality picture format. Its not a different channel and viewers won't miss any programmes by not having it. If they want HD from UPC, they'll upgrade to HD and receive it that way. Or they can buy a Saorview STB and install an aerial if its only RTÉ Two HD they're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTÉ One +1 not available on Pace machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Liam

Once again, please call our technical support team. It is likely you have an error.

All UPC customers that have a HD box installed will get RTE2 HD free of charge.

Thanks

Jason

Jason,

Is it possible to purchase a HD box without availing of a HD subscription?

Benny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ One +1 not available on Pace machines?

Anyone else having this problem?

Advertisement