Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outlook wants my mobile number

Options
  • 17-04-2014 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

For the last few days when I sign into Outlook I've been getting a pop up asking for a mobile number to send a security code to. It's supposedly a back up incase my password no longer works and I need a back up method of contact. I've 3 days left of being able to skip this. When I registered I'm pretty sure I linked a relatives email for password recovery purposes so why the need? Is there any way of getting around this as I really don't like the idea of tying my mobile number to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

We greatly appreciate your time and effort for bringing this matter to our attention.

We would like to inform all of you that we can use your account security information (such as phone number, alternate email address) to verify your identity if there's ever a problem in the future.

For this reason, it's important that you use a real phone number and email address for your alternate contact info. We'll never use this info to spam you or for any marketing purposes - it's only to verify your identity if there's ever a problem with your account.

For future reference, please create a support case using our secure online form thru this link that will allow us to work with you in a secured environment. Please note that you’ll need to be signed in with a Microsoft account to access the form.

Note: I will be locking this thread. For other users who are experiencing the same issue, do not hesitate to create a support case thru the link provided above.

If there's anything else that I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us again and we will further assist you. We'd love to hear from you again.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/osecurity-osafe/outlook-demanding-my-phone-number-how-do-i/95511277-0a17-46a0-9b17-f8470

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

guttenberg wrote: »
    For the last few days when I sign into Outlook I've been getting a pop up asking for a mobile number to send a security code to. It's supposedly a back up incase my password no longer works and I need a back up method of contact. I've 3 days left of being able to skip this. When I registered I'm pretty sure I linked a relatives email for password recovery purposes so why the need? Is there any way of getting around this as I really don't like the idea of tying my mobile number to it?

I suggest using an email client app, such as Mozilla Thunderbird. It'll collect and send all your emails, but there's no way that Microsoft can have the program demand your mobile number.
    Source: I've got an outlook email account in Thunderbird, been using it for a few months, and have not seen this "Give us your phone number" type message at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭numbernine

Hi,

I have been getting a message when I try to sign into my email, the heading is 'call us overprotective' and asks me to get a code sent to my backup email.. I have tried this and no code is being sent. There's a 'I can't verify my account' option but when I click it, it says there's an error.... anybody any ideas what to do?? I cant get into my emails now..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

numbernine wrote: »
    Hi,

I have been getting a message when I try to sign into my email, the heading is 'call us overprotective' and asks me to get a code sent to my backup email.. I have tried this and no code is being sent. There's a 'I can't verify my account' option but when I click it, it says there's an error.... anybody any ideas what to do?? I cant get into my emails now..

Did you check the spam folder for your backup email? Did you provide a text number as another alternative verification method? Can you get the text?
    Most providers do this type of validation nowadays incase you loose access to your account/it gets hacked.

Nick

Advertisement