Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help me decide!

• 06-10-2008 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

Hey!
    Im trying to decide on a laptop to buy. Im not looking to cart it around with me, mainly just for having in the house to check mail etc.. but also to play some games. Just stuff like dawn of war, heroes of might and magic...

I have a pc for more demanding games.

The 2 machine im torn between are a 17inch dell studio and the 15inch Dell xps m1530.

The specs are:

XPS M1530

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.10 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache)
    15.4" Widescreen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
    4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
    320GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphic memory
    €1178

Studio 17

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.1 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 Cache,)
    17.0" Widescreen WUXGA+ CCFL (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
    4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
    250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3650
    €1069

Its been melting my brain trying to decide between the 2! :p
    I prefer the thought of the 17 inch for playing some game on but the xps just looks sexy! haha!

WHat do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

The graphics card in the XPS is a little bit better (so I have been told). It also may be a bit more portable as the Studio looks massive. Aparently the Studio does come with a blue ray player and the option of two hard discs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The XPS will be "cooler" than the studio, and probably better built, but i;ve heard nothing but bad things about those Nvidia chips recently, they fail due to heat issues, not as prevalent in the 1530, more a problem with the 1330. But even Nvidia has come clean about issues with the above card, and others. Also seeing that it will be desk bound/in the house, the 17" screen could be a benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

Well i have done some reading about a few sites and im being quite put off by the 8600gt, its also only slightly better than the HD 3650. And while the xps may be better build i would consider that if i was going to be carting the laptop around places with me, which im not going to be doing.

Im starting to lean towards the Studio 17.

Advertisement