Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Golf shoe for sore knee/back, 72+ holes a week

• 14-04-2011 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

So, I currently have tour 360s (ok for walking) and dryjoys (best golf shoe in the wet by a mile).
    I can play 72+ holes a week but by Sunday night my back is in agony and my right knee is killing me for days after.

It may be that I have bad posture on the course and maybe I can open up my right leg in my stance to avoid over twisting (any hints on this would be helpful).

My main question was relating golf shoes. Coming into summer now so I don't need a shoe can can cope with 4 hours of rain, but I do need a comfortable shoe with decent grip and easy to walk in and that gives comfort to the heel.
    I'm assuming this will help my back issues.
    With the summer and much links play I guess I'm looking for a comfy shoe.

Anyone any experience in this? I know that Ecco are the choice of Fred Couples, but is that just due to the brand or is there a particular shoe that really is that much of a help to him.

Yours in shoes,
    GSH.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

I bought my father in law the ecco streets for christmas and he swears by them.

He has a very bad ankle, its been operated on several times and has a few pins/plates in it, along with a bad back. And they're pretty much the only golf shoe he wears now, regardless of the weather. He's even been spotted wearing them off the course aswell.

Thinking of picking up a pair myself tbh.

I've alse read that the shoe's Ryan Moore wears are super aswell, tho i've no personal experience of them

http://www.truelinkswear.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Garda S Horgan

hades wrote: »
    I bought my father in law the ecco streets for christmas and he swears by them.

He has a very bad ankle, its been operated on several times and has a few pins/plates in it, along with a bad back. And they're pretty much the only golf shoe he wears now, regardless of the weather. He's even been spotted wearing them off the course aswell.

Thinking of picking up a pair myself tbh.

I've alse read that the shoe's Ryan Moore wears are super aswell, tho i've no personal experience of them

http://www.truelinkswear.com/

They look very nice. I wonder where you would get them in Ireland.
    Thanks for that.

Yours in Ecco perhaps,
    GSH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Hi Garda S H,

I am not an expert by any means, but recently(6 months ago) did some damage to my back playing rugby.......(heavy guy creamed me) anyway had to get physio for a while and mentioned to him about playing golf, cause the new season was upon us. Before he would let me play, I had to build up the strength in my back and then I had to build up 6,9,14 and finally 18 holes of golf, it is tough to do this, but if you don't look after your back, you will only create problems in the future. The shoes may help but they are not a permanent fix.

Hope this helps,

The Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭LostPassword

It may be that I have bad posture on the course and maybe I can open up my right leg in my stance to avoid over twisting (any hints on this would be helpful).

Your right leg pain is almost certainly due to your downswing action rather than your backswing - opening up your stance would not help this and may make it worse. Closing your stance might prevent your right knee from twisting as much, but I would guess that a more permanent fix would be to twist more from the hips rather than the knees.

Your right leg pain is almost certainly due to your downswing action rather than your backswing - opening up your stance would not help this and may make it worse. Closing your stance might prevent your right knee from twisting as much, but I would guess that a more permanent fix would be to twist more from the hips rather than the knees.

Sound advice. I might give that a go in the sitting room later on.
    I've checked out the Ecco Biom shoe also this afternoon, for the amount of golf I play and I always walk and never use carts I think I need a softer shoe.
    I'll have a look at closing the stance and see how that works.
    I'm playing the next 3 days now so I'll need to get it sorted.

Yours etc,
    GSH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Sound advice. I might give that a go in the sitting room later on.
    I've checked out the Ecco Biom shoe also this afternoon, for the amount of golf I play and I always walk and never use carts I think I need a softer shoe.
    I'll have a look at closing the stance and see how that works.
    I'm playing the next 3 days now so I'll need to get it sorted.

Yours etc,
    GSH.

A soft shoe will be a waste of time, my advice is to get a good pair of hitec, i find them excellentl, i have 2 pairs that I paid 110 each for. I have broke both feet 3 times, very bad back and suffer with achilles heel and they are the best shoe I have found and I have tried the lot with no expense spared.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Have bad ankle's and heels. Last summer used the Nike TW 2010 shoes and comfort was brillant. BUT, the slightest bit of moisture on the ground and you'll know bout it.
    Good luck hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

GSH,

You probably don't anyway but after speaking with a TPI instructor he mentioned the worst thing you can ever do on a golf course is carry a bag, no matter how light. Terrible for posture, putting unnecessary pressure on the wrong points and causing early fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

You need to get a gait analysis done on your feet and see can a new pair of proper fitting insoles by Noene or Footbalance help, It won't cure the problem but they may take the pressure off and the knee and help while walking.
    PM me if you need more details.

Yours in insoles
    Neck

f22 wrote: »
    GSH,

You probably don't anyway but after speaking with a TPI instructor he mentioned the worst thing you can ever do on a golf course is carry a bag, no matter how light. Terrible for posture, putting unnecessary pressure on the wrong points and causing early fatigue.

I carry during the summer or on Links courses. I have a powakaddy though so I should just use that. Thanks for that advice. CAddys on tour must be in some condition carrying those tour bags with all the gear around.
    I have a pair of adidas 360 tour limited and FJ dryjoys and the adidas are more comfortable. I got a pair of Biom last night for 175 so I'll try them out.

After some swings last night I do think I'm turning too much on my right knee as was said here already. I may need a night at the range to get that sorted.

I'll pst back up on those BIOM ecco shoes after the weekend. Knee and back permitting I'll have 54 holes in.

Yours etc,
    GSH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

How did you get on with the new shoes, My 2 yr old Adidas Powerbands just split on the sole!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

For someone who plays that much golf I would recommend you have 3 or 4 pairs of shoes and alternate

I have 5 pairs 1 new pair 2 pairs a year old, another pair 3 years old but cracked a little on on shoe,and another pair that are canvas like trainers that must be 5 years and counting....have a pair of icons ordered too:rolleyes:

I wouldn't use 2 of them in damp or wet weather but they are great for summer,also 1 pair imwould never wear in summer as they are too heavy

So if playing 3 days in a row & depending on conditions I find that a change is as good a rest for the feet and alternate shoes each day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

You get to play 72 holes a week? stop giving out!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

Got some aqualites 6 months ago. Better than slippers. Dry,light. Bad ankles and dodgy knees gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

A little off topic I know but are the €11 socks from Footjoy any good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

But when ALDI have golf socks buy them as they are first class for half nothing!

Advertisement