Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbors Spreading Lies About Me.

• 22-08-2014 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Everyone,

I´m in a difficult position and don´t know what to do. My next door neighbors have spread lies to all my family and also other neighbors, saying that I was harrassing them.

It has been depressing me for a long time. My relationship with my cousins and aunties and uncles has been destroyed. My mother passed away when I was a teenager and I already was fatherless. So with the remaining family believing lies about me I feel terrible and very disappointed.

Me and my sister have our family home, when our Mother passed away we continued living their, as our cousins live a few houses down. We have a front garden without a wall. Our footpath is side by side to our neighbors. With the drives ways next to each footpath.

Our neghbors started parking at the edge of their path and then using our path as their path. This was going on for years. They had been cutting our lawn so we were in a difficult position about saying something to them.

They would often be using our path at the same time as I would be coming home or leaving so I would have to either walk on my grass or wait for them to finish using it.

I had had enough so I asked them why they were doing it. It was very difficult for me to ask as I am quite shy. They are a couple in their 60´s. At first they denied it, saying my path was under my grass. But I pointed out that it has just been my prvious driveway that had been grassed over. They then admitted that it was my path.

They asked me to go back into their house and then they started calling me a smart-ass and told me to cop on. I was absolutely shocked and left.

The next morning I was woken up by someone banging on my front door window. I went downstairs and opened the door. It was then pushed open. It was my neighbors eldest daughter, with her husband and my neighbor (the wife) behind her. She tried to force her way into my house. I had to push the dorr closed after a good ten second struggle.

She started shouting abuse at me, accusing me of being on drugs, saying I had been harrassing her parents, and saying I was a disgrace to my deceased mother. I was very shaken.

They were saying that the paths were communal and that they had a right to use it. I stuck up for myself however saying my mother worked hard all her life bringing up two kids to but the property.

Anyway long story short it turns out that the daughter then went to my cousin after school (their kids go to same school) and told her I was harrassing her parents. She also went to my auntie and uncle.

So now practically all of my family think that I was harrassing them. I became an orphan after my mother died when I was a teenager. My family are all I have. I feel very upset about this. I also found out that they were spreading lies to my neighbors, as one of them told me.

I now live abroad, and the thought of even going back to my home town and seeing my family is very off-putting. They don´t belive a word I say, and don´t even admit that they believe my neighbors. They try to brush everything under the carpet.

Can someone please help?!

Thanks,

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The major issue is a property rights question. I doubt that it can be answered accurately without seeing the deeds and maps.

See a solicitor who can take up copies of the relevant deeds and maps and possibly hire an engineer to check boundaries, if necessary.

If you are not in a position to hire a private solicitor, go to the Legal Aid Board. Although the Legal Aid Board may not deal with property disputes, it may deal with issues concerning nuisance, so it might be covered under that.

There are other issues of accusations of harassment which may be dealt with, if the underlying issue is resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 whatcanido29

Hi sorry I forgot to mention. Me and my sister have told them we are building a wall. We got a local surveyer to measure it and there was no protests from them.

My issue is about the harrassment accusations. It really upsets me.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

We got a local surveyer to measure it and there was no protests from them.

The whole problem here is about property rights and whose boundary ends where. The proposed wall is a likely source of trouble. See a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Defamation perhaps? Neighbour proof of this. As above, talk to a solicitor. You might find your family will see sense in the end. You might think to have more communication with them in these types of things before anything, or very soon after a flare up.

Advertisement