Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,119 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

okidoki987 wrote: »
    If the exchange rate stays around the same level for next few months, it will be carnage for drink sellers in the Republic.

+ if the powers that be here bring in minimum drinks pricing in Tuesday weeks budget it will mean a Christmas exodus to the north.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Sainsburys well worth a trip especially now that they have 25% off when buying 6 bottles, Oyster Bay for €6.80 a bottle is a bargain as is Faustino 1 Grand Reserve Rioja for €14.50.
    The number of ROI reg cars in Newry car parks yesterday was huge
    considering it was only end of September.
    If the exchange rate stays around the same level for next few months, it will be carnage for drink sellers in the Republic.

The exchange rate is crap- compared to where it was- 6 weeks ago.
    Most of the cars in Newry with southern regs are MN/L/CN - very few non-locals- and Dublin plates are now an oddity.

If you go to Sprucefield- the few southern regs- are all 'D' / 'WW' plates- non-locals seem to put a bit more effort into going further afield.

Vis-a-vis 'Vinho-verde'- Sainsburys Sprucefield have it @ £5 a bottle + 25% off when you buy 6 or more- with a customer quota of 12 bottles (which for the first time in their lives- they seem to be insisting on).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

+ if the powers that be here bring in minimum drinks pricing in Tuesday weeks budget it will mean a Christmas exodus to the north.
    Have you heard any talk of it coming in with the budget? I think they are quite separate. Also they have to prove to the EU they cannot do this via normal taxation.

A lot of people think/presume the mininmum pricing is some form or tax, levy or excise -that they want more revenue. But probably the most objectionable & idiotic thing about it is that they get very little extra revenue.

If a €1 can goes to €2, the supermarket get 81cent more profit, the government get a mere 19cent, as the only extra revenue is VAT.

In another thread I worked out that a man who drinks the max safe guideline of 17 units per week will pay €548.96 extra per year if he drinks tesco beer.

This is 35 times higher than what ministers & senators are telling people the average would be
    People who drink alcohol purchased in supermarkets and consume it within the safe limits will pay 30 cent a week more, which is €15.70 over a full year, with minimum unit pricing.
    http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/seanad2015121700002
    https://www.kildarestreet.com/sendebates/?id=2015-12-17a.93

If it does go ahead it would be worth stocking up on spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

My heart sinks and panic kicks in when I hear those words mentioned , is that just me ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭NinetyForNone

The "Eastern European Cuisine" week @ LIDL sees the return of Argus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The "Eastern European Cuisine" week @ LIDL sees the return of Argus

YES. :cool::cool::cool:

When does this begin?

EDIT: Just saw it started Monday! Hopefully they still have some left in the Dun Laoghaire Lidls ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

They can't bring minimum pricing in as part of the budget. However, there will be increases in alcohol duty before minimum pricing is introduced. The price of alcohol has gone up so much in the last couple of years that minimum pricing will make no difference now unless they raise the minimum pricing threshold. It's a joke (and contravenes EU law - the taxpayer can expect big fines for this nonsense as well as the Apple farce down the line - so that's the extra revenue gone).

In more relevant booze deals news, the excellent Il Capolavaro Appassimento is just 10 euro in Supervalu at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Haven't seen this posted yet...:wassat:
    Tesco 6 for €50 wine deal is running again. 4th to 14th October.
    Choice of 14 different wines...

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32297406

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

The quoted price for some of the wines in Tesco are a little on the high side.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Kop Idol wrote: »
    Haven't seen this posted yet...:wassat:
    Tesco 6 for €50 wine deal is running again. 4th to 14th October.
    Choice of 14 different wines...

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32297406

Plus 5% off the “original” price

Eg “was €12.00” x 6 = €72.00 x 5% = €3.60

€50.00 - €3.60 = €46.40 / 6 = €7.73 a bottle on a “€12.00” bottle of wine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Beer and cider deals are non existent in Tesco due to the wine offer. I'd never buy 6 bottles of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭droidman123

Beer and cider deals are non existent in Tesco due to the wine offer. I'd never buy 6 bottles of wine.

24 cans of canadian for €26

24 cans of canadian for €26

Yeah I saw that actually, thanks :) There's usually a few cider deals too though and a choice of lagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Bud was €17 for box of bottles and think Carlsberg was the same, Heineken was €22 though.

In Tescos.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Bud was €17 for box of bottles and think Carlsberg was the same, Heineken was €22 though.

In Tescos.

Didn't notice that. Might think of buying bottles in future, Carlsberg being the nicer option imo.

Didn't notice that. Might think of buying bottles in future, Carlsberg being the nicer option imo.

I generally go for the tins myself because of convenience, IE recycle bin.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I generally go for the tins myself because of convenience, IE recycle bin.

That's spot on. Too many bottles are a nightmare.

Be better off giving us bottle bins instead of brown bins - imagine the racket though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

Dunnes Stores have 24 cans of Carling for €24.

M

Bud tomorrow and Sunday is €1.09 a can in Lidl...might be of use to someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Any wine on offer Lidl tomoro 😬

8 cans of Guinness is 11 euro in Eurospar once you use your loyalty card. There is also a free rugby glass instore also which you can claim with the 8 packs.I got it in the Drogheda store yesterday evening.

Poor aul wan in front of me this morning trying to buy a 6 pack of it, like a bold child - taken off here, that 10.30 law is a load of me bollix, it serves nothing or no one and is pure inconvenient

GY A1 wrote: »
    Any wine on offer Lidl tomoro ��

I think from Mon they have 3 for €25, not sure how great an offer that is

Carryout has 8 cans of Carlsberg for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭elperello

vicwatson wrote: »
    I think from Mon they have 3 for €25, not sure how great an offer that is

Depends on whether you like the wine.
    Three bottles of one you like is good value at €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Just be careful.its the single cans of bud that are 1.09 not the multipaks.( 8 for 13 euro).as i just found out.

Spotted this in lidl today, shall we split it between us all on this thread?. I was tempted to ask one of the staff to help me lift it into the trolley to see their reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭TriStar6

Tesco 6 bottles for €50 is on until 14th plus the normal 5% off us added on so just under €8 a bottle.
    Includes brancott/villa maria/casillero del diablo/wolf blass yellow label

• Advertisement
    M

Dunnes
    Smirnoff/Captain Morgan/Baileys/Gordons/Bells 3x700ml bottles for €50, you can mix and match and there's the €10 off €50 voucher you get back too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement