Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland's steepest hill

• 14-10-2008 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Is it the one out of Naul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

That wold be something...Ireland's steepest hill in FLAT north county Dublin:). Mahon falls near Dungarvan is pretty steep..gets my vote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

07Lapierre wrote: »
    That wold be something...Ireland's steepest hill in FLAT north county Dublin:). Mahon falls near Dungarvan is pretty steep..gets my vote :)
    Mahon falls? Nha!! did it from both side and it was fine.
    Seskin hill has a 19% bit in it. Not sure it's the hardest hill, but it's pretty steep.
    Steepest doesn mean hardest ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Mamore Gap in Donegal hill, steep whatever its a killer

Near Carran in Co. Clare near cassidys pub (near the dolmen in all the burren photos) theres a hill 21% grass up the middle and straight run up it. Tis not easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

patricks hill in cork is fairly steep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

windmill lane in youghal also- but patricks seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

No, even a total amateur like me did that one no problem two weekends ago. Surely the steepest is on an actual mountain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Húrin wrote: »
    Surely the steepest is on an actual mountain?

probably, but lets talk about roads.

are these roads or streets in towns

theres the hill in cobh called the deck of cards

cobh is all hills

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Mahon Falls is nowhere near anything. The hill from Powerscourt up to the Djouce Road has the steepest sections that I have ever been on I reckon (I am claiming up to 25%, El Tonto admits at least 20%.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

blorg wrote: »
    Mahon Falls is nowhere near anything. The hill from Powerscourt up to the Djouce Road has the steepest sections that I have ever been on I reckon (I am claiming up to 25%, El Tonto admits at least 20%.)

Tackled this one tihs morning for the first time. Not a great idea when you haven't been in the saddle for almost a month. That was tough.

There is a hill on the Wicklow Way between Tinahely and Shillelagh. I think it's called Boley. It's a bark to walk. Think it's supposed to be the steepest hill in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 skim

i would have 2 go with patrick hill in cork i never seen a road that steep

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

skim wrote: »
    i would have 2 go with patrick hill in cork i never seen a road that steep

I would have to go with Patricks Hill. It starts off steep and actually gets steeper towards the top. The old Nissan Classic Cycle race had a stage from Limerick to Cork and upon reaching Cork, they had to do a lap of the Northside 3 times including going up Patricks Hill. Unbelievable.

**By the way, I'm new on this particular forum. Hello***

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Colm R wrote: »
    I would have to go with Patricks Hill. It starts off steep and actually gets steeper towards the top. The old Nissan Classic Cycle race had a stage from Limerick to Cork and upon reaching Cork, they had to do a lap of the Northside 3 times including going up Patricks Hill. Unbelievable.
    Welcome to the forum! The Tour of Ireland this year did four laps of the hill on the finishing circuit. Even the pros looked like they were having a hard time. Must try it some time although I believe it is generally one way in the wrong direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Welcome to the forum! The Tour of Ireland this year did four laps of the hill on the finishing circuit. Even the pros looked like they were having a hard time. Must try it some time although I believe it is generally one way in the wrong direction?

Magnus looks like he is about to fall over in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

Have to agree there, its the steepest ive done

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭penfold83

I've been around Cork a bit in the recent past and while St. Patrick's Hill is most certainly steep, there is a hill in Cobh which is definitely steeper. I know it as Library Hill, it leads away from the very centre of the town up towards the cathedral direction. Not sure if it's the same one mentioned earlier as The Deck of Cards?

**I'm new to the forum as well, hello everybody!**

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The gable end of my folks place. It's a killer on my fixie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the bit at the very bottom near the bridge is the steepest bit

devils elbow - between eniskerry and johnie foxes is bad too
    devils glen - near tiglin hostel is a long one

achill island the hill right at the very end

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Glengeesh in Donegal is one of the steeper roads I've driven up.
    Have any of you ever cycled it?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

There is something seedy about that site Hermy: "Meet cyclists", "Meet singles into cycling" were two of the banners that greeted me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    There is something seedy about that site Hermy: "Meet cyclists", "Meet singles into cycling" were two of the banners that greeted me :eek:

Lads, you gotta try to private roads to the VERY TOP of mt leinster and kippure....mtn leinster was savage, all the others do not have a patch on it.....but I hear there is one in donegal that is a monster.

We used to do a race every year from N11 (10 mtrs elevation) to top kippure via enniskerry & glencree, real hard.....best time was 49 minutes by Robin. Give it a go, you wont regret it, views are incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

joemc99 wrote: »
    Lads, you gotta try to private roads to the VERY TOP of mt leinster and kippure....
    We used to do a race every year from N11 (10 mtrs elevation) to top kippure via enniskerry & glencree, real hard.....best time was 49 minutes by Robin. Give it a go, you wont regret it, views are incredible.

Kippure is hard but I think the max gradient is only 17% near the top around the last bend, the rest is a steady 11/12% ( I think ). Obviously, you would cycle up it after going up Sally Gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What's that pass in Kerry - Connor Pass, is it? Only Walker's Brazil-nut-encrusted toffee and the water from a stream halfway up got me to the top. What a killer - but what a view! And what a wheeeee down on the other side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What's that pass in Kerry - Connor Pass, is it? Only Walker's Brazil-nut-encrusted toffee and the water from a stream halfway up got me to the top. What a killer - but what a view! And what a wheeeee down on the other side!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'd go for Mamore gap definately. On the Ras 2 years ago the ambulance didn't even make it over ! As for Naul !!! I'm a fat git and can get over that in the big ring !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

There is no climb out of Naul ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'll never mention it again.:o:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Hermy wrote: »
    Glengeesh in Donegal is one of the steeper roads I've driven up.
    Have any of you ever cycled it?

Yep, I like this one. First time I did it I had to dismount and walk. There was a van trying to get up it too and he was slipping backwards for a bit. Probably going from 2nd to 1st gear now that I drive myself... Great going down it, I got up a huge speed (when I was a bit younger and more immortal).

Here's one I recently had to dismount to get up. I didn't know the road and had slowed almost to a stop at the base of it. I reckon I could power up it but I haven't returned since. It's just around the corner from Lough Dan bringing you from Sally gap into Laragh without going by Glenmacneas.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=FfKIKQMdfUag_w%3BFbBzKQMd0kWg_w&mra=ls&sll=53.103825,-6.23062&sspn=0.185919,0.53009&ie=UTF8&ll=53.066698,-6.289501&spn=0.02326,0.066261&t=h&z=14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

penfold83 wrote: »
    I've been around Cork a bit in the recent past and while St. Patrick's Hill is most certainly steep, there is a hill in Cobh which is definitely steeper. I know it as Library Hill, it leads away from the very centre of the town up towards the cathedral direction. Not sure if it's the same one mentioned earlier as The Deck of Cards?

**I'm new to the forum as well, hello everybody!**

Welcome aswell !!
    I unfortunatley know that hill from walking up and down it after the Cork-Cobh run a couple of weeks ago....steep alright...

Advertisement