Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a good all round bodyweight routine suitable for everyone ?

• 26-10-2015 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a good all round lifetime bodywork routine that combines the best from calisthenics, isometrics, pilates, yoga, and suitable from beginner to expert, and all ages, so that it can be used throughout life. Something that doesn't require any equipment weights and therefore can be done nearly anywhere.

Big ask I know, but I'm hoping a few of you may have stumbled on something suitable, or close to it.

Any recommendations / links ?

If no joy, I was thinking of taking the best basic exercises from each and combining them.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine something like this?

you'll need a pullup bar or some rings, but that's it

it sounds like you're asking for something that doesn't exist, no program is suitable for an expert that a beginner would be able to work through

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

strelok wrote: »

it sounds like you're asking for something that doesn't exist, no program is suitable for an expert that a beginner would be able to work through

I think your getting mixed up here, that's not what I meant.

Any program in calisthenics, isometrics, pilates, yoga can be started off at beginner level, and exercises added/removed/adjusted as their expertise increases.

E.g. I'm sure someone has thought before to take the most scientifically proven effective beginner exercises from calisthenics, isometrics, pilates, yoga and combine them into a beginners routine, and similar for intermediate and expert routines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 New Ice Age

La Fenetre wrote: »
    I think your getting mixed up here, that's not what I meant.
    Any program can be started off at beginner level, and exercises added as their expertise increases.

So you want a hybrid program that will work for both beginners and experts? "One program to rule them all" type thing?

So you want a hybrid program that will work for both beginners and experts? "One program to rule them all" type thing?

Not exactly, a hybrid routine combining the best from all yes, but at the appropriate level for beginner, intermediate and expert. So that may mean different hybrid routines for a beginner / intermediate / expert, exactly as it would normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Do you want three routines or one routine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Fitness blender?

Ddad wrote: »
    Fitness blender?

Best answer yet, I'll check that out thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

Not exactly, a hybrid routine combining the best from all yes, but at the appropriate level for beginner, intermediate and expert. So that may mean different hybrid routines for a beginner / intermediate / expert, exactly as it would normally.

Convict Conditioning. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70755853

• Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Any program in calisthenics, isometrics, pilates, yoga can be started off at beginner level, and exercises added/removed/adjusted as their expertise increases.

E.g. I'm sure someone has thought before to take the most scientifically proven effective beginner exercises from calisthenics, isometrics, pilates, yoga and combine them into a beginners routine, and similar for intermediate and expert routines.
    I'm not sure what you are looking for exists. In the sense that the best exercises will really depends on your goals, which mght differ from person to person independent of ability.

There are tons of scalable bodywork programs though. Which is essentially what calisthenics and isometrics are.
    Yoga is a bit different, and won't exactly have the same goals as strength/bodyweight work. You'll probably have to add yoga separately. Or better yet add a mobility/flexibility routine to suit your goals that's exclusive to yoga.
    meijin wrote: »

Convict Conditioning is a decent program. Certainly better than nothing.
    But there are also some big flaws with it. The progressions are very disproportionate. And some of them later movements aren't actually possible (handstand progression). I also think the bridge progression isn't great.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are looking for exists. In the sense that the best exercises will really depends on your goals, which mght differ from person to person independent of ability.

There are tons of scalable bodywork programs though. Which is essentially what calisthenics and isometrics are.
    Yoga is a bit different, and won't exactly have the same goals as strength/bodyweight work. You'll probably have to add yoga separately. Or better yet add a mobility/flexibility routine to suit your goals that's exclusive to yoga.

Convict Conditioning is a decent program. Certainly better than nothing.
    But there are also some big flaws with it. The progressions are very disproportionate. And some of them later movements aren't actually possible (handstand progression). I also think the bridge progression isn't great.

Thank's Mellor, anything close to it though ? I love the exercises from all the disciplines, but I don't have time to do them all, hence I was looking for a hybrid of sorts, and thought someone must have something close to that out there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For bodyweight strength work, I'd do something like convict conditioning (with improved bridges), or the /r/bodyweightfitness routine stelok posted above. If you want suggestions for improving the bridge progression let me know, its something I've worked on a bit lately.
    There a lot of overlap between the two (pushups, pulls-ups, squats, etc) and each have suggested progressions. If it suits, a hybrid from both is a good option too. How manys days per week do you want to work on "bodyweight strength".

Yoga/flexibility. An option would be to alternate it with with strength work on your off days. But there's no problem doing strength and flexibility in the same day (morning and evening) if you want to work more.
    As for a routine, some thing like Starting Stretching is a good place to start. But if you outgrow that, or need to work on particular issues, then MobilityWOD and r/flexibility both have a a ton of info. Adding in a yoga class as active recovery would be fine too. My flexibilty work changes all the time, and its often just what ever I have time for, or feel like this week.

Again thanks Mellor, at last someone gets where I was coming from.
    If anyone else has anything, I'd be grateful to hear it, and I'm sure it would be useful to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

What about the Canadian Airforce Routine?

I'll take a look, cheers

Advertisement