Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once more into the fray...

• 01-09-2014 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Welcome to my study log.

Just would like to keep track of my progression, and it would be messy if I did this in a copy and so on. Also, I think it'd be a nice idea to have other people [who are interested] to watch me like a overhead God!

Subjects:
    Irish [H hopefully]
    English [H]
    Maths [H]
    Geography [H]
    Biology [H]
    Physchem [H]
    Italian [H]

I don't really know what I'd like to do at University, but I have a rough idea. It could be engineering, or psychology ... maybe even physics? I really don't know, but interest is growing in the Space Industry, so I might aim for that through physics or/and engineering. It's also growing very rapidly as I'm sure NASA and the lot would need more engineers and so on in the future. Recently they announced the first launch for Mars in 2018! Loads of potential jobs.

This log will be a disaster.

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Did homework today [which took a bit over two hours].

Writing new vocabulary into a special copy for Irish, and spent some time scrolling through past-papers on examinations.ie. Just trying to come face to face with the exam so I know what I'm dealing with.

Will be more focused on Irish and Italian for awhile throughout the upcoming months.

Another two hours on homework today, most of it being English.

I'd consider some of my homework really great study - like English, doing questions from pastpapers so we can get a feel etc. This is excellent in my opinion.

Spent some time going over basic general questions for the Italian oral. Just need to really perfect my accent, but that will hopefully come over time.

Read through Italian and Geography past papers.

Tomorrow, I'll start exploring Irish a bit more.

Another two hours on homework today, most of it being English.

I'd consider some of my homework really great study - like English, doing questions from pastpapers so we can get a feel etc. This is excellent in my opinion.

Spent some time going over basic general questions for the Italian oral. Just need to really perfect my accent, but that will hopefully come over time.

Read through Italian and Geography past papers.

Tomorrow, I'll start exploring Irish a bit more.

Started outlining some interesting words in my sceal for studied fiction. Google translator is helping me learn them. I'll have a list by this weekend, and make it my weekend goal to learn a set of words.

Did some homework, and have a biology, Italian and Physchem test tomorrow. They're easy... For me.

Organised all my notes, have folders for every subject and designated polly pockets for each new chapter. :D

Added a bunch of new words to my Irish vocab copy. Started a new copy for Italian Oral stuff, so hopefully that will be packed full of handy things [already have a lot of general questions] in the near future.

This weekend, I will attempt to learn MOST of the vocab in my Irish vocab copy. I want to test the capacity of my learning ability.

Homework was nice today, and managed [I never use notes to complete science homework, good habit] to complete my biology, phsychem and Irish assignments without the aid of any notes. That's the best way to study in my opinion. Wrote almost an A4 page on the topic of Poverty for Irish :D surprised how much I was able to flesh out. Next week I should try it again this time without my vocab copy!

Right, I have two copy pages full of new words and phrases. Going to learn five a day/two days and see how that goes. I don't want to rush, and try learn it naturally by somehow integrating the word or phrase into my every day life.

Italian general questions 1 - 18 are nailed down. :D

• Advertisement

Right, managed to learn 20 new words/phrases in irish. Will keep refreshing myself every day for a few minutes so they could stick to me.

Going to start listening to Italian podcasts and see how that goes for a month. Hopefully I'll pull myself for a few minutes every day to listen to crazy Italians converse about the world :p

Learning A 250-300 word essay for Bochtanas in Irish today.

Made experimental mind maps for regions in Geography, and promised to myself to LEARN like 30 verbs for Italian over the weekend. Patiently waiting for the results of my Irish test!

Need to figure out how to incorporate my language subjects into my every day life outside school. I really need to master them :l

Okay, time to get the ball rolling again.

What I've done outside school since last log:
    - Formulated complete study notes for Regional Geography
    - Organised my language notes (Irish and Italian)
    - Starting notes for Maths

Today: I revised 3 out of the 5 pictures stories for Italian, and have read through the chapters I've covered in biology.

Tomorrow: Revise Irish pictures - maths notes - relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've decided I'm going to drop Irish when I start sixth year, it's not worth the hassle and I don't need the points or pass in Irish. Just want a C in Ordinary at least :D.

Today:
    Revise Motion and Mechanics for PhysChem
    Make Irish Notes
    Revise Italian pictures

• Advertisement

What I've done since last log:
    - Complete set of geography notes (SRP sheets basically for all chapters we did)
    - Halfway through revision notes for Maths
    - Started compiling Irish notes
    - Reading a lot more (to help with English)

Goals for the next few weeks:
    - Finish Maths notes, and stay up to date
    - Finish Irish notes
    - Read newspaper daily (I'll try ..)
    - Study for summer exams

Started formulating a timetable for the subjects I'm weakest on, the idea only emerged last week.
    Wednesday --> Maths (notes)
    Friday --> Irish (notes)
    Saturday --> Maths (mini exam)
    Sunday --> Geography (notes + one exam question)

Will update this once every Sunday for now.

What I've done since last log:
    - Complete set of geography notes (SRP sheets basically for all chapters we did)
    - Halfway through revision notes for Maths
    - Started compiling Irish notes
    - Reading a lot more (to help with English)

Goals for the next few weeks:
    - Finish Maths notes, and stay up to date
    - Finish Irish notes
    - Read newspaper daily (I'll try ..)
    - Study for summer exams

Started formulating a timetable for the subjects I'm weakest on, the idea only emerged last week.
    Wednesday --> Maths (notes)
    Friday --> Irish (notes)
    Saturday --> Maths (mini exam)
    Sunday --> Geography (notes + one exam question)

Will update this once every Sunday for now.

Didn't finish maths notes unfortunately, will get that done by Tuesday me thinks.

Did:
    - Revised Optics, Refraction and Current Electricity.
    - Revised four out of five pictures stories for Italian.
    - Progressed in Maths notes (actually starting to understand stuff I didn't months ago :D)
    - Irish notes.

Will do this week:
    - Finish Math notes
    - Revise the rest of PhysChem
    - Read through biology notes
    - Update geography notes
    - RELAX
    :D

Summer exams in five weeks or so. I'm aiming for 450 points minimum.

Did:
    - More maths note (WILL FINISH BY THE END OF THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!)
    - Glanced through Irish Sraith Pictures ... there's too many...
    - Revised Italian pictures
    - Revised a few biology chapters
    - Revised a few PhysChem chapters

Will do:
    - Completely revise biology (do questions)
    - Finish maths notes
    - Write Irish answers
    - Write Geography answers (maybe two)
    - Start Italian roleplays

I'm wrecked today. Had a competition today, and just arrived home like an hour ago. Not going to do anything today, just glance through some study for tomorrow. Managed to make it to the Irish Team :D.

Ran out of paper for math notes...:(

Almost done.

Finished maths notes! I feel like I have a better command over complex numbers and logs (the hardest chapters so far). It has taken 49 A4 Pages to summarise - and I'm planning to rewrite the notes + do questions on the days leading to the maths exam. I need a B minimum! Will study hard!

For the week, I will completely revise PhysChem by doing questions.

Will also start making a list of quotes for English on my three comparative texts and king lear.

Don't know how to study Irish ... :l

This weekend:
    - Revised all of biology
    - Revised all of PhysChem
    - Snooped around for a few quotes to use for English
    - Revised all of Maths
    - Glanced over Italian verbs

Summer exams in two days.
    Subject
    Expected
    Will make me happy:
    Biology
    A1
    A1
    PhysChem
    A2
    A1
    Maths
    B1
    A1
    English
    B1
    A2
    Geography
    A2
    A1
    Italian
    C1
    B1 (although my oral and listening went quite well!)
    Irish
    E
    D1

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Lena137

Hey, what books do you use for Italian? I want to study it but not sure what stuff I need for it :)

Lena137 wrote: »
    Hey, what books do you use for Italian? I want to study it but not sure what stuff I need for it :)

Actually don't use books. Teacher just prints out sheets and makes his own notes.

Mi piace l'italiano!

Got my results - fairly happy but definitely see room for improvement in a subject or two.

English - B2
    Irish - B2 (shocked!!)
    Maths - C3 (gutted... Need to work on it :o)
    Geography - B2
    Italian - B3 (not bad)
    Physchem - A1
    Biology - A1

525 points which is enough for engineering but the C3 in maths is touching the requirements, can't risk getting anything below the C3. Need to get a B3 at least! :p

Going to drop to ordinary Irish, and take up applied maths full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kitkat98

Got my results - fairly happy but definitely see room for improvement in a subject or two.

English - B2
    Irish - B2 (shocked!!)
    Maths - C3 (gutted... Need to work on it :o)
    Geography - B2
    Italian - B3 (not bad)
    Physchem - A1
    Biology - A1

525 points which is enough for engineering but the C3 in maths is touching the requirements, can't risk getting anything below the C3. Need to get a B3 at least! :p

Going to drop to ordinary Irish, and take up applied maths full time.
    Wow! Well done on your results, they're brilliant!

• Advertisement

kitkat98 wrote: »
    Wow! Well done on your results, they're brilliant!

Maths though... All I wanted was a B3.. Didn't care about other subjects.

I got everything bar the maths :D funny...
    You chuffed with your results?

Introduction into 6th year today - so we didn't have classes.

-Went through 2/5 italian picture sequences.

Hoping to get a lot more done tomorrow since I'll have classes and hence my summer exam scripts returned. :)

-Covered the rest of Italian pictures today.
    -Revised and did questions for Diffusion + Osmosis and Tissue Culture Chapters.
    -Planned a King Lear question and did a full composition question from paper one 2012. My hand hurts, got 5 pages in 105mins :o. So rusty...

-Revised and did questions for Cell Division and DNA/RNA chapters.
    -Fixed and reorganised maths notes.
    -Fixed and reorganised English notes.
    -Did all revision questions for Algebra 1. Definitely feel like I have a more tighter knowledge, amazing how a simple maths problem would make your day... (it was a slow painful death :o).

-Some Maths questions, will finish them tomorrow.

Today was a cool down day because the homework did build up and I want to keep it to exam standard :).

No energy to do anything remotely productive thanks to a busy weekend.

Did a few maths questions yesterday but still haven't finished the revision section for Algebra 2.

On the bright side, a study timetable to keep me going until Christmas has been formulated :D.

Lazy me will spend the rest of today reading through old notes and my new book :).

TOMORROW I WILL SHOW NO MERCY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Consonata

No energy to do anything remotely productive thanks to a busy weekend.

Did a few maths questions yesterday but still haven't finished the revision section for Algebra 2.

On the bright side, a study timetable to keep me going until Christmas has been formulated :D.

Lazy me will spend the rest of today reading through old notes and my new book :).

TOMORROW I WILL SHOW NO MERCY!

Yesterday was my unproductive day haha. I did only a few notes but I had no energy whatsoever. Did a run this morning and felt much better.

Consonata wrote: »
    Yesterday was my unproductive day haha. I did only a few notes but I had no energy whatsoever. Did a run this morning and felt much better.

Exercise is great for that. I think everyone should do something at least once every second day.

Love going to the park when no one is there and the sun is spewing contrasting colours above the horizon - helps think about the hard days coming ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Imaginary Friend

This is such a detailed thread, I'm impressed by how long you've been going on. Hope you had a fun weekend, gotta get that work/life balance.

Keep going, you're doing so well!

(I actually think I remember seeing you around on the JC and TY fora ... Mad!)

• Advertisement

Testing testing... 123...procrastinator speaking...

Tomorrow will be a much more productive day.

GOALS FOR TOMORROW:
    -Two exam questions geography
    -Finish Algebra 2
    -Do questions and fully revise one Physchem chapter
    -Start planning full king Lear question
    -Mini Italian homemade oral test

:)

Advertisement