Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any ideas what this is?

• 18-06-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

There's two of these after coming up in my garden, I don't recognise them, but then I have a terrible memory so I could very well have put them in in a mass bulb planting a few months ago. I know it can be hard to tell if it's not in flower, but if it's an invader I'd like to get it out asap.
    picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=9828
    picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=9827

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Could be a dahlia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They do look like dahlia leaves all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's possible. I wrote down what I'd planted, but for the life of me I can't find the blooming list. Dahlia sounds familiar, I hope that's what they are, they're a smashing looking flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Looks a bit like ground elder to me a terible weed

If it is a dahlia will it flower this year?

• Advertisement

Should do. I agree it does look like ground elder, but it has a rather different style of growth. Still if it suddenly pops up loads of shoots then maybe you should reconsider! I still think its a dahlia.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Must admit the second image made me think of Elder however as looksee says its a different growth pattern (closer to ground).
    Looks like a Dahlia all right ( phew!)

Cheers everyone, hopefully it's a dahlia. A friend of mine has recommended I leave it for a couple of years, and if it's blocking the back door by then it's probably not a dahlia:rolleyes:

picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=10189

This plant is still growing away. It's now about 3' high, hip height. There's no sign of a bud on on yet. My dad said he thinks it's Elder, but I think the leaves are wrong.

Are ye still saying Dahlia?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Your dad is right:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

It WILL flower! :(
    elderberry-bush-in-flower.jpg

However all is not lost. You can eat and drink it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Yes it's elder alright.I grow them for eating,drinking and for medicinal purposes...

Well, feck. Out with the shovel tomorrow so.

Yup - its looking a lot less like a dahlia now!

Advertisement