Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, awful demo. Why not just give you two minutes :confused: The way the screen fills with light and cuts you off is just bizarre.

It's not really enough time to get to grips with it, but it all does feel very off. Some seemingly good landings lead to bails. Grinding / lip tricks feel too easy. Camera is sluggish.

All they really needed to do was basically directly port the perfected mechanics of the third game, remake a handful of AAA levels from the first two with HD textures, add a few new tricks / objectives / multiplayer modes / leaderboards, and huzzah. Oh, and do it well. I can't believe they managed to mess it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yeah, awful demo. Why not just give you two minutes :confused: The way the screen fills with light and cuts you off is just bizarre.

It's not really enough time to get to grips with it, but it all does feel very off. Some seemingly good landings lead to bails. Grinding / lip tricks feel too easy. Camera is sluggish.

All they really needed to do was basically directly port the perfected mechanics of the third game, remake a handful of AAA levels from the first two with HD textures, add a few new tricks / objectives / multiplayer modes / leaderboards, and huzzah. Oh, and do it well. I can't believe they managed to mess it up!

See this is where i took major exception after playing it, after all the re-releases and HD editions of late, Metal Gear, resi, Silent Hill, Devil May cry, they released some as they where like sega collections Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Alex Kid..... etc, why could they not have done the same with TH 1-3 and just straight port them as a collection . The difference here is based on all the other games I've mentioned, no matter how they look all play the same as the originals this (TH) is just poo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

calex71 wrote: »
    See this is where i took major exception after playing it, after all the re-releases and HD editions of late, Metal Gear, resi, Silent Hill, Devil May cry, they released some as they where like sega collections Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Alex Kid..... etc, why could they not have done the same with TH 1-3 and just straight port them as a collection . The difference here is based on all the other games I've mentioned, no matter how they look all play the same as the originals this (TH) is just poo.

Actually I almost prefer the idea of revisiting the older games. I think the basic engine of 3 with remakes of some (if not all) of the THPS 1+2 levels would be fantastic, with better graphic, FPS etc... Can't imagine the balancing would be that hard at all. Retain the good bells and whistles, but bring it back to its score attack glory days. Would be more interesting than just straight remakes. Also, as far as I can gather, would be more interesting than THPSHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Tried the demo last night which left me with a mega sad face.

The screen filling with light as you bail is very annoying especially when coupled with the fact that landing appears to have a 50/50 success rate regardless of how well you come off a jump.

On a slightly positive note I didn't hate the the few new additions to the soundtrack.

I've been playing Tony Hawks 2 on my phone recently, yes the graphics are dated but it still controls well and so I enjoy it. I was ready to throw money at this (even at 1200microsoft points) but now I will wait for it to go on sale, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Ok first of all I have to say I'm really enjoying it, physics feel a little different, but nothing I can't get to grips with. For everyone moaning about the lack of Revert, that wasn't brought in till THPS 3 and the levels werent designed around having the ability in 1 an 2 (it would have make the sick score challenges a joke) The one problem I have is that wallriding is a little hit and miss. But aside from that its well worth the 1200 points IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Yeah I downloaded the demo last night to give it a go and it felt a little bit dodgy, it just didnt feel right.

I used to be able to land almost everything and I was bailing constantly.

I figured I was just rusty so forked out the 1200 points. Played it for a few hours and its good. Not quite as good as I remembered but still good, probably only worth 800 points I reckon.

A few of the tricks seem a bit hit and miss, Wall rides etc but overall its not as bad as made out.

There is free skate in as well which is a good addition if you hate playing for only two minutes.

Overall am glad I picked it up and hope the DLC that comes will be good and soon, am already half way through career mode. :)

How did the game even get the green light without couch co-op?

Who wants to play TONY on their own?? Except maybe for the purpose of improving their skills in order to rape said mate at next co-op session!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Its available on XBLA, yet its stated as still in development for PC and PS3 users with no actual release date :confused:

Its supposed to be coming out on PS3 a month after it lands on Xbox (or at least thats what the word is)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People having problems nailing moves it's probably the controller you are using and you are playing on 360. The Dualshock controller is one of the worst designed controllers ever but one thing it does have going for it is that it's absolutely perfect for Tony Hawks and makes it much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People having problems nailing moves it's probably the controller you are using and you are playing on 360. The Dualshock controller is one of the worst designed controllers ever but one thing it does have going for it is that it's absolutely perfect for Tony Hawks and makes it much easier.

What did you make of the demo?

You could be onto something there!

And yes the demo is horrendous, like honestly, why not let you finish the 2 minute run, would 30 seconds really make that much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The physics are all over the place though. Like you can stay in a half pipe, not touching a button and still get more and more air with everytime you go up and down.

I get your point completely because even after years of only playing a 360, playing THPS yesterday felt weird not having a PS controller but at the same time there's faaaaaaar too many short comings in the basics of the game for it to be down to the controller.

Definitely much more than mere controller. Landing seems relatively OK on verts, but jumping gaps and stuff seems like potluck because of the unreliable camera and bizarre physics.

The thing is I could see this being patched to improve the slightly wonky physics, and hopefully make wallrides a bit easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

There is some funky physics problems I noticed but I'd say they will be patched out soon. Nothing gamebreaking but they can be annoying, especially trying to land wallrides. As for landings being 50/50 I really have no idea what people mean, there is the big drops where you will get the screen prompt and need to hold in A untill you lad safely which is new to me but otherwise it feels like the old hawk games.

I dont know why everyone is bashing it so badly though, I had THPS3 and 4 on the other day and this feels very very similar and I have 1 and 2 upstairs which I might take out just for comparisons sake. Took me a while to adjust to little differences but ended up grabbing a top 90 high score in the hanger :P landing combos like a younger me :D

But complaining about no revert when these levels (designed without revert in the games) and high scores would be broken with it is just silly, also it was mentioned that there is no moves list or gaps list when both are in the game :\
    Its nowhere near good enough to live up to the nostalgia factor is all, lower your expectations a bit and its classic Tony Hawks on the xbox, online.

One complaint that is definitely true: The 360 controller is a fecking nightmare.

Danonino. wrote: »
    But complaining about no revert when these levels (designed without revert in the games) and high scores would be broken with it is just silly, also it was mentioned that there is no moves list or gaps list when both are in the game :\
    Its nowhere near good enough to live up to the nostalgia factor is all, lower your expectations a bit and its classic Tony Hawks on the xbox, online.

My problem is that it positions itself as a full, ground-up remake but then only goes half the way. I genuinely can't imagine the revert 'breaking' the game - just readjust the 'sick' score criteria upwards to allow for the new higher combos. THPS3 onwards featured remakes of 'classic' levels (with a few minor architectural changes, maybe) and integrated new features perfectly. And the THPS1 levels were never designed with manual in mind, but they have been added with nary a bother.

The result is a game that feels like its positioned as a weird hybrid - old and new. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the removal of the THPS3 (and, to a much lesser degree, 4) moves are an unfortunate reversion.

Also, I fully admit my ability to comment in-depth is limited due to only having played the demo. But it's a wholly unconvincing demo, and it changed my mind from an insta-buy (this was the first game I was genuinely looking forward to in a few months) to a big old 'meh'. The negative opinions streaming in - a mere 4/10 from the ever-reliable Gamecentral - further convinced me my virtual money was best retained for the Steam sale. And that's depressing, as I was looking forward to some high-quality leaderboard obsession.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Should have read the thread more, I was commenting more on my experience of playing THPSs various ports and on third party controllers, haven't played the demo. Seems the port has a lot more problems which is a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Guys, just pick up any of the skate games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

thorbarry wrote: »

As a matter of interest, to those who've played the series, which of the skate games is the best?

• Advertisement

My problem is that it positions itself as a full, ground-up remake but then only goes half the way. I genuinely can't imagine the revert 'breaking' the game - just readjust the 'sick' score criteria upwards to allow for the new higher combos. THPS3 onwards featured remakes of 'classic' levels (with a few minor architectural changes, maybe) and integrated new features perfectly. And the THPS1 levels were never designed with manual in mind, but they have been added with nary a bother.

The result is a game that feels like its positioned as a weird hybrid - old and new. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the removal of the THPS3 (and, to a much lesser degree, 4) moves are an unfortunate reversion.

Also, I fully admit my ability to comment in-depth is limited due to only having played the demo. But it's a wholly unconvincing demo, and it changed my mind from an insta-buy (this was the first game I was genuinely looking forward to in a few months) to a big old 'meh'. The negative opinions streaming in - a mere 4/10 from the ever-reliable Gamecentral - further convinced me my virtual money was best retained for the Steam sale. And that's depressing, as I was looking forward to some high-quality leaderboard obsession.

Rereading my post I sound a little too forgiving for its flaws, there are flaws but not to the extent of what people are making them out to be. I agree revert should have been in and the manual tricks (casper slides etc) from 4 should have been added too but I just thought it was a weird complaint when the game plays more like 1 and 2 without them in.

"The game just can't hold a candle to its predecessors. Playing the remake is like listening to a classic band on a reunion tour. The song lyrics haven't changed, but the magic just isn't there."

I definitely think its better than a 4/10. It was slightly disappointing but not a failure by any stretch. Online is hella fun and holds up pretty well, Big Head mode is great fun, the levels are a good selection of classics in my opinion. It is slightly overpriced at 1200mp but it seems the xbla games are going up in price even 1600mp games are starting to arrive more frequently :(

But then I'd be playing skate along with its stick mechanics, Skate games are awesome and well worth playing but the early Tony Hawks games are more like a highscore arcade combo game. Oranges and apples really. THPS4 is still my favorite by far. Before it went all Jackass and crap with the underground and that godawfull american wasteland game. The skate games are very very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, to those who've played the series, which of the skate games is the best?

Skate 2 and 3 are both very good games. Having played 2 first I prefer that, but 3 is a very good game as well with improved visuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Skate 2 and 3 are both very good games. Having played 2 first I prefer that, but 3 is a very good game as well with improved visuals.

Agree with 2 being best of the 3, I would have said much better than 3 though,not that 3 was that bad just didn't warm to it in the same way I guess and that over all it felt very easy in comparison to the previous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Liked playing Skate 1 online (spot battles in particular), but I could never go online in 2 or 3, something to do with my ea account and the ea servers, I only rented Skate 3 as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Completely forgot about this and downloaded the demo this morning. I knew it was all going downhill when I didn't see this. (Haven't paid attention to TH games since THUG2)

Controls feel clunky and far too easy to get air. Not worth the price IMO. Activision have really dropped the ball on this.

I will be taking out my ps2 tomorrow to play a few games of this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Skate 2 for me aswell lads, absolutely brilliant game. Couldn't really get into 3.

Was quite underwhelmed by the THPSHD demo and decided against getting it. Actually thinking about getting Skate 2 again instead now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

With all this talk of Tony Hawk, I got the first two out of the attic and gave them a bash. The original was quite difficult to play, but the controls for the second game were a lot better. Perhaps I should give the HD demo a go :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

PC versions still work online with hamachi.

pain in the arse to set up but it does work eventually.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well that was a waste of bandwidth and time time. Mega disappointed.

• Advertisement

Just beat the achievements today. The score 200 points in the warehouse without any manuals was deadly, I think they should have made missions based around this instead of just the one achievement. The 30 seconds after time is up combo in Marseilles was a tough one too, and collecting the skateboars was serious hard in a level or two.
    Unlocked two characters too:
    Officer Dick for 100% career finished and Ollie the Bum for finishing all projectives
    :D

Downloaded in a friends house for a game or two and both of the lads there said the demo was ****e and turned them off the game, yet one has bought it since and the other is waiting for the PS3 version :confused:

I think the demo has done far more harm than good, If they had used the downhill Jam or Mall level with Renoylds or Mullen as the character I think it would have went down a lot better. Both levels look amazing and both characters behave more like people would remember THPS playing like. I was only plaing 3/4 and the undergrounds a few days before I bought this and they behave almost identical outside of bails. Bails are weird in this game with the white screen and sometimes super funky physics, but then again if your falling your doing it wrong :P
    I think some reviewers have a warped memory of how these games played, I mean I've read some saying it behaves nothing like THPS should and thats just bull****.
    I honestly think this game got slated when it didn't deserve it.

Anyway I enjoyed it, might try 100% it in the future as you get a second style (clothes) for each skater you complete career mode with but would have no problem paying for more content in the future. One of the very few arcade games I downloaded and just couldn't put down.

Advertisement