Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

whit weekend..dont go near the water!

• 01-06-2008 4:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

i was asking my dad did he want to come fishing with me over the weekend, and he said that all his life he has never gone near river or lake during whit weekend! apparantly there is some old irish custom of avoiding rivers during whit! id never heard of it but he insists he got it from his parents etc.. and funnily enough somebody else mentioned it to me last week at work (maybe its an old cavan thing).

anybody else ever heard it before?

oh and what exactly on the religious calender is whit??

*goes off to google..*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

gottit... "Pentecost or Whitsun is observed on the seventh Sunday after Easter. The word Pentecost has its roots in the Greek "pentekoste" meaning the fiftieth day after Easter. Whit Sunday commemorates the coming of the Holy Spirit in the form of flames to the Apostles, as recorded in the New Testament. The recent adoption of a Late Spring Bank Holiday on the last Monday in May is an attempt to deal with the fact that Whitsuntide is a moveable feast dependent on the date of Easter. Although it is no longer necessarily at the church's Whitsuntide, the general public still refers to this holiday as "Whit Monday."

still doesnt explain the not going near water bit though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I like his whit wit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

To whit to whoooo a merry goat or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

*tumbleweed*

judas101 wrote: »
    *tumbleweed*

i believe judas actually hung himself from a Lebethron or Mallorn tree, not a tumbleweed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

flanum wrote: »
    ...moveable feast...
    That made me hungry.

well i heard that statement from loads of other auld wans yesterday. I decided not to go fishing at all this weekend so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

You didn't go fishing cuz of some weird ass catholic tradition?

Dude.........harden the f*ck up!

Advertisement