Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I get up 45 minutes before I need to leave the house, I spend 20 minutes hating my life and being allergic to going to work then I get ready and listen to the radio for a bit.

My housemate leaves for work at seven and gets up at half five to get ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Pembily wrote: »
    I cycle to work so hair and make-up are done at work. I also eat my breakfast at work!

Generally about 30min, but sometimes 45 min (I just faff for the extra 15 min).

Get up, wash teeth and face (I shower in the evening due to cycling), get warm water, make tea, drink water, pack bag with lunch, breakfast, tea and clothes. Check I have everything. Get dressed in my super sexy cycling gear, leave and cycle half asleep to work :o

I cycle too, but my commute is only 10-12 mins so can get away without the super sexy cycling gear and don't quite reach the sweaty threshold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I'm not a morning person at all but I started going to a fitness class 3 days a week at the ungodly hour of 7am so I'm up at 6:20 :(. On those mornings, it takes me about 10 minutes to get ready. I have my lunch and work clothes, towel etc. packed up the night before. So it's jump in the shower, throw on gym clothes, grab lunch, bag with change of clothes, laptop and out the door.

On the other work days, I get up as late as possible, any time between 8 and 9. If I have to wash my hair it takes 40 minutes to shower, dry hair, put on makeup, pick out clothes to wear. Always have breakfast at work, not at home. I'm always in a rush in the mornings because I love my bed so much, I wonder if it's possible to become a morning person?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Malari wrote: »
    I cycle too, but my commute is only 10-12 mins so can get away without the super sexy cycling gear and don't quite reach the sweaty threshold :D
    Ah I don't get really sweaty thankfully just a bit warm but I don't cycle in my work clothes, that way I feel fresher!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

From first getting out of bed to arriving in the door at work takes an hour exactly, sometimes 55 minutes if I was very efficient. I'm pretty low-maintenance as far as hair, makeup and clothes go, but I hate rushing and panicking in the mornings so things are fairly leisurely. I have flexitime in work so I don't have to get up till 9, but sometimes if I'm good I might manage to fall out of bed for 8 or 8.30. I always spend a few minutes checking email and Facebook before I get up, it sounds a bit sad but I find waking up my mind first helps my body to get out of bed more easily!

From there it's
    -Make my morning hot lemon and honey
    -Shower
    -Dry, moisturise, and get dressed while drinking hot lemon and honey
    -Out the gap.

My commute is 10 mins max so I don't know how it takes me ~50 mins to do all that, especially as I don't wash my hair in the mornings or put on make-up. But it works for me and I arrive in work feeling ready for the day, and for a nice breakfast while I investigate what horrors have arrived in my inbox overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I like t take my time in the morning. Hate waking up late and having to rush as then I feel stressed before I even start work. So I allow myself about an hour.

-Alarm goes off, press snooze, repeat once more
    -Out of bed 8:10/8:15.
    -Have to have a shower to wake me up. Moisturiser, deodorant
    -Put on kettle, hot water and lemon. If having porridge put on now on low heat.
    -Drink hot water and lemon while doing make up.
    -Downstairs for porridge. Get dressed.
    -Jewellery, brush teeth, perfume, find keys, out the door.

I have to wear make up as my skin is quite blotchy and I look about 5 without any. It makes me feel more professional too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I'm rubbish at mornings. Get up about half an hour before work but have 6 alarms going off for 40 mins before that, and i never remember hearing the first 2/3. Shower, lunch packing, clothes ironing and selection all have to be done the night before. So about 10 mins washing face, cleaning teeth, getting dressed, 5 mins makeup, 5 mins playing with and feeding the dog, 5 mins breakfast, and 5 mins just wasted somewhere along the way. I'd love to be a morning person, or even not just so inherently lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Depends on the morning... I always put my phone across the room so I have to get up to turn off the alarm, otherwise I'd be a snooze demon. Sometimes if I'm in a bad mood I'll set it to a different time 10-15 minutes later and jump back into bed.

If it's a cycling morning I usually take about twenty minutes to brush teeth/clean face and get into my cycling gear. I lay out my clothes and pack my bag the night before. I usually have a Ryvita with peanut butter or a small banana before heading off. I do my hair/makeup and get dressed into normal clothes when I get into work (I drop a bag of clothes into work on Monday mornings so I don't have to carry stuff in when I'm cycling) usually fairly quickly because I'm ravenous at that stage. I always eat breakfast at work.

If it's a gym morning I wake up, stumble around half asleep for twenty minutes until I'm more or less fully clothed and then I head to the gym. Post gym I usually have half an hour to shower and get dressed, go back to my house, dry/style hair, get dressed and put on makeup. I pack my gym bag the night before with an outfit but gym mornings are still a ridiculous rush. Sometimes I'll end up doing my makeup in work or not drying my hair fully.

If it's neither a gym nor a cycling morning I generally give myself about 45 minutes to get dressed, put on makeup and do hair. Sometimes if I'm particularly slow moving or cranky this isn't enough, most of the time it's more than enough (especially since I made myself give up hair straighteners during the week, now I just tie my hair up 90% of the time).

I'd feel odd going to work without makeup on. Like others have said it's a 'game face' thing and I'd feel weird without it. Plus it kind of wakes me up and cheers me up a bit in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭_ariadne

depends, i have an hour commute so if i'm on an early shift it usually goes, up, dress, inhale cereal, pack bag, fall out the door and run to the bus. 20 mins or so. have to put in contact lenses, brush hair and teeth at work, have a shower the night before and cloths arn't ironed, nice!

on a normal day i'm a lot better, usually 45 mins or so. get up, put in lenses, have a shower, iron cloths, eat cereal, make lunch, pack bag and walk to the bus. if I washed my hair i usually have time to dry it and run straighteners over it, if not i usually bum around the internet while i have breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

About 50 minutes to shower, dry hair, change, make up and coffee including walking the dog in the park down the road while the immersion heats :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It depends! All depends what time I am getting up if its very early or later in the morning, what I am doing that day or if there is something on or if I am rushing or taking my time.

If its to get ready quickly I be ready within 15-20 mins if just a case of get dressed and or make up and breaky and shower depending if I had shower and washed the hair the night before otherwise between 30-40 mins otherwise it take me aprox an hour.

It take me around the hour for the whole lot shower, hair, get dressed, make-up and breaky and if I snooze (might need an extra couple of mins if that happens)!? As long as I have an outfit picked out I be ready as soon as I can otherwise it delay me getting ready picking clothes out. Though the drying of the hair takes a bit of time alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

6am - get up to turn on hot water and back to bed for 15 minutes.

6.15 - Get up, boil eggs, piece of bread on to toast, squeeze oranges for orange juice, cup of herbal tea and read the news on the net.

6.25 - Gobble breakie down for 10 minutes

6.35 - Shower for 3 minutes (only enough hot water for that long)

6.40 - Get dressed, moisturise my face, stick on a bit of mascara, brush hair and teeth.

6.10 - Plan morning class

7am - Leave house.

Hate rushing in the morning even though it's an early one. I'm a morning person so it's easy peasy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

I shower at nighttime - if I left it until the morning I KNOW I would end up forfeiting the hygiene! I really really really love my bed and I really really really hate mornings! Alarm set for 7.30/7.40, I will 'snooze' until about 7.55 then up, brush teeth/wash, skulk about the room looking for something to wear & leave it on the radiator then to warm up if I can! A quick bit of make up, and then down for porridge & that takes me about 15/20 minutes to eat as I don't enjoy it some mornings. Out the door for 8.45 although could be 5/10 minutes either side of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I set my alarm for 8:10 and am usually out the door by 8:40 at the latest. I shower the night before because I love my sleep and have long hair, so showering in the morning adds 20 to 30 minutes because I'd have to blow dry my hair.

So usually, I wake up, brush my teeth, wash my face, do my make up. By 8:25 I'm ready to choose my outfit. Then I do my hair, and off I go! Sometimes I check my email and various social networking sites before I leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

35 minutes. Up at 0730, shower, dress, feed dogs, make tea, dry hair, leave. I don't bother with makeup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Option A - If i have work early the alarm goes off at 6.35 and I am out the door by 6.40, enough time to drive in the city center and get a thirty minute walk in before work.

Option B - when I have work at 9am. Alarm goes off a 7.55, I get my son(5) up and shepard him downstairs and give him his brekkie, I run up the stairs and get washed and dressed, back down by 8.15 to give said son a quick wash and get him dressed and out the door by 8.25, drive into town get the car parked up, dropped the small fella off at 8.55 and run down the hill to work.

Any clothes etc are left out the night before, my son gets his lunch at school so no lunch box to prep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I've to leave the flat at 07:15 tomorrow morning so tomorrow it'll likely be ten minutes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

I was going to give myself an hour this morning so I'd have enough time to faff around and have a nice breakfast but had a terrible night sleep and woke up with aches and pains and a sore throat!!

I reset my alarm to only give me half an hour to get ready and ended up running around like a headless chicken. I don't know where the time goes! I had no breakfast and had to do my make up in work! Stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I notice everyone talking about drying hair after shower. Would you not use a shower cap to keep the hair dry and save all that time?

For me it's about 45min 'cos I don't rush. Bathroom, porridge, make lunch, on with sexy bike gear and out the door.

Mind you then there's changing out of the sexy bike gear and shower at work to account for...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Generally half an hour or so maximum, including breakfast.
    I work with the public so almost always wear make-up. I generally do foundation at home and throw on some eye-liner/mascara when I get to work, if I can be arsed. :o

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I notice everyone talking about drying hair after shower. Would you not use a shower cap to keep the hair dry and save all that time?
    Takes me almost an hour to get my hair totally blow-dried after washing it. I could never do all that in the morning, I needs all the sleep I can get at that time of the day!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Some people like to wash their hair every morning as otherwise it can get greasy:).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ Yeah mine get really greasy if I don't. And because of the colour of it the greasiness shows more than usual! Only takes about 5-10 minutes to dry anyway..

Lia_lia wrote: »
    ^ Yeah mine get really greasy if I don't. And because of the colour of it the greasiness shows more than usual! Only takes about 5-10 minutes to dry anyway..
    Mine takes about 5 days before it gets greasy! I'm lucky, because an hour of hair-drying a day would really be more time than I am prepared to spend on my hair! (sorry hair!) :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i need to wash mine every second day
    on the days i dont, i dont bother with the cap, i just let my head avoid the water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I usually shower the night before, unless I have college late.

Without a shower, it takes me about five to ten minutes to get up and dressed and a bit of make up, although I've recently not been too bothered with make up, so even less time! I'll sometimes have a breakfast.

I usually have college later on in the day, so have plenty time to sit around and do nothing in between everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Some people like to wash their hair every morning as otherwise it can get greasy:).

I'm told everyday washing promotes greasiness. Mine gets shampooed twice per week and just rinsed in between. Used to be much greasier than it is now...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm told everyday washing promotes greasiness. Mine gets shampooed twice per week and just rinsed in between. Used to be much greasier than it is now...

I tried that for a while. I really persevered with it, and no, my hair needs washing every day :o. Plus, it really doesn't add that much to my routine. Maybe 2-3 mins shampooing and conditioning in the shower and 2 mins to dry. The only advantage of having fine hair :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

I'm so jealous of the people who don't wear make up!! Sometimes I'm not bothered with it but then I look so awful. My skins just looks terrible and I feel strange and self conscious. Especially in work when I'm dealing with members of the public!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm so jealous of the people who don't wear make up!! Sometimes I'm not bothered with it but then I look so awful. My skins just looks terrible and I feel strange and self conscious. Especially in work when I'm dealing with members of the public!

I used to wear it, and it takes a while of blotchiness and whatever before your skin adjusts again. Once it has, you'll look just fine without it.

Advertisement