Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noirín O'Sullivan appointment Garda Commissioner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,793 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That should read 'appointed'

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Irish Times report that the Government have appointment Acting Commissioner Noirín O'Sullivan to the role on a permanent basis.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/noirin-o-sullivan-appointed-as-garda-commissioner-1.2014448

Well if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hang on a minute...........

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Well if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hang on a minute...........

I take your point, but she has been impressive so far. It would take too long for a foreign appointment to begin to grapple with the endemic problems in AGS, so she can be an insider and still a good force for change.

Good luck to her, she shall probably need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I take your point, but she has been impressive so far. It would take too long for a foreign appointment to begin to grapple with the endemic problems in AGS, so she can be an insider and still a good force for change.

How has she been impressive so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Only 4 people applied for the job, 2 internal and 2 external. She was found to be the most suitable. I didn't see the job advertisement myself or I would have gone for it too. I can't see much change happening that won't be bad for the job at the current rate with current thinking. I was talking to someone involved in the design of the new uniform. The new trousers will be combats. But they won't be called combats, because that sounds too aggressive. And they won't have pockets on the lower leg, because that looks too militaristic. When you are dealing with that kind of ridiculous thinking, you can see why the job will always be stuck behind the times.

• Advertisement

I take your point, but she has been impressive so far.

Oh evidence please.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Okay maybe I am wrong, but I was of the assumption that An Garda Síochána wanted a progressive future and not more of the same :confused:

I notice that Commissioner O Sullivan did attend a meeting with the GRA subsequent to the more-recent damning report on the organisation; perhaps a slick move on her behalf.

Best Wishes to An Garda Síochána & everyone involved,
    Might just be needed now,
    More of the Same guys, ah c'mon!
    Progessive Future howarya,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Massive opportunity missed here. More of the same lads, this is really going to boost the public perception of AGS

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

Only 4 people applied for the job, 2 internal and 2 external. She was found to be the most suitable. I didn't see the job advertisement myself or I would have gone for it too. I can't see much change happening that won't be bad for the job at the current rate with current thinking. I was talking to someone involved in the design of the new uniform. The new trousers will be combats. But they won't be called combats, because that sounds too aggressive. And they won't have pockets on the lower leg, because that looks too militaristic. When you are dealing with that kind of ridiculous thinking, you can see why the job will always be stuck behind the times.

What's this about a new uniform?

foreign wrote: »
    Oh evidence please.

Both her own media appearances and reports of her engagement from people within and outside AGS, including Maurice McCabe and the Garda associations, indicate she is available, involved, transparent, participative, discerning, diligent, hugely experienced and a smart cookie.

I know several Gardaí who hold her in very high regard, which I also know some people would consider a bad thing, however the fact Mick Wallace is "gutted" by her appointment gives me considerable grounds for hope.

• Advertisement

Both her own media appearances and reports of her engagement from people within and outside AGS, including Maurice McCabe and the Garda associations, indicate she is available, involved, transparent, participative, discerning, diligent, hugely experienced and a smart cookie.

I know several Gardaí who hold her in very high regard, which I also know some people would consider a bad thing, however the fact Mick Wallace is "gutted" by her appointment gives me considerable grounds for hope.

What has changed in the job? The cynic would say that would be exactly how to go about getting the job. Let's see what she does with the inspectorates report.

0325422 wrote: »
    What's this about a new uniform?

18 months away. Any nothing to say it will change.

What has changed in the job? The cynic would say that would be exactly how to go about getting the job. Let's see what she does with the inspectorates report.

The cynic in me knows what will happen. More paperwork and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

18 months away. Any nothing to say it will change.

Didn't even hear a rumour about a new uniform..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

So, does anyone else think that she is really just a PR women (dressed as a Garda Commissioner)?

She seems like that kind of lass who spent years in a public relations firm rather than at the coal face of Irish crime.

jetsonx wrote: »
    So, does anyone else think that she is really just a PR women (dressed as a Garda Commissioner)?

She seems like that kind of lass who spent years in a public relations firm rather than at the coal face of Irish crime.

Eh no, she's been on the front line. Mostly drugs units. Like the ones in Love/Hate really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Things in this country never change.

This position along with senior public service jobs should be open to public scrutiny.
    These jobs are filled too quietly for my liking.

Of course she's going to appear to be so much more on the ball than her predecsessors, prehaps she has a clever person advising her, but too be honest, how much more difficult is it to be a little bit visibly better?

Trouble is they are all from the same stable, and the guys in charge haven't changed so back to the old game really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Was anyone foolish enough to think it would go outside an Irish Candidate? Seriously?

The Gardai are our state security service – unlike other forces such as the PSNI and Police in the UK who have M15 to do this, the US which have the FBI, France who have the DSG etc etc. The only realistic non Gardai Police candidates would be UK police as we have similar investigation and justice systems. Does anyone honestly think we could ever have appointed someone who swore an oath of loyalty to the Queen of England (or insert other head of state here) could be the person responsible for State Security? Really? (Unless of course you weren’t keen on the idea of state security in the first place).

The only alternative is to decouple state security from the Gardai. As ever the next failure of the Irish Commentariat is to think that you couldn’t make things worse. You could – a small (in the Irish context it would be very small) state security agency would be both ineffective and potentially more dangerous then leaving it in the Gardai whose scale will offer some brake to the sorts of activities state security agencies get into. (Unless of course you weren’t keen on the idea of state security in the first place)

Finally I know this is the country of gross hyperbole where EVERYTHING in this country is a quadrillion times worse then (insert failed state here) but, you know, the scandals we’ve had in the Gardai pale into insignificance against pretty much any other western police force let alone the rest of the world. Whether it’s Paedophile rings run by the Belgian police (to a senior level), Irish People sent down for decades by the British Cops for the crime of being Irish, US cops shooting kids dead in the street, an ACTUAL rape in Paris special branch HQ etc etc etc the Gardai are probably the least worst in the western world by a distance. Penalty points, Bailey and even McBrearty and Donegal pale compared to this. Name a police force with proportionately less scandal! I’d be really interested. I’m not suggesting change is not needed but there is as usual in this country a complete absence of any perspective.

The Gardai’s formative period was during the troubles – that has led to the culture we have now with a some of the dysfunctional behaviours you get in any 11k employee organisation . It will take some time to change that culture (not just at the top) but I’ve more confidence in the new commissioner doing this then any of tax dodging, penalty points evading, semtex transporting TD’s deliberately undermining the Gardai for their own agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

She took the interim job, and told everybody the Guards had enough resources to police the State. A few months later the Inspectorate report comes out, stating AGS is vastly under resourced. Sounded like the typical political pandering we're all fed up with.

Commissioner rank would always meet with staff associations, nothing new here.

What has she done since last March? Granted it hasn't been a long time, but still. She sent out a questionnaire? Some might say if she had her finger on the pulse, she wouldn't need to send out a questionnaire! And what is the outcome of this questionnaire? Any results published?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

0325422 wrote: »
    Didn't even hear a rumour about a new uniform..

There's a committee set up amongst the staff associations, they have finalised a proposed uniform, which is still subject to Commissioner approval and finance, so it's a few years away, at best. If ever......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

infacteh wrote: »
    There's a committee set up amongst the staff associations, they have finalised a proposed uniform, which is still subject to Commissioner approval and finance, so it's a few years away, at best. If ever......

All change, new uniforms and vehicles :rolleyes: http://thepolicedaily.com/images/2006-Hummer-H2-by-GeigerCars_de-700hp-Police-Car-A-640.jpg

or more cutbacks all round :P http://thepolicedaily.com/images/tricycle.jpg

or maybe she'll have to dig herself out http://thepolicedaily.com/images/someone_call_tripple_a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cpt Sh!t Craic

infacteh wrote:
    She took the interim job, and told everybody the Guards had enough resources to police the State. A few months later the Inspectorate report comes out, stating AGS is vastly under resourced. Sounded like the typical political pandering we're all fed up with.

Exactly. It sounds like political pandering because it is.

If I'm not mistaken all appointments above the rank of Chief Superintendent are political appointments made by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform. Therefore, it can be said that any high ranking Garda has been influenced by the politicians and is affectively in their pockets, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten that lucrative promotion in the first place.

So, what actually needs to happen in order to achieve proper reform of the organisation? Simple-ish, The politicians need to be removed completely from the promotion procedure.

Noirin O Sullivan will give the impression of reform because that's what she has been told to do, she will make some progress but only as much as they decide. Ultimately, nothing significant will be done and the oligarchy will continue to fool the proletariat with small gestures of progress and empty promises.

She'll never bite the hand that feeds her...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

There won't be any radical change because radical change would cost money and the government for all their talk about change won't give it to the force. All that money saved by forcing out highly paid senior or long serving Gardai won't be wasted by spending it on new IT etc.

Glad to hear there are new uniforms on the way - the existing uniforms are just dire.

infacteh wrote: »

They haven't. They are still looking at them. 18 months to go on current contract I believe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I didn't see the job advertisement myself or I would have gone for it too.

In fairness it was advertised on the Public Jobs website like any other civil service position. I think it was also advertised in print media?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

In fairness it was advertised on the Public Jobs website like any other civil service position. I think it was also advertised in print media?

most people are finding it difficult to join the rank and file never mind the commissioner job..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

They haven't. They are still looking at them. 18 months to go on current contract I believe.

Here's the first part of the new uniform - 'Garda' gloves ;)

http://www.dainese.com/fr_en/garda-d-dry.html

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

The rash of opinions by anonymous nobodys who know exactly what needs to be done is bewildering. But there is no way to defeat that situation. Still the Selection Board have spared us the sight of Commissioner Mick Wright taking a Guard of Honour in a Teampall Mór inspection complete with 3 weeks stubble and his grubby pink Tshirt as a backdrop to the 'blue'.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    The rash of opinions by anonymous nobodys who know exactly what needs to be done is bewildering. But there is no way to defeat that situation. Still the Selection Board have spared us the sight of Commissioner Mick Wright taking a Guard of Honour in a Teampall Mór inspection complete with 3 weeks stubble and his grubby pink Tshirt as a backdrop to the 'blue'.

Mick Wright?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

shampon wrote: »
    Mick Wright?

Surely he means Mick "paying taxes is only for the little people and those gob****es still elect me"

Advertisement