Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Can't see why not as long as you have no problem with learning Spanish and French side by side. I learnt both languages in secondary school and never had any problem with overlap so I don't see why it's not perfectly doable.

In terms of degrees I think it'd be useful as you should be fluent in 3 languages by the end of it

According to this your only options abroad (for Spanish)are Spain and Portugal though. http://spanish.nuim.ie/study_abroad.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

*awkwardly tip-toes into topic*

okay, so this evening i've suddenly started thinking, quite obsessively, about doing english, spanish [ab initio] and french in college next year.

yer sounds a bit iffy..i know..
    so thought i'd ask, do you guys think such a combinatation would be simply ricidulous?

OOOR [i'm going out on a limb here] does anyone know of the spanish french english combo being done before? even better, *wide eyes* is there anyone on here whos currently undertaking language overkill such as this in maynooth??

another question; can anyone tell me if the erasmus/international scheme in maynooth has links with méxico? :cool: in fact..where DOES it link with? i can't find that info anywhere.

It's perfectly do-able I know of a girl who did it last year and has taken French and Spanish in to second year now. I myself started first year taking Irish, French and English but I dropped Irish in the end. Not because it was hard going with 3 languages but because I preferred Geography.

You most certainly aren't the first person to take this combination and you won't be the last. It's all about putting in the work yourself as to how well you do in the end. So if you're willing to put time and effort in you should be grand.

With regards to French and English both a pretty ok subjects.
    English has a lot of reading involved (approx one novel per 3 lectures) however not all of these readings are mandatory so you can skip some. First year English has changed though so maybe someone else can enlighten you as to what it's like now.

French is grrreat. Savage subject. Not too much work. There is (or at least was - when I took it) an essay for each module which works out as about 3/4 essays per semester and then an oral exam per semester and an exam for most modules. There's one book per module to read and then be assessed on via either an exam or essay. And then a grammar exam also. Grammar and oral work are easy enough. I put an average amount of effort in and passed easily having only got the minimum requirement to take the course in the first place.

Hope that helps. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Yeh, Erasmus is an EU programme. I'm sure it's possible to go elsewhere (US for example) but when you go outside of that sphere it's very difficult for the university to insure that academic standards are being maintained. i.e. you're not attending some jokeshop uni that hands out degrees for cash. But I'm sure it's not impossible!

I think it's called Socratés or something if you're going to the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Eh, no. It's called So Crates. Have you not seen Bill & Ted? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

My mistake! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 a2dolan

can anyone tell me about multimedia in maynooth? its what i hope to do next september. is there much difference between the BA and the BSc? would love to talk to someone who is doing this coarse. also can i point out i do not have a third language for the BA :( even though i am more suited to it than the BSc requiring a higher standard of maths!? please help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Edit: Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

*awkwardly tip-toes into topic*

okay, so this evening i've suddenly started thinking, quite obsessively, about doing english, spanish [ab initio] and french in college next year.

yer sounds a bit iffy..i know..
    so thought i'd ask, do you guys think such a combinatation would be simply ricidulous?

OOOR [i'm going out on a limb here] does anyone know of the spanish french english combo being done before? even better, *wide eyes* is there anyone on here whos currently undertaking language overkill such as this in maynooth??

another question; can anyone tell me if the erasmus/international scheme in maynooth has links with méxico? :cool: in fact..where DOES it link with? i can't find that info anywhere.

I do English and Spanish (Final Year), currently essay-ing but will get back to you tomorrow with course details if you like.

All I can say for now is this: It's very do-able. I know plenty of people doing French and Spanish/German and Spanish and they might have teeny slip ups now and again, but sure you have that when it's just English and another language. Spanish is deadly, so much so that I have completely changed my future plans after studying it for three years (wanted to do the H.Dip afterwards, now planning to do a Masters in Spanish)

English is grand, my passion is in Spanish but English is really good, there's something for everyone in it and some of the lecturers are absolutely brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 electronichaze

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Yeh, Erasmus is an EU programme.
    I think it's called Socratés or something if you're going to the US.

ooops..erasmus - mexico, what was i thinking??
    I do English and Spanish (Final Year), currently essay-ing but will get back to you tomorrow with course details if you like.

i've read your other posts on the thread, but if there's anything else you can add i'd be grateful!

i appreciate the replies it's all very helpful and encouraging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭drawnacrol

Hey sorry to bumb a thread but I'm looking to do a course next year involving recording so I taught about this course, the posts really put me off, is it really that bad??

I have a studio at home and I've an extensive knowledge of DAWs,plug ins, midi, mixing etc should I pass on this course and look for something more advanced like one of the temple bar studio courses???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DoorPortico

I reckon your best bet is having a look at the module content on the website dude. Get in touch with the department too, they should have no problem talking to prospective students. Then do likewise with Pulse or Templebar and weigh them up. We can't tell your level of knowledge of stuff like, you'll be able to judge better for yourself this way I'd say.

I've done a few hours of research tonight and I really liked what Pulse College had to offer, I'm going to take a trip in their this week and see their facilities,
    what other colleges around dublin offer music production courses like this? besides maynooth and temple bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I'm really sorry, I'm totally hijacking your thread!

After that you're looking at private courses (i.e. paying courses) like Pulse and the Sound Training Centre in Temple Bar in Dublin.

Can't do an MA without a BA first.

anyone see their tv ad? kind of a mundane backing music for a music related course imo

Theirs an open day in the temple bar college this saturday, I'm gonna take a trip to that

Excuse me, but if he can't help you, he can't help you. This does not make him an a*rsehole. He can't just choose a 3rd year student at random to talk to you, he won't know if anyone will WANT to talk to you. That's not his job. At least he referred you to people that could answer your questions.

-deleted-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Wait, he answered your other questions?

Look, I can understand you must be angry, but I know this man and he is absolutely lovely. I wouldn't want anyone looking at this thread to think he was an 'asshole'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Ddemo

General Qu about NUIM?
    hi im just woundering about a few qus and need some advice as im thinking of going here next year.

Which is the best student accommodation?

What are the sport facilities like?

And anyone doing Finance and Economics could u give insight on their opinion on the couse?

This would be really helpful

Thank you

Ddemo, this thread is about courses/subjects, not the rest of your post. I moved your post to the questions thread for people to answer already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Does anybody here study it? If so, can you tell me what its like and would it be worth my while studying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

There is a sticky at the top of this page relating to subject questions...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055619090&page=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

This thread has info about different subjects - haven't read it in ages but I'm sure there's something on Anthropology in it.

You might also find this forum useful :)

From what I hear, it's a very interesting subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Thanks guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Whats the computer science course like out in NUI Maynooth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ilovethecraic

hi everyone... just woundering about the media studies course in nuim what people think of it etc and also where is the best on campus place to live "D

please help.......

Thanks a mil

x:)

go here and here

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

hi everyone... just woundering about the media studies course in nuim what people think of it etc and also where is the best on campus place to live "D

please help.......

Thanks a mil

x:)

Hi!

I'm in first year in Media Studies in the college and I absolutely love it! Every Tuesday we have 2 lectures on the history of Media (not the most fun, but it is necessary!) Then on Fridays, we have 2-3 hours of practical work.

Last semester we did radio production in the Friday classes, and this semester is television production. Last semester included going out and doing research and groundwork on a radio piece, recording and editing and also doing a number of short sound-scapes (a story told by sound without narrative.)
    So far this semester we have been learning how to work the cameras and about different shots and camera angles.

When I chose media, I did just because I thought it would have a lot in common with journalism, but it was really far from that. We have had a lot of hands on experience with editing, recording, researching, broadcasting and producing. I'd definitely recommend the course to anyone!

Don't worry if you haven't had much experience with the practical side of things. I had no experience WHATSOEVER and I caught on really quickly! Maynooth is definitely the place to be :):):)

Also, I'm living in Rye Hall which isn't the best! River apartments are really nice, but it always depends on what your roommates are like. I was really lucky and we are hoping to move in together next year too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ilovethecraic

Hi!

I'm in first year in Media Studies in the college and I absolutely love it! Every Tuesday we have 2 lectures on the history of Media (not the most fun, but it is necessary!) Then on Fridays, we have 2-3 hours of practical work.

Last semester we did radio production in the Friday classes, and this semester is television production. Last semester included going out and doing research and groundwork on a radio piece, recording and editing and also doing a number of short sound-scapes (a story told by sound without narrative.)
    So far this semester we have been learning how to work the cameras and about different shots and camera angles.

When I chose media, I did just because I thought it would have a lot in common with journalism, but it was really far from that. We have had a lot of hands on experience with editing, recording, researching, broadcasting and producing. I'd definitely recommend the course to anyone!

Don't worry if you haven't had much experience with the practical side of things. I had no experience WHATSOEVER and I caught on really quickly! Maynooth is definitely the place to be :):):)

Also, I'm living in Rye Hall which isn't the best! River apartments are really nice, but it always depends on what your roommates are like. I was really lucky and we are hoping to move in together next year too!
    thanks a mil for your help YOUR A STAR ;)

so u enjoy the course then?? like its enjoyable? what are you hoping to do after you get your degree?? whats the nightlife like up there?

thanks agagin for all your help :D xXx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

thanks a mil for your help YOUR A STAR ;)

so u enjoy the course then?? like its enjoyable? what are you hoping to do after you get your degree?? whats the nightlife like up there?

thanks agagin for all your help :D xXx

I absolutely adore the course! The practical side of it is really, really enjoyable. Unfortunately there is a hell of a lot of readings to be done in the theoretical class for each week but that's life! I'd love to go into broadcasting- either on TV or radio, but I've had a lot of experience with magazines and papers so that would be another option. I'm hoping to go abroad so it's a really handy degree since it's so versatile. Since I'm doing Spanish alongside my course I have the option of doing an Erasmus year in 3rd year and getting an international BA in Media Studies... Awesomeness :)

If there's anything else I can help you with, PM me and I'll send you my email address.

The nightlife is really good. The SU (on campus) bar is fantastic, especially with their themed bar ex's. On a Monday night all drinks are €3- the cheapest in the town.

Advertisement