Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Will be good to have a proper backup/competition at 10 next year. Still can't believe NOC was brought back this year.

Great to have so much talent coming through, hopefully some more forwards in the pipeline too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Great to have so much talent coming through, hopefully some more forwards in the pipeline too?
    I don't think there many that said the pack as a whole is relatively young.

Court (32) Brady(33) Muller(32) Wilson(31) and Best(30) are the only forwards in the squad over 30. By the way Paddy Wallace (33) is the only back in the squad over.

Hooker looks like the position where Ulster most need to bring someone through in the medium term. Seeing no real prospect in the system Ulster brought in Irish Qualified South African Rob Herring (23) last summer who has already become second choice Hooker. Hopefully he stays in Ulster long term rather than going back to South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What about Annett? Anscombe is giving him more and more time.

What about Annett? Anscombe is giving him more and more time.
    I'll admit that I don't really rate him and I think that Anscombe is giving him 10-20 minute cameos just because there needs to be someone with experience as 3rd choice when Brady retires (probably at the end of the season) and Anscombe can't (Doesn't want to) get an NIQ in to be 3rd choice.

Personally I would have Casey, Rael and Scannell, all from the Munster academy ahead of him.

That said it would be great if he comes through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Fridays game is live on BBC website, nowhere else this week.

• Advertisement

Fridays game is live on BBC website, nowhere else this week.

It's it def on there, can't see it mentioned.

I don't think there many that said the pack as a whole is relatively young.

Court (32) Brady(33) Muller(32) Wilson(31) and Best(30) are the only forwards in the squad over 30. By the way Paddy Wallace (33) is the only back in the squad over.

Hooker looks like the position where Ulster most need to bring someone through in the medium term. Seeing no real prospect in the system Ulster brought in Irish Qualified South African Rob Herring (23) last summer who has already become second choice Hooker. Hopefully he stays in Ulster long term rather than going back to South Africa.

Thinking more about when Muller, Afoa and Williams leave, big boots to fill, especially that crucial #3

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not listed on the BBC schedule for Friday night, either 1 or 2. Weird, I'm pretty sure they've covered every game this season home and away, not sure why they'd miss this one?

awec wrote: »
    It's not listed on the BBC schedule for Friday night, either 1 or 2. Weird, I'm pretty sure they've covered every game this season home and away, not sure why they'd miss this one?
    internet only apparently

One of the treviso games was like that too
    Thinking more about when Muller, Afoa and Williams leave, big boots to fill, especially that crucial #3
    Good partnership at lock between Tuohy and Stevenson, will need a backup option though or move Henderson to the row but if you do you need someone in the backrow.

In Wilson and Williams Ulster have two short run number 8s. A replacement is needed but to be honest I don't see one in the system at the moment.

As to replacing Afoa, well thats a crapshoot. Macklin has looked like he has potential, but his season was wrecked by injury for the second season in a row. Could be another Fitzpatrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

just wondering who won the ulster schools cup after had to go off didnt get to see the whole game MCB were winning the last i saw it.

• Advertisement

internet only apparently

One of the treviso games was like that too

Good partnership at lock between Tuohy and Stevenson, will need a backup option though or move Henderson to the row but if you do you need someone in the backrow.

In Wilson and Williams Ulster have two short run number 8s. A replacement is needed but to be honest I don't see one in the system at the moment.

As to replacing Afoa, well thats a crapshoot. Macklin has looked like he has potential, but his season was wrecked by injury for the second season in a row. Could be another Fitzpatrick.

We don't have anyone at the moment who is the pedigree of Afoa IMO. That is a major worry.

He's the best TH in the country by some distance to be honest, we really are poor at bringing through players in this positon.
    just wondering who won the ulster schools cup after had to go off didnt get to see the whole game MCB were winning the last i saw it.

Methody won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Why don't they put it on the red button like they did with one of the games earlier in the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,771 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »
    We don't have anyone at the moment who is the pedigree of Afoa IMO. That is a major worry.

He's the best TH in the country by some distance to be honest, we really are poor at bringing through players in this positon.

Methody won.

To be honest there are very few teams out there with someone of the pedigree of Afoa.

Cheque book will have to be produced when he decides to head back to NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

i may be completely off the mark but i think olding has many of the qualities required of a 13. Keep Marshall at 12 and push olding out to 13. When I watch him play he has 'young BOD' like qualities to his movement and running....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    i may be completely off the mark but i think olding has many of the qualities required of a 13. Keep Marshall at 12 and push olding out to 13. When I watch him play he has 'young BOD' like qualities to his movement and running....

Think he could be good at 13 as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

It's it def on there, can't see it mentioned.

That info came from Stephen Watson.

Update on injury news..
    Iain Henderson is the latest injury worry for Ulster ahead of the Heineken Cup quarter-final against Saracens.
    The young forward suffered ligament damage to his foot after coming on as a replacement for Luke Fitzgerald during Ireland's Six Nations defeat by Italy.
    With fellow blindside flanker Stephen Ferris already ruled out for the season, Henderson's absence would be a major blow for coach Mark Anscombe.
    Centre Luke Marshall also faces a race to be fit for the game with Saracens.
    Marshall was forced to come off with concussion for the second game in succession during the defeat in Rome.
    The inside centre sustained the problem in a clash of heads with Ulster team-mate Paddy Jackson.
    Tight-head prop Declan Fitzpatrick was also injured while on Ireland duty, while Chris Henry is recovering after undergoing surgery on a knee injury.
    Roger Wilson is recovering from injury and captain Johann Muller is expected to be fit for the big European tie at Twickenham on 6 April.
    Another long-term absentee, Jared Payne, is set to make his return to action in Friday's Pro12 game against Edinburgh, along with back row Nick Williams.

Muller, Williams and Payne all in the squad for Friday:

Forwards (14)

Neil McComb, Callum Black, John Afoa, Robbie Diack, Mike McComish, Dan Tuohy, Lewis Stevenson, Johann Muller, Nick Williams, Rob Herring, Niall Annett, Ricky Lutton, Tom Court, Nigel Brady

Backs (11)

Ricky Andrew, Jared Payne, Michael Allen, Paul Marshall, Peter Nelson, Michael Heaney, Paddy Jackson, Stuart Olding, Darren Cave, Andrew Trimble, Niall O’Connor

ETA: No Pienaar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

From what I heard yesterday Hendo is defo out of the QF but Marshall will be ok but wont be allowed to play before.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

bilston wrote: »
    From what I heard yesterday Hendo is defo out of the QF but Marshall will be ok but wont be allowed to play before.

Argh, when will it end? I can't believe the luck Ireland and her provinces are having with injuries at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

rchendz92 wrote: »
    Argh, when will it end? I can't believe the luck Ireland and her provinces are having with injuries at the moment.

I blame Ulster, they started it and spread it to the national side, now looks like they may have cost a good man his job over it, hope your all very pleased with yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

shuffol wrote: »
    I blame Ulster, they started it and spread it to the national side, now looks like they may have cost a good man his job over it, hope your all very pleased with yourselves.

If it got rid of Kidney, surely it was all for the greater good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Trimble has signed a new two year contract with Ireland/Ulster.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11296.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

rchendz92 wrote: »
    If it got rid of Kidney, surely it was all for the greater good :pac:

I've heard of taking one for the team but this taking the team to get rid of one is new to me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Clegg wrote: »

Certainly well deserved on Ulster form. But it is a bit surprising, especially with Gilroy and Bowe signed up already for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm more surprised that he's signed a central contract.

He's hardly a starter for Ireland and was sixth choice wing for this seasons 6 Nations.

Seems like a waste of a contract to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Utah_Saint wrote: »

He could well become a good 13 if he is developed there. He certainly has the attributes and has played 10,12 & 15 which are also good indicators that he has the skill, vision & pace for the position. 13 is becoming an increasingly difficult & exposed position at the top level though so it's hard to tell yet if he could make the transition.

Speaking of this subject, I'm also yet to see any indicator that would rule out Marshall as an excellent 13. He has a great break & acceleration, he's a very good defender and even had a couple of good turnovers during the 6N. I know he's primarily a 12, with some experience at 10, but I can't see why he wouldn't be seen as a potential 13.

Surprised to see him get a central contract, but good news!

Clegg wrote: »

Central contract for Trimble while Zebo, Gilroy, Fitzgerald and McFadden, all of whom are ahead of him in the pecking order don't have central contracts

Seems a little funny to me. Ah well best of luck to him and I'm glad he is staying with Ulster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Central contract for Trimble while Zebo, Gilroy, Fitzgerald and McFadden, all of whom are ahead of him in the pecking order don't have central contracts

Seems a little funny to me. Ah well best of luck to him and I'm glad he is staying with Ulster

Dont try to make sense of the CC's, they make none.

Fair play to Trimble, his Ulster form has been really excellent.

8 tries in all comps to Gilroys 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    He could well become a good 13 if he is developed there. He certainly has the attributes and has played 10,12 & 15 which are also good indicators that he has the skill, vision & pace for the position. 13 is becoming an increasingly difficult & exposed position at the top level though so it's hard to tell yet if he could make the transition.

Speaking of this subject, I'm also yet to see any indicator that would rule out Marshall as an excellent 13. He has a great break & acceleration, he's a very good defender and even had a couple of good turnovers during the 6N. I know he's primarily a 12, with some experience at 10, but I can't see why he wouldn't be seen as a potential 13.

I think Marshall could do a job at 13 but for him to get the experience there it will involve Cave moving on... Olding/Marshall centre partnership sounds great - although it will be a good few years off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement