Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

U2 suck

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

In all fairness, should the thread be re-titled to U2 Sound Engineers suck. In an organsiation like that I doubt the band are on first-name terms with the engineers responsible.

Of course they are first term basis with there engineer. There FOH engineer has been with them since the beginning of U2 and it is he who is responsible for the sound that the audience hears.

You just beat me to it phantom_lord..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

sorry man...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

bucks wrote:
    Their FOH engineer has been with them since the beginning of U2 and it is he who is responsible for the sound that the audience hears.
    Well out him. He's the one responsible for the many negative comments made here and on the radio waves today. What's his name? What's his company? As someone else alluded to earlier in the thread, he might be single-handedly responsible for all the ****e sound insulation in houses being built today. But then, maybe he isn't.

A quick search and you should find his name, im not naming names anyway...
    But he is one of the most respected in the game and also does sound for REM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

There was bit in one papers of how Gavin Friday was going to be incharge of the the ehh "feel" of the show ??? im sure the other guy was there too...

there was the two high stacks to the side and then smaller ones hung off the canopy of the cusack stand, i was on row V of that! but that there was only one in the middle and on the left, and none to the right where i was which was strange...

im not a big fan, went cos my bro bought me the ticket, went to try and see what a "stadium concert" was like, not impressed

i hate the way most outdoor concerts start so early, they should start at dusk, i mean look at the pictures above and tell me whats most impressive, the light show wasn't anything spectacular at all, i mean the huge screen thing has been done by them before, and wasn't used that much... so little props for that... the fast words at the end was good though... maybe they were purposely tone down the bling and concetrate on the songs, but i'd say there plenty of other people doing more innovative things then them these days

and your text coming up on the screen wowee not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Lads... this isnt' a concert venue you're talking about, it's a GAA pitch, it's not exactly built for gigs. You're kidding yourself if you think the sound is going to be any good in a place like Croker, especially in the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Lads... this isnt' a concert venue you're talking about, it's a GAA pitch, it's not exactly built for gigs. You're kidding yourself if you think the sound is going to be any good in a place like Croker, especially in the stands.

I think everyone realises that.
    But it's a **** venue for music judging by these posts. Ardgillan/Marlay/Phoenix park would have been better. The phoenix park would have been pretty amazing.

U2 and their sound engineering team should have known croke park would be **** for a rock concert and it shows how little they care about their fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭axtradub12

Bono is a bit past his sell by date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so why does one go to a stadium concert (or a concert where you behind 80,000 people?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

You lot have really annoyed me as I read this thread. I'm constantly amazed that people who proudly cite their non-fan status as some sort of indemnification against retribution for begrudging comments about a gig played by a band for whom they clearly hold no flame in the first place. If I'd gone along to assess the technical competencies of the sound engineers then sure, I might have been a little unhappy with the end result - But I can sure as hell tell you I wouldn't write off the gig based solely on *their* performance. As it was, I wanted to hear U2 play, which is what I did, and I really enjoyed the homecoming. So to all you lousy, moany, whining idiots who expect more than you're entitled to in the first place - Get over yourselves, will you?

Anyone who expects a good quality of audio fidelity when attending a stadium gig will more often than not be sorely disappointed. It's the nature of the beast you idiots - Metallica sounded like s*** from the stands in the RDS last year where I was sitting with a broken leg for example - I didn't let it ruin the night for me because I'm not a pedantic idiot who expects more than I've a right to expect in such an environment. You buy a ticket for a stadium gig - Don't expect the same quality as a gig in the Olympia.

Idiots.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Idiots.
    You are the idiot.
    I've been to well over 20 stadia concerts and the Vertigo Stadia concerts have all had crap sound quality.
    People are not imagining it.
    There have been constant complaints on this tour from all venues from FANS who have seen them in stadia over the last 20 years .
    The sound is unsatisfactory .
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

sound was grand in the pit and ive been to numerous stadia concerts

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Sound was GREAT yesterday. u2>you :D

u28yb.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Saturday night was brilliant,sound was class[WTF are you moaners on about?]
    Great show and great performance.
    The whole stadium was loving it,[cept ofcourse our resident boards moaners :(]
    boards.ie should be called MOANS.IE to be fooking honest ,greatest bunch of moaners ive ever come across.
    AS for who ever started this thread,jesus H christ the mind boggles tbh.

U2 should go away and die slowly in their own homes.

What a totally hidious,pathetic, and downright ignorant comment.
    My god thats up there with the most idiotic comments ive ever come across on moans.ie .
    Dregin you sad sad pathetic little person,dear God if Dregin is an example of Irish society today what a doomed country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Kill him with your special mod super powers, FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Dcully wrote:
    Saturday night was brilliant,sound was class[WTF are you moaners on about?]
    Great show and great performance.
    The whole stadium was loving it,[cept ofcourse our resident boards moaners]
    boards.ie should be called MOANS.IE to be fooking honest ,greatest bunch of moaners ive ever come across.

And what the hell are you doing right now?......moaning is it?
    Well done.

And ofcourse the sound would be fine on the pitch. People are complaining that the sound was terrible in the stands.
    Gil_Dub wrote:
    I didn't let it ruin the night for me because I'm not a pedantic idiot who expects more than I've a right to expect in such an environment.
    God forbid they expect to get what they paid for. :rolleyes:
    They paid to hear the band.....they got some ****y sound instead.
    If a band are going to hold a gig somewhere, they should be prepared/able to make it work.

I'm not a fan myself and I didn't go but I feel sorry for all the fans that got jipped like this.

And what the hell are you doing right now?......moaning is it?

??? What are you on about?
    Im not moaning,the concert was superb as was the sound, your a strange man.
    And ofcourse the sound would be fine on the pitch. People are complaining that the sound was terrible in the stands.

Again WTF are you on about,i was in the stands at the canal end,again strange man.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bzpc26

There was 4 of us in upper cusack, we paid more for "good" tickets and from all the feedback got the worst. All 4 of us had the same experience, the sound was muffled and tin-ey. We couldn't get into it, the sound was really that bad.

In terms of fault, it has to start with the sound engineers. Granted they have a challenge with the stadiums echo, but it can be resolved.

U2 in croker. No excuses, it's got to be best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

bzpc26 wrote:
    There was 4 of us in upper cusack, we paid more for "good" tickets and from all the feedback got the worst. All 4 of us had the same experience, the sound was muffled and tin-ey. We couldn't get into it, the sound was really that bad.

In terms of fault, it has to start with the sound engineers. Granted they have a challenge with the stadiums echo, but it can be resolved.

U2 in croker. No excuses, it's got to be best.

I agree with bzpc26. Where you there on the Fri or Sat night?

For those of you who think I and others are moaners then I wish you had been there. I was looking forward to U2 for ages. I was at two previous gigs and thought they were in the best live act in the world. Sadly, I no longer believe this to be the case. The sound was totally crap and I can't emphasive that enough. I'm not looking for perfection just adequate! I feel that strongly about it.

Apologies for bumping this back again but I've been on holidays for the past week.

Thanks for the responses.

Dopey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

U2 are incredibly crap these days, what boggles the mind is how far up Bono's arsehole the Irish music media is.

Advertisement