Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lobster Pots and legality.

• 25-11-2010 11:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41

Hi All,

My father-in-law recently got himself a little boat to do some sea angling from.

I was thinking of buying him a lobster pot and a prawn pot for Christmas but I have no clue as to whether it is legal?? Does he require a licence to catch these?

I'm not an angler or into angling in any way so please, if this is common knowledge, don't berate me!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

This thread has some more info,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056064388

I thought I remember seeing somewhere once its less than 4 pots its not considered commerical. There is laws for lobster you can keep, certain size and male's only I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

I asked the fisheries protection people before because i do it myself. They don't have a problem with someone putting out the odd one or two for themselves. Its the big boys they're after.

They did say to measure them and release all females though and not to keep any with a V cut into their tails. Its not that it would have a major impact on the population with only one pot, its just the decent thing to do.

As for the prawns, he can fish away to his hearts content on them as far as i know.

P.S. If its a christmas present my pops got himself a shrimp pot last summer and knocked a load of craic out of it. If I had of known I'd have gotten him one for christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Haldane

Donegal company now making shrimp pots force10mpl.com

http://www.force10mpl.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 PaulyB63

Thanks for the replies....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Lobster pots are for sale in the chandlers on Howth's West Pier for around €45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

New rules came into force:

-Maximum catch 1 lobster per boat per day.
    -Season closed 7 months per year.
    -Forbidden from storing or transferring them from one boat to another.

Support of the Naval Service, Air Corps and Inland Fisheries Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Dylan123 wrote: »
    New rules came into force:

-Maximum catch 1 lobster per day.
    -Maximum 4 pots per boat.
    -Season closed 7 months per year.

Support of the Naval Service, Air Corps and Inland Fisheries Ireland.

I think it will protect commercial fishermen from unlicensed operators "old school" distributing to local restaurants. However if you have 4 pots and haul 6 lobsters you are legally obliged to throw the other 5 away.

This applies to fishing vessels. If my boat is a water ski boat i wonder if this rule applies?

http://www.sfpa.ie/News/TabId/167/ArtMID/538/ArticleID/32/New-laws-for-lobster-and-crab-fishing-.aspx

This would be news to IFI staff. IFI have no remit for commercial fishing at sea, except for salmon, bass and oysters. Staff don't have a warrant to allow them to enforce any legislation re lobsters. This one is on the SFPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭nokiatom

they are strict on the size of lobster. (you can buy a special measure). don't land a lobster with a V on its tail and don't land a female with eggs underneath her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

Dylan123 wrote: »
    A person is also not allowed to store or tranship lobsters either.

So what i can not understand is why the law allows for 6 pots.
    What a tease. You catch 8 lobsters and you break the law if you keep more than one..
    Same as bass really. You can catch as many as you can, but just keep 1

Advertisement