Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory Best injury - Collar Bone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭overshoot

hopefully its all a big ploy to keep our hopes down;)
    i think its a testiment to the way he has been playing though that there is 8 pages about his collarbone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

.ak wrote: »
    Also, possibility that healy might get cited for the shoulder charge he put on bergamasco trying to clear him out, but he didn't attempt to wrap his arms around. It was after bergamasco threw a few wild digs

Today started off so well but if we were to lose 2/3 of our front row we have one foot already on the plane home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

padser wrote: »
    Today started off so well but if we were to lose 2/3 of our front row we have one foot already on the plane home

Good to see such a wonderful glass half full type of attitude..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Is Strauss eligible yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

B0X wrote: »
    Is Strauss eligible yet?

No. He will be in November 2012. Thirteen long months from now :(

Although if Best keeps up this form when he recovers and if Sherry keeps improving, then Strauss might be a little down the pecking order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

RoryMc23 wrote: »
    Leen is being such a child. "I know something you dont!!" Why doesn't he just say who the other injury worry is?

In fairness, he gets told things from close to the squad which he shouldn't make public.

Firstly, because the person who's talking to him might expect that he wouldn't reveal the info.

Secondly because if there is an injury to a player you don't make that public unless its obvious or necessary. He's presumably an Irish supporter too and doesn't wish to tell Warren Gatland who may be carrying a knock/what kind of knock it is.

That's if it is an injury and not a citing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Well then he should have said nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'm fully confident in Sean O'Brien's ability to play loose-head/hooker/tight-head/lock/blindside/openside/8/scrummie/fly-half/wing/centre/FB. (delete as appropriate)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I am fairly hopeful that Sean can step up to the mark, his few throws were fairly decent today, hopefully they have been working hard on it during this extended time away with Ireland. Would like to see Leo in the 22 if he starts though, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

durkadurka wrote: »
    Well then he should have said nothing

The Best injury was already public. The other non-information is non-specific.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

marco_polo wrote: »
    I am fairly hopeful that Sean can step up to the mark, his few throws were fairly decent today, hopefully they have been working hard on it during this extended time away with Ireland. Would like to see Leo in the 22 if he starts though, just in case.

leo ? maybe the beer has gotten to me but why leo just in case ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'm guessing Leen might be talking about a citing, Healy punched the Italian hooker. He says something like "36 hours to find out" which would roughly coincide with the closing of the citing window. Neither Healy nor Ross were injured during the game anyway. And I doubt he has any inside info there either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

duckysauce wrote: »
    leo ? maybe the beer has gotten to me but why leo just in case ?

Had a few myself :p, but I was thinking of having an absolute banker short option in the Lineout should the worst happen with SC's delivery I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

danthefan wrote: »
    I'm guessing Leen might be talking about a citing, Healy punched the Italian hooker. He says something like "36 hours to find out" which would roughly coincide with the closing of the citing window. Neither Healy nor Ross were injured during the game anyway. And I doubt he has any inside info there either.

would say they would let him off, if he did get citied after they see video , as Williams the Samoan fb was let off after they saw what the Saffer was doing to him. And he struck in the face aswell , more a slap than a punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bearnabeauty

From a very good source, Rory's tournament is finished with a broken collarbone! Mike Sherry called up as replacement!

Hopefully Cronin can stand up and be counted! And everyone gets behind him..

From a very good source, Rory's tournament is finished with a broken collarbone! Mike Sherry called up as replacement!

Devastating news if true. We've already lost our back up, now to lose Best, who has been key to every game so far, puts us in serious trouble.

Cronin, I feel, can do it, though. His darts have looked good so far this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

tolosenc wrote: »
    Devastating news if true. We've already lost our back up, now to lose Best, who has been key to every game so far, puts us in serious trouble.

Cronin, I feel, can do it, though. His darts have looked good so far this tournament.

Some opportunity for Cronin, lets hope Best passes on whatever he's been taking before he heads home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Best was the back up

twinytwo wrote: »
    Best was the back up

I doubt Flannery would have started any of the games so far. Best was definitely the number 1 number 2.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

I doubt Flannery would have started any of the games so far. Best was definitely the number 1 number 2.

Doubt that very much.

Fit Flannery would have started.
    Best has only started to perform at the tournament which would have been too late had Jerry been fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Awful news (if true) for both best and ireland.

great chance for cronin (and varley) sherry wont feature barring injury id say.

on a side note, leaves munster with just dennis fogarty (4th choice) and sean henry (5th choice). thats a lil worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

castie wrote: »
    Doubt that very much.

Best has only started to perform at the tournament which would have been too late had Jerry been fit.

Well, it's academic anyway. Can't wait to see how Nugget gets on. He's been excellent in the loose and in terms of scrummaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

castie wrote: »
    Doubt that very much.

That's a nonsense. Best was one of our better players throughout Six Nations and has continued that form into World Cup. Flannery played against England in warm up game and Thompson destroyed him in some of the scrums. There is not a chance he was starting ahead of Best. It's bad enough news about Best without people talking rubbish on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's a sprain, not a break:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/worldcup/2011/1003/bestr_ireland_rwc.html

So they're saying he's "doubtful for the weekend but we haven't written him off just yet".

Not good news, but certainly better than a broken collarbone.
    Rory Best's participation in Ireland's World Cup quarter-final against Wales on Saturday is in serious doubt.

Best sprained the AC join in his right shoulder during yesterday's 36-6 victory over Italy at Otago Stadium and is receiving treatment.

A replacement for the Ulster hooker, who has been playing the best rugby of his Ireland career, has yet to be summoned and a clearer picture over his condition will emerge tomorrow.

"Rory's doubtful for the weekend but we haven't written him off just yet," said manager Paul McNaughton.

"We'll assess it tomorrow and have more information then. He's definitely doubtful.

"He's getting manipulation at the moment. We'll have a better idea tomorrow after a morning's treatment."

Ireland have already lost one hooker during the World Cup after Jerry Flannery returned home two and a half weeks ago with a calf problem.

"Rory has been playing fantastic rugby and it would be a blow if he's not available," added McNaughton.

"But we have two hookers out here and back up in Ireland if we need it.

"Other teams have had injury problems and we must get on with it."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is there special dispensation for calling up front row players when a squad member is not out for the rest of the tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Is there special dispensation for calling up front row players when a squad member is not out for the rest of the tournament?

nope, we already have Cronin and Varley out there, so can have a full front row replacement in 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Brewster wrote: »
    That's a nonsense. Best was one of our better players throughout Six Nations and has continued that form into World Cup. Flannery played against England in warm up game and Thompson destroyed him in some of the scrums. There is not a chance he was starting ahead of Best. It's bad enough news about Best without people talking rubbish on here.

A lot of people will never value Best or notice the amount of work he does. People will ignore that often when both Flannery and Best were fit, Best was selected ahead of Flannery. Best has generally been putting in these type of shifts but for the past couple of seasons the line out has been misfiring on and off due to a number of reasons (and continued to misfire with Flannery in it in the warm ups) and people used Best as a scapegoat. Now that the line out is very solid, he's suddenly playing a blinder. He was playing very well for a long time.

He's a massive blow for the side if he's out for just one game or for the remainder of the tournament. Can only hope it's just one game and he's back fit and raring to go in the event of us beating Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

So much for these good sources...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

A sprain is better then a break. Still a couple if weeks healing at best. Forgive the pun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

A sprain is better then a break. Still a couple if weeks healing at best. Forgive the pun.

Given we thought he was out I'd take him being fit for semi final

Advertisement