Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vikings [History Channel - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,842 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im absolutely loving this show at the moment

Ragnar is right up there with the likes of Raylan and Boyd for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wonder what they brothers up too? He has some sly dealings in the background and
    I'd say he had ulterior motives for becoming Christian.

Only two episodes left in the season according to IMDB. :(

Has this been picked up for a second series?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wonder what they brothers up too? He has some sly dealings in the background and

Yep, renewed for a second series on the 5th of April.10 episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

I can't help but feel like the events therein could have done with a season of build up rather then occuring 6 episodes in

I don't know if I could have withstood it for much longer. Maybe if they'd made him a more well rounded, compelling villain, but he was such a one-dimensional, pantomime villain that his presence was just toxic to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Anachrony wrote: »
    I don't know if I could have withstood it for much longer. Maybe if they'd made him a more well rounded, compelling villain, but he was such a one-dimensional, pantomime villain that his presence was just toxic to the show.

I have no doubt had Gabriel Bryne signed for the full season his characters arc would have changed accordingly and he would not have seemed so Pantomime to you, but his 6 episode commitment forced their hand and so his arc was rushed. That being said i think he is far from one dimensional and pantomime , you make him sound like a mustache twirling cliche villian when in fact by giving us insight into his doubts and the death of his sons/heirs through his scenes with Siggy and the oracle they gave him some measure of depth maybe not enough for 3 dimensions but definitely enough for 2 :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'd say he converted as it may help in any future negotiations with other rulers.
    I read somewhere before that one reason Vikings took to raiding is thst they were looked down upon for being pagans and were ostracised.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

that was a good ep, the brother shouldn't have done that and he shouldnt' have let him

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Frostine

I'm loving this show!! I didn't know it was an Irish/Canadian produced series. Does anyone know where in Ireland it's filmed? The scenery is absolutely gorgeous! Can't believe the season finale is on sunday!:(

Frostine wrote: »
    I'm loving this show!! I didn't know it was an Irish/Canadian produced series. Does anyone know where in Ireland it's filmed? The scenery is absolutely gorgeous! Can't believe the season finale is on sunday!:(

Filmed in my home county of Wicklow I believe .

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

It's filmed mostly around Glendalough, lots of CGI enhanced snowy mountains in the scenery that you would never find in Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Amazing show. My new favorite even above Game of Thrones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

it's comparible, but steady on haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭squonk

Hold on there! My sequence is GoT followed by Vikings. Vikings is a cheaper, less flashy GoT. Nothing beats GoT but Vikings is worthilly claiming the right to be mentioned in the same breath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

DL Saint wrote: »
    It's filmed mostly around Glendalough, lots of CGI enhanced snowy mountains in the scenery that you would never find in Ireland...

More jobs and money for Ireland re; season 2 :)

DL Saint wrote: »
    I was thinking there must be plenty of CGI if they're filming in Ireland.
    squonk wrote: »
    Hold on there! My sequence is GoT followed by Vikings. Vikings is a cheaper, less flashy GoT. Nothing beats GoT but Vikings is worthilly claiming the right to be mentioned in the same breath.
    Vikings trumps GOT by being set on real people. GoT is a nice fantasy distraction, Vikings tells the story of what happened to our ancestors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Vikings trumps GOT by being set on real people. GoT is a nice fantasy distraction, Vikings tells the story of what happened to our ancestors.

Vikings is a good show but it doesnt come close to GOT, historically based or not. Is it even on a level with the likes of Spartacus yet ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is it even on a level with the likes of Spartacus yet ?
    IMHO it's a mile better than the later two Spartacus series. The first two are probably still a little better than Vikings, but not a whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

i thought parts of GOT were filmed in ireland?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

deco nate wrote: »
    i thought parts of GOT were filmed in ireland?

Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

thank you.i knew i was right,even if its the nordy side :)lol

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    IMHO it's a mile better than the later two Spartacus series. The first two are probably still a little better than Vikings, but not a whole lot.

Dont think its better, might seem that way as those last couple seasons suffered from not being on a par with the first while Vikings is new and without comparison, but those first two Spartacus seasons were absolutely brilliant. Cant see Vikings ever reaching that level tbh.

Still a great show though.

Vikings is a good show but it doesnt come close to GOT, historically based or not. Is it even on a level with the likes of Spartacus yet ?
    I guess it's a matter of opinion but Spartacus was too stylised for my liking and it's the same with GoT. I want to see more realistic characters acting as people would act rather than than the fantasy realm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Great show, thrilled its getting a second season.

Having been a huge fan of Spartacus this beats it by a country mile. Vikings is much more original with no dodgy Australian accents or screaming/roaring into the camera.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Having been a huge fan of Spartacus this beats it by a country mile. Vikings is much more original with no dodgy Australian accents or screaming/roaring into the camera.

Isn't the main guy in Vikings Australian in real life?

I guess it's a matter of opinion but Spartacus was too stylised for my liking and it's the same with GoT. I want to see more realistic characters acting as people would act rather than than the fantasy realm.

Yah it'll all boil down to personal opinion and I understand the attraction to Vikings and why some dont have time for Spartacus.

One of the things that makes GOT great though is that it has all the fantasy and imagination but also realistic characters and acting in an old fashioned medieval setting. It has a bit of everything because there are just so many stories going on. The scope of the show is just huge.

Yah it'll all boil down to personal opinion and I understand the attraction to Vikings and why some dont have time for Spartacus.
    I liked Spartacus as light entertainment, the OTT slow motion nature of it was tiresome at times though.
    One of the things that makes GOT great though is that it has all the fantasy and imagination but also realistic characters and acting in an old fashioned medieval setting. It has a bit of everything because there are just so many stories going on. The scope of the show is just huge.
    It is big and impressive in every sense but there's something about following a story based on real events like vikings that adds weight to what's happening. The stories lack the possibilities of magical savours showing up at just the right time to bring about a happy ending. The heroes often die horribly and you can feel for the characters because you know what you're watching is probably a very tame version of what actually happened.

The characters often aren't hampered by modern morals either. I also have a quiet disdain for the idealization of nobles and kings. These were often horrible people that abused their power and treated the people below them as cattle. Yet TV and film often holds them up to be great people.

Didn't like this weeks episode at all they completely undermined what had, due to the endless time jumps, already been a pretty thinly sketched friendship between Ragnar and Athelston. This is a guy remember who he liked and trusted well enough to look after his kids and proved himself a useful source of knowledge about the fertile raiding grounds to the west, yet out of nowhere he is happy enough to sacrifice him.

Another thing that bothered me is that we have lost yet another stand out viking , with Erik(Vladimir Kulich) and now Leif gone Ragnar's crew is completely bereft of stand out vikings aside from his brother Rollo, why couldn't generic bearded dude number 3 been sacrificed instead. Even if they had had that old lads with the deathwish's luck/misfortune hold out for a little longer he would have at least been a face/name that you would remember as it is the rest are bland faceless cyphers.

I really hope that they drop the time jumps next season or at the very least have him bring athelston along on the raids so his characterisation doesn't happen off screen like his journey from hostage to free man did this season.
    In many ways I wished they had based the series on a fictional character then a historical as that may have freed the writers up in terms of pacing and stopped all this time jumping to hit certain plot points.

While I've enjoyed the series for the most part anyone comparing this favorably against GoT or any season of Spartacus other then the relatively poor vengeance in terms of quality is having a laugh , it has some way to go before even being in the same ballpark as them shows atm.

This is a guy remember who he liked and trusted well enough to look after his kids and proved himself a useful source of knowledge about the fertile raiding grounds to the west, yet out of nowhere he is happy enough to sacrifice him.
    You're looking at it wrong, to us sacrifice is bad but to them it would be an honor. A sacrifice to the gods would have been just as beneficial as having the priest with him during raids in Ragnars head.
    Even if they had had that old lads with the deathwish's luck/misfortune hold out for a little longer he would have at least been a face/name that you would remember as it is the rest are bland faceless cyphers.
    It's not surprising one of the best Vikings stepped forward, it would be the bravest warriors that accept death.
    I really hope that they drop the time jumps next season
    I don't see how they can, it's just the way things were back then, it took weeks and months to arrange things because you had to walk most places.

It's a dramatised version of historical events, if you want fantasy based on myths I think you'll continue to be disappointed.

This is what I like most about the show though, we get to see a simulation of what life was like in viking times, we can learn something and it's not just another action show that uses viking props.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Any news yet on a Irish release date? I have been downloading every episode and watching on computer.

Advertisement