Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where do you practice/play?

Options
  • 16-12-2004 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭

Well, where do you play?

In the bedroom? Shed? Rented rehearsal room?

I play through a Marshall G80 (which isnt great, but very loud) - the problem is that i cant really get anything out of that amp at room-level volume and Irish architecture doesnt really allow for Marshalls to be cranked up :) .
    And that's a pain in the ass.

So what do you guys do? Or do you all have Microcubes?
    My neighbour two doors down doesnt seem to have this problem coz he regularly fits a whole band in his kitchen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I play the drums. Got the shed semi sound proofed, carpet on walls and insulation. Does the job. No complaints yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

If i had a shed i'd do the same and be sorted! :)

Can you get a good set of ear phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I play the drums. Got the shed semi sound proofed, carpet on walls and insulation. Does the job. No complaints yet!

Question. How did you "semi" soundproof the shed. I ask because I intend to do this myself. I play drums. Just carpet and insulation or did you get proper soundproofing materials?

Nah, that won't do it....

(referring to earphones)

• Advertisement

Just put carpet around all the walls in the shed then covered in wood then a line of felt. Just the normal house insulation in the roof. Its not totally sound proof but cant really be heard in the house. Maybe just the snare but i hit pretty hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Cool. I want to insulate/sound-proof for the full band as well as myself. So might need a bit more. Thanks though.

anything that absorbs sound is good. Egg cartons are good and the things apples come in.

"I play through a Marshall G80 (which isnt great, but very loud) - the problem is that i cant really get anything out of that amp at room-level volume and Irish architecture doesnt really allow for Marshalls to be cranked up .
    And that's a pain in the ass."

Do you really need it loud? you'll just deafen yourself

Not looking for gig volume, just something more reasonable than room volume for a Marshall.

I might have to get a smaller practice amp.

Why not ask the neighbour how he does it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i got my jammin room sorted out downstairs its away from the rest of the house, isnt exaclty near the sittin room.... i practice alot without being plugged in anywhere around the house, but i practice pretty loud, dont exactly have neighbours right next door, so its fine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I just don't care, it's just students living next door :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I practice in the dining room... It's the room that's never used so it makes sense. Plus it's not directly connected to the neighbours and there's polystrene under the wall paper so it kinda almost dampens the sound.

Plus the neighbours are away most of the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

In an old Bodhran factory.. on the outskirts of Athy..

On second thought i think i should just tell the missus to pack up and get the hell out, that way i get an entire bedroom for my amp and guitars. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ancient1 wrote:
    On second thought i think i should just tell the missus to pack up and get the hell out, that way i get an entire bedroom for my amp and guitars. :D

Ahhh, I see you've met Plan B! :p

Good plan, isnt it? If Carslberg did plan B's........... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Practice in the shed now that we have one.
    Used to have to practice in the bathroom as it's the furthest room from our neighbours. They never complained or anything but I always felt bad as they've a little baby.

Shed is great now though, don't bother anyone at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Bedroom + Microcube

Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

We practice in our drummers garage which he has soundproofed, to a certain extent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I play drums. Luckily my dad has a place in Sandyford so myself and the band play up there. No bloody neighbours telling us to shut up and we can play as loudly as we like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

at our singers house in his shed....pretty cold these days at 11 in the night! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

sound_wave wrote:
    at our singers house in his shed....pretty cold these days at 11 in the night! :eek:

jessy :p

Advertisement