Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I wood chip a small garden?

• 24-07-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I was thinking of putting down wood chip instead of grass in a small garden, the area is covering maybe 20 feet by 20. The idea is just put down a weed barrier and then a few inches of wood chip. I see wood chip used to keep down weeds in flower beds and used on kids playgrounds and horses gallops but not usually as the mainstay of a garden , is there any reason for this , is this an idea to avoid and why?

cheers for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

No reason why it couldn't be done but there are a few considerations...

Cats love littering in bark mulch.. if there are cats in your area it may be a problem..
    Bark mulch composts, and will need topping up about every two years..

That leads on to another problem I've seen a few times with your plan.. You put down the weed membrane with bark chip on top.. After a number of years it will have composted down quite a layer of real good quality soil on the top of the weed membrane.. This will grow just as serious weeds as you initially had and over such a large area may become quite a problem

Personally I see that a deeper initial layer of mulch with no fabric a better plan, if you kill off any serious weeds first then the deeper layer will give just as good of control..

Weed membrane I think is best suited to stone mulches or where a growing ground cover is planted through which will completely cover the area..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

It can give you a low maintenance garden, but cost wise.. You have too spray existing lawn/ garden then cover with mypex/ weed control fabric also you have approx 50sq mtrs too cover, 1 tonne bay of bark covers 10sq mtrs at approx 70euro x 5 bags= 350euro pus labour and fabric & spray..

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

You could also try crumb rubber, which I have used in flower beds. I'm not sure how the cats get on with that stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 fleck

Thanks guys, i might rethink it, i hadn't considered it would compost down. I don't want grass so i might go for paving or stones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

john t wrote: »
    It can give you a low maintenance garden, but cost wise.. You have too spray existing lawn/ garden then cover with mypex/ weed control fabric also you have approx 50sq mtrs too cover, 1 tonne bay of bark covers 10sq mtrs at approx 70euro x 5 bags= 350euro pus labour and fabric & spray..

Where are you going with that figure??

The OPs garden is 20 x 20 feet so where did you get 50 square meters from??

50 x 1 meter roll of Mypex is approx 60 euro retail.Cheaper if you shop around or haggle,or if you can get it at trade price.

Around 20 bags of Bark Mulch at 8 euro a bag is 160 euro.Enough to do the job,with possibly some left over.

Thats 220 euro including the Mypex and not 350 euro.

P.S-You also dont need to spray.Go to any decent hire shop and hire out a petrol powered self driving turf cutter for 40 euro,and you can take up the entire garden in a few hours.

Even with the cost of hiring 1 out that is still only 260 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

paddy147 wrote: »
    Where are you going with that figure???:eek:

The OPs garden is 20 x 20 FEET so where did you get 50 square meters from?????
    20 foot is just less than 7 metres.
    seven metres by seven metres is 49 square metres.
    did you think he meant 50 metres square?

to be fair, 20ft x 20ft is just over 37sq m.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

20 foot is just less than 7 metres.
    seven metres by seven metres is 49 square metres.
    did you think he meant 50 metres square?

to be fair, 20ft x 20ft is just over 37sq m.

Yep just a shade over 37 square meters,and not 50 square meters.
    Thats a big difference and a difference in costings too.

Advertisement