Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Gatica wrote: »
    I don't get why people consider failure to plan ahead an emergency. If you had to get emergency documents last year, one would think that it would make sense to check documents in plenty of time and not be rushing with another "emergency" application.

Because money is tight. We'd budgeted passports for May (my son's as well). We sent them off two months in advance but only after we sent them,did we hear about problems in the uk system. When it wasn't moving through the system we went for an Irish one. We only heard last week about a problem with the Birth cert and had to wait for all the stuff to come back before we could book an appointment. Then none were available. So, off high horse please. We did what we had to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Because money is tight. We'd budgeted passports for May (my son's as well). We sent them off two months in advance but only after we sent them,did we hear about problems in the uk system. When it wasn't moving through the system we went for an Irish one. We only heard last week about a problem with the Birth cert and had to wait for all the stuff to come back before we could book an appointment. Then none were available. So, off high horse please. We did what we had to do...
    Gatica wrote: »
    If that were to be the case without good reason, then in my opinion that would be an abuse of the system.

Fair enough, I can understand that you were budgeting for these expensive documents and you were giving it 2 months originally. What I said was if it were without good reason...
    Going through passport hell here this last few weeks.....

Is anyone else mystified why it's quicker to get your passport through the postal express service than get an appointment for an emergency passport - absolute madness. Last year the appointment system worked like a dream and I had my passport in a few days, what's happened in the last 12 months?

I would say only in Ireland but we're also trying to get one through the British Passport Service as well. 600,000 back-log!!!! Got an appointment for an Emergency Travel Document today, issued in 15 minutes but an extra €125. The more cynical may view the back log as a huge money spinner, it's a wonder Ireland hasn't adopted it as well!

However, you're giving out about the Irish system when you were failed by a different one. The fact that you're having to get these emergency Irish passports, when another state hasn't issued you one in time is not the Irish passport office's fault. On top of that if you're picking up your travel docs now, then it would seem you were able to get sorted out here, while not by the other country's office...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

No, I believe I was giving out about both systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Purdia

Would appreciate help with the following query, if anyone can help please? I have emailed the passport office three times but have received no reply as yet and they are not taking any telephone calls.

My daughter was born in April 2005 in Dublin and has had an Irish passport since she was a baby (renewed several times now!). Her passport is yet again up for renewal and I need to know whether it is a requirement to include either my passport or my husband's passport with her renewal application alongside her old passport and long form birth cert?

I understand fully the requirement to include the parent's passport on first application for a child born after 1st Jan 2005 but I just don't understand why it would be required for subsequent renewal applications, when she has already proved her entitlement to an Irish passport, if you know what I mean?

I have a family member abroad who is potentially seriously ill and we may need our own passports to travel at short notice hence my query.

Thanks in anticipation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Purdia wrote: »
    Would appreciate help with the following query, if anyone can help please? I have emailed the passport office three times but have received no reply as yet and they are not taking any telephone calls.

My daughter was born in April 2005 in Dublin and has had an Irish passport since she was a baby (renewed several times now!). Her passport is yet again up for renewal and I need to know whether it is a requirement to include either my passport or my husband's passport with her renewal application alongside her old passport and long form birth cert?

I understand fully the requirement to include the parent's passport on first application for a child born after 1st Jan 2005 but I just don't understand why it would be required for subsequent renewal applications, when she has already proved her entitlement to an Irish passport, if you know what I mean?

I have a family member abroad who is potentially seriously ill and we may need our own passports to travel at short notice hence my query.

Thanks in anticipation :)

Providing that your daughter's previous passport has not been lost/stolen/damaged/mutilated, my understanding is that you just need to provide your daughter's previous Irish passport, and her long form birth certificate. You don't need to provide your passport or your husband's passport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

No, I believe I was giving out about both systems.
    I'm sorry that you're broke but you're gaming the system and then giving out about it!

You're using a facility that's there for actual emergencies not one for people to use as a savings mechanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

They've had mine for 8 working days and it's already being checked, it's a renewal but I needed my birth name put on it for visa purposes. Must be catching up on any delays! Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

Arrived at the passport office yesterday at 2pm, got my (ten year) passport today at 3pm. Beautiful. Also, I was never asked where I'm traveling or why, just when. So the fact that I'm going on holiday (ie luxury travel, not emergency) wasn't held against me. Passport cost 150 euro.

Maybe I was just incredibly lucky but it seems that if you present yourself, you'll get what you need.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hi lads

Travelling to Liverpool with Ryanair on August 9th. Have never had a passport before and am ready to submit for my first one (eg have forms done etc)

What should I do to ensure I have my passport for the 9th of August?

Cork is my nearest office, I don't mind paying extra rather than losing money on hotel, flight etc.

Thanks

marno21 wrote: »
    Hi lads

Travelling to Liverpool with Ryanair on August 9th. Have never had a passport before and am ready to submit for my first one (eg have forms done etc)

What should I do to ensure I have my passport for the 9th of August?

Cork is my nearest office, I don't mind paying extra rather than losing money on hotel, flight etc.

Thanks

Are you under or over 18? How did you acquire Irish citizenship (I.e. Were you born in Ireland, and if not, what's your link to Ireland? Do you have Irish-born parents or grandparents? Or are you a naturalised Irish citizen?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Are you under or over 18? How did you acquire Irish citizenship (I.e. Were you born in Ireland, and if not, what's your link to Ireland? Do you have Irish-born parents or grandparents? Or are you a naturalised Irish citizen?)

Over 18, born & living in Ireland

Then you'd have to provide
    • 4 passport sized photos (preferably from a photo both that conforms to Irish passport standards)
    • passport application form filled out completely and signed and stamped by the Gardaí - make sure the Garda stamps and signs the back of 2 of your photos
    • your original long form birth cert (or a certified copy issued by the GRO), a utility bill, and original civil marriage cert if applicable
    • original photo ID (or a certified copy) e.g., work ID, driver's licence, college registration card, etc
    • proof of name, e.g., bank statement, payslip, social welfare receipts, etc.
    • proof of address, e.g., utility bill, correspondence from a public organisation or private company

Passport Express is your best bet - average turnaround is 10 to 12 working days at the moment according to the website. As you are flying out at the start of next month, you should have plenty of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Is that because of the summer backlog? or has this changed recently to take longer in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Sent my application from Dublin, but it was processed in Cork. Must be sharing the workload to speed up processing times, good idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Sent my application from Dublin, but it was processed in Cork. Must be sharing the workload to speed up processing times, good idea!

Ya, we took 1,000 applications from Dublin last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Hello,

Can anyone from the passport office answer this, my kids photos are the 4 in 1 type. The guards signed and stamped the back of the top 2. Should i cut those out before submission or leave it to you guys?

Cheers
    Col

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

minotour wrote: »
    Hello,

Can anyone from the passport office answer this, my kids photos are the 4 in 1 type. The guards signed and stamped the back of the top 2. Should i cut those out before submission or leave it to you guys?

Cheers
    Col

Leave them as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Leave them as they are.

Cool thanks, i'd only have made an arse of it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ted9308

I'm trying to get in touch with the passport to no avail so i'm wondering if you guys can help.My passport is due to be issued tomorrow and I'm flying tomorrow evening.Does that mean it's due to be printed?How would I go about collecting my passport?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go to the passport office. Today.

Did you tell them when you were flying when you applied for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Minigocko

Hi, I am travelling to London on the 31st of July but I've got one problem! My passport has expired! That is 12 working days away. The normal passport procedure is within 10-11 working days, is it too late to apply? Or should I get an emergency passport?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Which airline are you traveling with? With Aer Lingus you can use drivers licence instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Minigocko

Ryanair

Hello, I cannot get any reply from the Passport office, they aren't answering their phones or my emails. I have a concern over my daughter's passport application. It was received on the 2nd July with an issue date of 15 July but the status has not changed at all. It is stil only "registered". Has the passport not been checked yet?

Purdia wrote: »
    Hello, I cannot get any reply from the Passport office, they aren't answering their phones or my emails. I have a concern over my daughter's passport application. It was received on the 2nd July with an issue date of 15 July but the status has not changed at all. It is stil only "registered". Has the passport not been checked yet?

That's funny, that exactly when mine was registered and due to be issued, and mine was delivered this morning.

Thanks Jaymcg91 - did you have the same problem with the status not changing from registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Been put on a 2 year passport as I lost my previous one....anyone know how many 2 years before I'll be back on a full one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Been put on a 2 year passport as I lost my previous one....anyone know how many 2 years before I'll be back on a full one?

Did you ask them?

If the current one is not lost you should be fine next time around

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement