Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Live games from blindfold simultaneous by GM Baburin

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

One game lost already, How many does he need for the record?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

One game lost already, How many does he need for the record?

He needs to win 12 according to the ICU press release: http://icu.ie/articles/display.php?id=445

Presumably 10 wins and 4 draws would be ok too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Cool, I hope he does it. It's mind boggling how anyone can play like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

They had a piece on the 9o'clock news worth watching on the rte player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Are they still playing? That's five hours and more, yeah? Literally incredible stuff. +5 =2 -2 so far.

• Advertisement

So how did this finish up?

I see his only two defeats were a result of blunders; hung a piece after 8 moves in one game, and apparently made a couple of silly mistakes in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Ciaran

cdeb wrote: »
    So how did this finish up?

I see his only two defeats were a result of blunders; hung a piece after 8 moves in one game, and apparently made a couple of silly mistakes in the other.

He didn't manage the record in the end. He lost a third game at about 11:30 after losing the thread and called it a day then. I think he was winning on plenty of the remaining boards though.

The other early loss was down to making three illegal moves. Still an incredible feat, I don't know about anyone else but my game felt like an ordinary simultaneous game.

Note to that effect on the ICU website too, with a full report up later. Shame. I'd imagine that passed pawn in the one other live game would be decisive for starters alright. ICU website says he reckoned he'd have to give up at least one more draw, leaving a max score of 11½/16. And the venue was closing anyway!

Anyone got any photos in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

groovie wrote: »
    They had a piece on the 9o'clock news worth watching on the rte player.
    the piece is about 21 minutes in. They use probably the strangest thing Mark Quinn told them, but Eamonn Keogh is articulate as ever. Good coverage for Irish chess overall. Well done to Baburin, Jonathan O'Connor and all the players involved, record or no record.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

Amazing performance, gotta hand it to Baburin.
    WebCam would have been interesting!

• Advertisement
Advertisement