Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"I am absolutely convinced that the main source of hatred in the world is religon"

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wicknight wrote:
    Just to clarify I don't agree with Hitchens that group ideologies such as religion or nationalism are the only cause of group conflict.

But I never saw that as a reason to not oppose them.

The argument that if you removed religion people would just fight over something else so what is the point is a bit like saying that if you cure HIV people are just going to die from something else. While that might be true (and the history of medicine seems to bear it out) that still isn't a reason to not try and cure HIV. At the very least they won't be dying from HIV

Indeed, but anyone who declared that they were absolutely convinced that the main cause of death or sickness in the world is HIV would be either a liar or exceptionally ill-informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote:
    Indeed, but anyone who declared that they were absolutely convinced that the main cause of death or sickness in the world is HIV would be either a liar or exceptionally ill-informed.

Well actually HIV is the leading cause of death world wide within the infectious diseases category, followed closely by TB (wide spread TB infections coupled with HIV is causing a medical nightmare in sub-Sahara Africa)

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/65508.php

But I understand your point. As I said I don't agree with Hitchens, nor do I fell that it is necessary for religion to be the "main source of hatred in the world" for it to be criticized and tackled for being a major source of problems in the world (unlike Hitchens I think the use of the world "hatred" to describe the problems of religion is lacking in understanding of how religion works and the emotions it produces, as I explained in a post above)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Hitchen's is a better public speaker than Dawkins but he's saying the wrong things. Way too extreme & the title of this thread surely can't be taken seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

The idea that particular religions cause wars is foolish. History shows that people have fought each other no matter what their religions, if any, were. While many medieval rulers used religion to justify wars, further research shows that in many cases there were genuinely pious minorities who opposed the violence, and were often killed for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

"I am absolutely convinced that the main source of hatred in the world is...we are a poorly evolved mamalian species...our pre frontal lobes are too small, our adrenalin glands are too big"

Fixed his statement.

http://www.pbfcomics.com/?cid=0PBF10060BC-Skub.jpg#11

• Advertisement
Advertisement