Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Institute of Education

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

daffy-duck wrote: »
    i go to mount anville and to be honest the teachers there are a bit ****. but every year mount anville gets brilliant results because we can afford to go to the institute and get any grinds we desire. so i think its a bit unfair of you's who dont go or cant afford private schools to be giving out about them because who wouldnt want to go to an elite south dublin fee paying school?? its not like by just going to the grinds that you get brilliant results its if you work hard and use them. so all of you public school paupers go away and leave the institute and private schools alone:P

I hope this is a joke, and not the opinion of mount anything, sorry anville,student:pac:

daffy-duck wrote: »
    i go to mount anville and to be honest the teachers there are a bit ****. but every year mount anville gets brilliant results because we can afford to go to the institute and get any grinds we desire. so i think its a bit unfair of you's who dont go or cant afford private schools to be giving out about them because who wouldnt want to go to an elite south dublin fee paying school?? its not like by just going to the grinds that you get brilliant results its if you work hard and use them. so all of you public school paupers go away and leave the institute and private schools alone:P

That's exactly the attitude that put me off going to the majority of fee-paying schools.

I'm repeating my leaving cert now, and had the oppertunity of repeating it in Yeats in Galway, but instead returned to my old public school. I've passed by said grind school too many times, and seen too many girls with luminous peroxide hair and faces that would make Umpa Lumpas look pale; and the only words in their vocabularies seem to be "loyke" and "omg". Then all the guys with their rugby jerseys and obsessions with the afore mentioned peroxide Umpa-lumpian girls. The thoughts of it make me feel nauseated!

Oh and sorry for the broad stereotypicalizations. But that's just my impression of many (not all) of the pretentious, ostentatious and obnoxious fools who attend most grind schools.

Rant over! (Sorry if this had little to do with the Topic on hand, but I couldn't resist!)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

daffy-duck, I feel a bit sorry for you.

It's all well and good being in your "elite south dublin fee paying school" right now, in a small bubble (and incidentally I'm not sure which part you class as most important or praiseworthy - the postcode, the fees, or the exclusivity) but unfortunately for you once you leave that bubble you'll quickly realise that most other people out there hate your sort of elitist mentality.

College might be a lonely experience for you, my dear, if you pride yourself so very much on where you happened to be sent to seconday school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Not if she goes to UCD >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

nycman wrote: »
    €13,000:eek::eek: for 2 years:eek::eek::eek:

Hows that for the "Rip-Off_Republic.

Jeezum Crow:eek:
    leesmom wrote: »
    could have got me some nice clothes with that money:Dthe money would have been more useful in that way

You could spend the money on a really good grind for the year. You'd get the results and the clothes!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »
    Not if she goes to UCD >_>

Here now, TCD too, and dont forget the private colleges :D

Fad wrote: »
    Here now, TCD too, and dont forget the private colleges :D

Oh dear god don't tell me many her sort go to TCD? I thought it was only UCD that was burdened with the peroxide umpa-lumpians as I like to call them!

Oh dear god don't tell me many her sort go to TCD? I thought it was only UCD that was burdened with the peroxide umpa-lumpians as I like to call them!

I was joking to an extent, but you'll only really encounter those if you do ORTs and even then its only the really useless subjects they do, like Canadian Studies (I dont think this even exists any more :D) and Philosophy.

You'll get G4s in NUIG and C4s in UCCs so dont think thid breed is still exclusive to dublin.

Fad wrote: »
    I was joking to an extent, but you'll only really encounter those if you do ORTs and even then its only the really useless subjects they do, like Canadian Studies (I dont think this even exists any more :D) and Philosophy.

You'll get G4s in NUIG and C4s in UCCs so dont think thid breed is still exclusive to dublin.

Ah well that's ok then, you scared me slightly there! I hopefully won't have to spend any time in their presence so.

Oh yah I know sure, I've met many a G4, as I'm from Galway myself (not the city but close). It's amazing how they can pick up similar accents to D4's without ever spending time around them. It's funny, there was a guy in my school before who watched so many American sitcoms that he developed a FULL new port beach type accent (and it wasn't faked), and I mean it was identical to the real thing, everyone thought he was American.

Ok better stop there, getting a bit off point here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

€13,000 for two years? I'm pretty sure you could bribe someone from the CAO to let you into your damn course for €13,000! What a waste of money!

• Advertisement

Ah well that's ok then, you scared me slightly there! I hopefully won't have to spend any time in their presence so.

Oh yah I know sure, I've met many a G4, as I'm from Galway myself (not the city but close). It's amazing how they can pick up similar accents to D4's without ever spending time around them. It's funny, there was a guy in my school before who watched so many American sitcoms that he developed a FULL new port beach type accent (and it wasn't faked), and I mean it was identical to the real thing, everyone thought he was American.

Ok better stop there, getting a bit off point here!

To be honest this thread has little to do with the IOE anymore :D

It's a fee paying school.
    It's expensive.
    It gets results IF you work for them.
    Good working enviornment, but not a school enviornment.

Et cetera.......

Lockage before some else goes on about the cost? *

*(on the mention of cost, you dont have to buy uniform, books and other things that do add up a bit, dont bother replying to this PLEASE)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

You can get "D4 types" in non-arts subjects. Okay, there don't seem to be any in my course (Theoretical Physics), but I've seen some fairly orange girls in Engineering, so there's not really anywhere to hide (from rampant generalisations and judging strangers... and D4s).

EDIT: Well, talking about the cost is technically on topic. If anyone has anything new to contribute on the topic it could be worthwhile to leave it open. It is a bit of a subject of debate, even if it is one that's sort of been flogged to death...

You can get "D4 types" in non-arts subjects. Okay, there don't seem to be any in my course (Theoretical Physics), but I've seen some fairly orange girls in Engineering, so there's not really anywhere to hide (from rampant generalisations and judging strangers... and D4s).

Well if theres nowhere to hide where all screwed! Thats funny, Theoretical Physics is what I'm planning on doing there next year, doubt there'd be too many in that course I hope!

EDIT: Well, talking about the cost is technically on topic. If anyone has anything new to contribute on the topic it could be worthwhile to leave it open. It is a bit of a subject of debate, even if it is one that's sort of been flogged to death...

In fairness some of the nicest people ive ever met at serious D4 types (not however in my school, sadly) so im not whinging about them, more commenting on their widespeadness.

Last 2/3 threads (if you include this one) have just been sweeping generalisations about private schools in general :) and people saying its way to expensive........why did i say anything

What on the internet is not sweeping generalisations? : p (I might add that there have been a similarly high number of generalisations about non-private schools, so at least it's been... if not fair, then equal.)

This thread had quietened down and was drifting down into the dusty recesses of the board, but then it was dragged up again, so I might just step gingerly away here and see if it starts drifting down again. If people want to continue discussing the merits/disadvantages of the Institute, feel free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seanasdf

I'm starting 5th form in the Institute after Christmas if I get accepted.I heard it was good once you put the work in.To be honest if you put the work in, no matter where you go to school [maybe with a few exceptions lik my skool :D] you will get the points you need for college.
    I'm in 6th year atm but going back into 5th because I didn't really work last year but I'm so much more mature now and dedicated to my studies so its defo not going to be a waste of my parents money sending me to the Institute :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

No!
    You'll end up like those guys from J1 Summer:eek::eek::eek:

Galoots:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seanasdf

Haha I know the guy Luke from J1 summer, He is Gay in real life by the way lol j/k

Please do not restart the debate, this thread was kindly allowed to die, its back but lets not keep it this way!

Wildly unrelated post there seanasdf, well done. I heard your one from down the street's straight, but don't tell anyone right? Yeah.

If anyone has anything new to add to this particular debate I'm open to hearing it, otherwise I think most people are sick of this topic, so please can we let it die a natural death or it'll have to be put down forcefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i was in their year in 5th and 6th in the tute and i have to say no one annoyed me more than them,bunch of idiots!!!! however not evryone in there is like that:rolleyes:

leesmom wrote: »
    i was in their year in 5th and 6th in the tute and i have to say no one annoyed me more than them,bunch of idiots!!!! however not evryone in there is like that:rolleyes:

FFS, let this thread die!

Advertisement