Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

qualified carpenter wants to teach??

• 31-12-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

hi im a fully qualified carpenter 26,qualified nearly 6 years and i want to go into teaching either secondary school or in fas training apprentices but i dont know where to start any help would be appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

limerick used to be the only option to go to but i think gmit letterfrack has a course now. As far as i am aware you wont have to do the four years, think you get to skip first year. Pretty hard to get into i think, a couple of my mates have gone back to do it. during the boom you would have laughed at the thought but now it seems like a good idea. even considered it myself for a while. i know of a few lads who got in teaching one in fas and another into a school but think it was pure luck just with basic qualifications. Carpentry one of them cabinet making the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Thetrainer

jakko - There are no jobs in FAS training carpentry/cabinet making apprentices because there are no apprentices coming through in these trades. Its a pity because I feel we should be training a few classes of these a year :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I know that boat building may not be your thing or this type of teaching but they might have other courses you could look into, I guess anything is worth a shot. http://afloat.ie/resources/business/jobs-and-careers/item/17439-fas-job-opportunity-fas-project-co-ordinator-in-athlone-co-westmeath

Another place that might be worth a look is http://www.menssheds.ie/

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

thanks guys was hoping to find a part time course so i could earn a bit of money to pay the bills etc. but its not looking good,looks like id have to start from scratch on a full time 4 year course which is very disapointing, i know hindsight is 20/20 but jesus looking back i dont know what i was thinkin not looking into it when i was looking at my cao choices....

Advertisement