Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Applied Maths * predictions / discussion / aftermath (1 thread only please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 zuluin

i think u had to take negative a as they said deceleration. thats what i found out when i ended up with a negative answer . so i had to go back over and do q-10 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 KoolAndDaGang

Could have been worse I suppose, but certainly did not get an A. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dublad93

That was fairly woeful...

Anyone get for q1 (a t = 7/8
    (b t1+ t2 = t ???

q2 (a ii 49.6m??

q4 (a 3g/4?

q7 (a ii 21/100?

I remember getting 7 over 8 for 1a, if that helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dublad93

I remember getting 7 over 8 for 1a, if that helps. :)

haha sound...quite possibly one of the very few things i got right :D

• Advertisement

Haha I was just going to say that myself. . disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

I can't vouch for these answers being correct, but these are the answers I got:

1 (a) t = 7/8
    (b) t = t1 + t2
    Least time = 5t/3

2 (a ) -i + 8j
    (ii) 49.61 m

(b) 28.96 < theta < 60

3. (a) (I) x=50
    (II) tan inverse 3

(b) (I) tan inverse 3/2
    (II) e = 1/(sqrt 2)

4 (a) a = 5.023

(b) I didn't write down my values for the various tensions, because for some reason I got a negative tension? :confused:

6 (a) Omega = 4, a = 2.6, E = 0.395

(b) Omega = Sqrt (g/2)

10 (a) y = 2e^3.5

(b) (I) s = 200ln1.25

(II) 19.24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MedMan101

anybody want to confirm some answers for me?

Q1 a) 7/8
    b) ii) t iii)2t

Q2) a) i) -i-8j
    ii) 49.614m
    B) 28.96<Q<60. I got dis wrong, i piked d wrong angle by accident. dere was a choice of 60 and 13.174 nd i sed 13.173<Q<28.96. how stupid! :mad:

Q3) a) i) 50
    ii) 71.565
    b) i) 56.31
    ii) 1/(root)2

Q4) a) 2.153ms-2
    b) tensions: 120g/49, 219g/98, 365g/49

Q5) a) i) (1+6e)>0
    ii) e>1/4
    b) i) K= (1+e)/2
    ii) e= 3/4

Q10) a) y=66.231
    b) i) 44.629m
    ii) 0.336 ms-1

All in all, a lovely test!
    and i must say, Q5 was rediculously easy....took no more than 10 min!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 lufc1993

I can't vouch for these answers being correct, but these are the answers I got:

1 (a) t = 7/8
    (b) t = t1 + t2
    Least time = 5t/3

2 (a ) -i + 8j
    (ii) 49.61 m

(b) 28.96 < theta < 60

3. (a) (I) x=50
    (II) tan inverse 3

(b) (I) tan inverse 3/2
    (II) e = 1/(sqrt 2)

4 (a) a = 5.023

(b) I didn't write down my values for the various tensions, because for some reason I got a negative tension? :confused:

6 (a) Omega = 4, a = 2.6, E = 0.395

(b) Omega = Sqrt (g/2)

10 (a) y = 2e^3.5

(b) (I) s = 200ln1.25

(II) 19.24

didnt take down answers but 2,3,4,6 all look familiar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 lufc1993

**** forgot to say 28.96<theta<60 just wrote down answers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Brian123M

Q1 a 7/8
    b ii t1 + t2 = t
    iii 2/3 t (thats wrong)

Q2 b 29 < x < 60

Q3 a ii 74
    b i 68.2
    ii root34/root35 or something similar to that

Q5 a ii e > 3/8
    b i e+1 / 2

Q8 forgot the answers

Q10 a 2e^7/2

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

Though i'm the only one likely to ever post on this again (bar teachers), i'd just like to send out a huge apology to everyone who read my earlier post, about doing question 7.
    It was shocking. Bloody awful. For a topic called 'statics' there was a good bit of motion involved. Hooke's law, i don't know if that's on the Applied maths course, but it was needed. I spent so long on that i barely got onto part b,

but the angles were so odd that i know alot of trigonometry was involved, and would have taken ages. I threw down some equation using what i though some of the angles were (90 minus alpha all over the place), hoping to get some marks.

Integration was lovely! Not sure about the very end, i just put total distance over total time to get the average, but the rest was fine.
    Thanks so much to ye here, got me thinking about manipulating fractions in a way that made today's very easy.

Got all the tensions in connected particles, that was really easy?

never got a value between 0 and 1 for e in nay question though, generally large than 10 though once i had -0.336??
    lufc1993 wrote:
    forgot to say 28.96<theta<60 just wrote down answers
    The first looks very familiar, not sure if i got 28 point something or 26 point something. The second angle though, i got 41 point something. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I quite liked Q7. Part a was grand once you knew to apply hooke's law. And for part be, you could replace any sin(90-theta) with cos(theta).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 deiseguuy93

how could anyone be happy with that exam?

I quite liked Q7. Part a was grand once you knew to apply hooke's law. And for part be, you could replace any sin(90-theta) with cos(theta).
    I knew you could that, from maths, but i don't know if saying 90 - theta was right in the first place, just took a guess cos time was up.

Is hooke's even on the syllabus? i mean i do physics so fair enuf but there are some ppl who dont.

we've never done anything with elastic string in app maths and its like 2 pages in physics, so im probably screwed for it. There were probably a few different values for acceleration you needed right?

I woulda done projectiles but i saw the bounce (as predicted) and just said no. i cant do the bounce DX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Alcohol_MAN

Okay what can we say about the tensions?
    heres my answer for queation 4 b

Light pulley string> 225N
    5kg pulley> 58. something N (negative though) :?
    2kg > 44.1 N

anyone wanna correct me?

also though i did well

1) a)7/8
    b) couldn't do

3)
    a) 50
    b) (WTF??)

a) 1/4 < e < 1

6)
    b) (20g)^1/2

10 a) y=2
    b) t= 6. something
    average = 7. something :S

if anyone can comfirm or correct these it would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

Im kind of pleased 'cos I tried!! But I've kind of been neglecting Applied Maths all year, cos it was my eighth subject!! I knew that I could have done everything if I had studied, or gone over it at all, but I'm not really bothered since everything else went great!!
    I got answers for everything, but I might have bluffed my way through some questions and made stuff up!! Anyway, it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be!! Here's hoping it goes well!
    /rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 knjmooney

Okay what can we say about the tensions?
    heres my answer for queation 4 b

Light pulley string> 225N
    5kg pulley> 58. something N (negative though) :?
    2kg > 44.1 N

anyone wanna correct me?

also though i did well

1) a)7/8
    b) couldn't do

3)
    a) 50
    b) (WTF??)

a) 1/4 < e < 1

6)
    b) (20g)^1/2

10 a) y=2
    b) t= 6. something
    average = 7. something :S

if anyone can comfirm or correct these it would be much appreciated :)

1 a) and 5 a) look good, I can't confirm 6 but everything else doesn't look great.... sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anna_k

that was pretty tough....strangely i think my pre (the deb one) was better :mad:
    I don't really care now though...it was only an extra subject...and I'm so glad the leaving is over!!!!! :D

anna_k wrote: »
    that was pretty tough....strangely i think my pre (the deb one) was better :mad:
    I don't really care now though...it was only an extra subject...and I'm so glad the leaving is over!!!!! :D
    Do i know you? Name looks familiar..

• Advertisement

I knew you could that, from maths, but i don't know if saying 90 - theta was right in the first place, just took a guess cos time was up.

Is hooke's even on the syllabus? i mean i do physics so fair enuf but there are some ppl who dont.

we've never done anything with elastic string in app maths and its like 2 pages in physics, so im probably screwed for it. There were probably a few different values for acceleration you needed right?

I woulda done projectiles but i saw the bounce (as predicted) and just said no. i cant do the bounce DX

It is on the syllabus, it composes of half of Q6 (Sometimes the full question)
    In that particular question you had to calculate the extension (prove that it was 7cm) and then after that it's a normal statics question, except instead of tension in the string supporting the particle, it's the restoring force of the spring.

You're expected to cover the whole course, even if you only do six questions. I know the majority of people can leave out hydrostatics without worrying about it coming up in other sections, but SHM and circular motion are pretty closely linked to statics anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

Hooke's law is definitely on the syllabus, yeah. It comes up semi-often in SHM. That question on the paper is VERY like ones I've done before (almost identical, in fact to some) and didn't involve much thinking. Part (i) was using trigonometry (you had the length of a side and the tan of the angle).

Part (ii) was just equating tension to -ks.

Hooke's law is definitely on the syllabus, yeah. It comes up semi-often in SHM. That question on the paper is VERY like ones I've done before (almost identical, in fact to some) and didn't involve much thinking. Part (i) was using trigonometry (you had the length of a side and the tan of the angle).

Part (ii) was just equating tension to -ks.
    Very like one in SHM, or statics? we've never done SHM...
    I hate my half-assed teacher. We had two classes a week at 8.10 for two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Alcohol_MAN

I just realized i F-ed ten in the A!!!!

Did any1 else do question 8 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

Very like one in SHM, or statics? we've never done SHM...
    I hate my half-assed teacher. We had two classes a week at 8.10 for two years.

I can't remember - I just remember looking at the question and thinking I'd done one so very like it that it took no time at all. I got it done in less than five minutes cause I was on autopilot. Barely finished (and not sure if right) the b part... but I did start it with fifteen minutes left as an extra question. :/

We only ever had one class a week from four until six... Long class, but enjoyable cause we had the best teacher :D

Brian123M wrote: »
    Did any1 else do question 8 ?

I did. Was a nice enough question.

What answer did u get for angular velocity and the length of a simple pendulum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anna_k

Do i know you? Name looks familiar..
    probably...im a really popular person.
    no really...you possibly do although I can't say your name looks familiar:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mr_brightside

Does anyone know is there such thing as attempt marks, or is it the five or nothing? Is it in any way like the maths where one stupid slip only costs you a mark if all the actual maths bits are right?

Though Q6 was unreal, seemed a bit too good to be honest.. any one get omega = 7 ? And then 10 a i think i made a balls of, should it have worked out really evenly or was it sort of awkward?

Advertisement