Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Picture falls to the ground on death of relation

Options
  • 18-10-2010 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Ok, this happened many years ago but seen as I happened to be browsing the paranormal forum. My aunts husband took ill and his health deteriorated very rapidly. The man was an absolute pure gentleman, pretty much a dying breed of person in this day and age (if thats of any relevance). He was in hospital and we pretty much knew he hadn't too much time left. The evening he died a picture fell from the wall onto the ground in my sisters bedroom (this would have being my parents bedroom before my sister was born). It would seem that the picture fell for absolutely no apparent reason. It wasn't as if it had being taken down recently for painting the room or cleaning the picture etc. Nail holding the picture was and still is rock solid in the wall and not facing downwards or anything like that. The picture stayed upright against the wall when it fell which was a wee bit unusual also...One might have expected it to fall over flat. Chord on picture was perfectly intact...we just hung it up on wall again. Later that night we got word that the man had passed on. We didn't have the phone in at the time...got word through another relative who lived nearer to us. Also if it is off any real relevance the picture was a tappestry sort picture of a castle in our local town. Which is a town 40 odd miles away from the residence of the man that died and he would have no real connection to this town apart from the fact that it would have being wifes (my aunts) local town in her younger days.

The two families of us have always being pretty close down through the years. Ive heard of knocks on a door or a banshee crying outside on the occurance of a death but doing a quick google search a picture falling from the wall seems to be a less regular occurance. Would be interested to know if anyone has had similar type experiences. Also is there anymore relavance attached to such an occurance apart from letting loved ones know of a death of a friend or relative?

Believe me, I'm not a mad fan of typing so would not go to the trouble of typing up a thread as long as the above if I was telling porkies;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

Saw the title and thought, oh something like that happened me!

Was around 2 and a half years ago. The exes second cousin (who he was very close with) had cancer. She was in hospital and hadn't long left. I was in my room at home around 3.15am and a picture fell off the wall. Only it sort of didn't just drop but fell outwards. Don't know if thats clear. It wasn't flung across the room or anything but it didn't just drop down. Like yourself the cord was fine, I put it back up. Ten minutes later I got a call to say she had died. It certainly freaked me out a bit, because I have had a few weird things happen, but only maybe 3 or 4 times in my life and of course you try to explain them away. I don't know what it means, if anything but there you go, you're not the only one.

And Dotsie regardless of whether you believe Johndaman, if 'bollox' is all you have to say on the matter why bother at all? Everyones entitled to their own opinion but thats no excuse for rudeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Was it perhaps just a co-incidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

yes its believable.. loads of things like that happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Not bollox, just coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I dont see the relevance, why does this matter, it's not as if the dead mans ghost came and knocked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Yep! Co-inky-dinky.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Stories of that and a bird in the house or flying into the window as portends of death in the next 48 hours never seem to go away. What I never understood was that usually with superstitions there is some reason why as to explain it but not with the picture falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Grimes wrote: »
    Was it perhaps just a co-incidence?
    murrayp4 wrote: »
    Not bollox, just coincidence.
    Yep! Co-inky-dinky.

Maybe, maybe not. Can't say for sure. I know little or nothing about paranormal activity or what such an occurance may signify. I am generally cynical myself about such incidents and would attempt to find a rational and logical explanation if somebody told me a similar story, at least in my own mind anyway. All the same if it was a coincidence what are the chances? Picture would not have being touched in at least weeks if not months beforehand so if it was barely left hanging on the nail one would have expected it to fall before then really. My house is a bungalow and the picture was hanging of a solid concrete partition wall dividing two bedrooms. There would have being no vibration or anything like that going through the walls at the time. No construction work going on nearby...Just trying to be as logical about the matter there as possible. The fact that the picture landed upright against the wall also...One would have almost certainly expected it to land flat as it hit the ground.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I dont see the relevance, why does this matter, it's not as if the dead mans ghost came and knocked it.

Not sure myself at the moment either DOC09UNAM. Would have thought it was a spirit as oppossed to dead mans spirit that fell the picture from the wall...if of course there was a supernatural occurance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the only correlation is in old wifes tales really - otherwise what is there to link someone dying and a picture falling off the wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Two reasons I have been told over the years is it's an angels wing that brushes against and knock it down, or that it's the soon to be dead person astral travelling and checking in on people both of which gave me the same reaction :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Similar story here. My mam and dad always had these two pictures in their bedroom, one of jesus and one of mary. They'd been on the wall for years, sturdy as hell. Anyway, one night years ago they were woken up by one of the pictures falling to the floor (Something that hadn't happend before), they thought nothing of it, went back to sleep and about an hour later they were woken up by a the phone. Turns out my grandad had died.

I don't know what to think about it, I'm the most skeptical person going. I'm sure it was probably just coincidence but it's something that I aways remember my mam telling me about.

Hmmm, seems there may be something in it alright. Maybe Im reading too much into it now but I wonder is the type of picture of any particular significance or is it pretty random in this regard. GhostInTheRuins you mention that it was a holy picture that fell from the wall when your grandad passed on. In my case it was a tapasetry type picture of a castle in my local town which there seems to be no apparent relationship between my aunts husband and anything to do with the picture. He was a very holy man and there are plenty of holy pictures up around my house...so am kind of thinking it must be random if indeed assuming there is such an phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Something simular happened to me following the death of a family member but I wouldnt be brave enough to post an account of it here. Perhaps it was and perhaps it wasnt the dead person, id like to think it was even though my brain tells me its impossible ... but still, its nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

OP given the uncle's declining health, perhaps someone took a bit of a recent interest in the picture and took it down or touched it, which made it a bit unstable, causing it to fall down a few days later. They may have done so absent-mindedly and didn't put two and two together when the picture did eventually fall.

You think that's possible?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Theres always the risk of ascribing an odd occurrence to something paranormal when its just coincidence. I had a huge heavy framed knotboard fall off the wall for no reason in work once, same thing, cord intact, hook still perfect in the wall, no cause for it falling. But noone died at the time. Im glad noone was under it when it fell or we could easily have had a death.. :) So it can happen for absolutely no reason.

I dont know if these things can happen when someone dies, its a kind of nice thought, and common, judging from the responses. Interesting but inconclusive. :)

Dave! wrote: »
    OP given the uncle's declining health, perhaps someone took a bit of a recent interest in the picture and took it down or touched it, which made it a bit unstable, causing it to fall down a few days later. They may have done so absent-mindedly and didn't put two and two together when the picture did eventually fall.

You think that's possible?

First of Dave! he wasn't my uncle but my aunts husband, no direct blood relative to my family. The scenario you outlined is possible, wouldn't absolutely rule it out 100%, but unlikely all the same. We all agreed among ourselves that none of us had gone near the picture recently at the time. There is a small iota of possibility that somebody indeed may have and totally forgot but very unlikely (were all of sound mind in the house)!... But hence the reason I wouldn't totally rule it out either.

Also I think that if a picture was hung just on the edge of a nail it would fall a lot sooner than a few days later if it were going to fall at all...Unless there was extreme vibration at the time (which there wasn't) or very very extreme subsidience (which I don't think and hope there isin't)! Or some similar reason which isin't immediately apparent to me.
    Oryx wrote: »
    Theres always the risk of ascribing an odd occurrence to something paranormal when its just coincidence.

I agree with you Oryx. Even since doing a wee bit of research into the occurance and starting the thread I remain as open minded as possible as to why the picture fell. As I believe I already mentioned previously in the thread I am a sceptic and will always look for the more apparent logical explanation when these sort of things are talked about. Although I can't particularly find a logical reason in this scenario. I won't rule it out but won't rule out a divine intervention of sorts either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

First of Dave! he wasn't my uncle but my aunts husband, no direct blood relative to my family. The scenario you outlined is possible, wouldn't absolutely rule it out 100%, but unlikely all the same. We all agreed among ourselves that none of us had gone near the picture recently at the time. There is a small iota of possibility that somebody indeed may have and totally forgot but very unlikely (were all of sound mind in the house)!... But hence the reason I wouldn't totally rule it out either.

Also I think that if a picture was hung just on the edge of a nail it would fall a lot sooner than a few days later if it were going to fall at all...Unless there was extreme vibration at the time (which there wasn't) or very very extreme subsidience (which I don't think and hope there isin't)! Or some similar reason which isin't immediately apparent to me.

I agree with you Oryx. Even since doing a wee bit of research into the occurance and starting the thread I remain as open minded as possible as to why the picture fell. As I believe I already mentioned previously in the thread I am a sceptic and will always look for the more apparent logical explanation when these sort of things are talked about. Although I can't particularly find a logical reason in this scenario. I won't rule it out but won't rule out a divine intervention of sorts either though.
    Fair enough mate! You certainly don't seem to seeking a supernatural explanation! If you're looking for the most logical and natural explanation, then surely a simple coincidence is the best one! The narrative I described above is another suggestion though.

Just my opinion anyways

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Was in a mates one night and the mirror just poppe doff the wall and hit the ground. it didnt smash luckily we thought. A moment later his mother called to say his brother had been killed. i wouldnt believe it it had i not been in the room but it did feel eerie and still does.

The more I think about it the more I think it is some sort of signal dave75. Was there any other reason why the mirror could have fell off the wall, vibration from a drill for example? Wonder is a mirror of any significance as oppossed to a picture or would it be random (on the notion that it is a signal).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It was around 1030 at night, and its a really solid old house and wall. Nothing had ever happened like that in there before. There was no vibration, drilling or anyone near the wall. very very weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 liamnoel

Thus unfortunately is an almost regular thing that happens to us.. It's terrifying....

Very scary..

And definitely true..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

But the piccture wasn't even of the person who died. It was of a castle that was completely unconnected to the deceased. If it was the picture of the person, then there may (and i use the word loosely) be some connection, but not as it stands.

Another story that I was told is about the death clock. This is when someone is seriously ill in the house and a sound like a clock can be heard but no clock making it. It will stop when the person dies. Now that would be freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A few weeks after my aunt died, a mirror in our house fell off the wall and smashed.

My mother always wondered if it was a sign, I used to laugh and tell her that it was a sign, that my Dad was rubbish at DIY and put in a weak anchor for the heavy mirror.

Thats all it was. Not sure why so many people don't see the obvious answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Effects wrote: »
    I remember this happening at the time. I believe it was your aunts husbands late mother's ghost who caused the picture to fall. Your aunts husband went straight to hell when he died and didn't have time to do anything with the picture himself.

In all fairness, you went to the trouble to write a sentence that wasn't funny to make someone's loss feel worse. If a sign, no matter how real or significant, gives them a hook to someone who is no longer there, then that should be applauded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

liamnoel wrote: »
    Thus unfortunately is an almost regular thing that happens to us.. It's terrifying....

Very scary..

And definitely true..

Definitely true? There is a Nobel prize, fame and fortune awaiting you if you can prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

OMG just seeing this now.
    This is something that keeps happening in my family. We always say "if a picture falls down,someone is going to pass". It has been always true so far, even with pet-pics. also pics from a different person or landscape.
    As long as one falls down without any obvious reason or "just like that", we know its a "sign".

Crazy, thought that just runs in our family!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

celica00 wrote:
    Crazy runs in our family!

Fyp:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

celica00 wrote: »
    This is something that keeps happening in my family. We always say "if a picture falls down,someone is going to pass". It has been always true so far, even with pet-pics. also pics from a different person or landscape.
    As long as one falls down without any obvious reason or "just like that", we know its a "sign".

If someone went round every picture and fixed them to the wall with 10 screws, ensuring that one never falls again, would you still believe there is a link? Or would it be more likely that the resident handyman is not so good at hanging pictures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

*edgy comment*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

celica00 wrote: »

Nope - happens in my moms family too. Whether it's a holy picture , it doesn't matter. If a pic falls off the wall then it's taken for granted someone is dead.
    My uncle used to live with my grandmother. She decided to visit London one weekend to visit another son. While she was there a pic fell off the wall - turns out my uncle at home had an epileptic fit and died suddenly.

There's more instances but I just can't remember the exact details right now.

Advertisement