Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where is the annual Good Friday thread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Besides the fact that I have a match the following day, I won't be partaking in the by now annual Good Friday house-party fad because if I want to drink at home I do so out of my own volition, not because some out-dated religious law dictates that pubs remain closed for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

catallus wrote: »
    Maybe you're the one who should grow up if you insist on calling religious faith "believing in an invisible man"

Well have you seen him lately ?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Anyone have any idea if any clubs or venues are opening after midnight on Holy Thursday? Whelan's are still advertising Zebra, but like me they mightn't have copped that it's Holy Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭C14N

Subutai wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea if any clubs or venues are opening after midnight on Holy Thursday? Whelan's are still advertising Zebra, but like me they mightn't have copped that it's Holy Thursday.

Well they can stay open right? They'll just have a midnight last call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Ah good friday my annual trip to the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

C14N wrote: »
    And they need it from a bar, not their own fridge!

This is about the only quirky law I can think of that we have that's essentially harmless. I like it for that alone.
    its not harmless, its harmful, its stopping a particular industry from trading causing them to lose money, stopping them from trading and making money while other industries can is a form of discrimination

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

its not harmless, its harmful, its stopping a particular industry from trading causing them to lose money, stopping them from trading and making money while other industries can is a form of discrimination

This is nonsense: are you against opening hours being restricted too? Or age restrictions on the selling of alcohol?

Whoa there Miss Rand, it's only for a day and for a tiny proportion of the consumer base for the drinks companies. And if this was really harming the pubs you can guarantee they would organise to have it overturned. As it is it's basically an old law left on the books because changing it is more effort than it's worth. It's not exactly case the Vatican really care that much about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Maybe you're the one who should grow up if you insist on calling religious faith "believing in an invisible man"

Seems reasonable. Jesus is supposedly always with us yet you can't see him. What does that make him?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

This is nonsense: are you against opening hours being restricted too? Or age restrictions on the selling of alcohol?

As a bartender, I must say, I'm against restrictions on opening hours AND on the Consumption of alcohol. I don't want a bunch of kids in the pub, but if parents want to let a child have a drink or two with dinner in a bar/restaurant they should be allowed.

Why should pubs HAVE to close ever? I finish work at either 1230 or 230. I'd love to have a bar I could go to for a quick few at that time before bed. And while I can go to Late bars on weekdays, on weekends there's nowhere I can legally go and that sucks balls. I can always find a place to serve me, but I'd like it to be nice and legal.

• Advertisement

As a bartender, I must say, I'm against restrictions on opening hours AND on the Consumption of alcohol. I don't want a bunch of kids in the pub, but if parents want to let a child have a drink or two with dinner in a bar/restaurant they should be allowed.

I'm assuming that at least has something to do with possibly negligent parents letting their kids have too much booze.

yes i'm against opening and closing hours, let the pubs open and close whenever they want

C14N wrote: »
    Whoa there Miss Rand, it's only for a day and for a tiny proportion of the consumer base for the drinks companies. And if this was really harming the pubs you can guarantee they would organise to have it overturned. As it is it's basically an old law left on the books because changing it is more effort than it's worth. It's not exactly case the Vatican really care that much about.
    its a day where an industry can't ply its trade for no reason while others can, some publicans and restaurant owners are and have been trying to get it overturned, infact it doesn't have to be overturned, all that needs to happen is the relevant minister to tell the guards to turn a blind eye, the law doesn't have to be overturned, just not enforced, its probably whats happening all ready anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

the law doesn't have to be overturned, just not enforced, its probably whats happening all ready anyway.
    I agree that a blind eye should be turned to this silly nanny state law but I also think it should be overturned. What about tourism in Ireland on that day? It's sure to suffer. It's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Jamsiek wrote: »
    It's embarrassing.

I do wonder how it all looks to a tourist that comes here for the Easter holidays. How would they explain it to somebody who might consider coming here without it sounding like nanny state telling us what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

This country goes barmy for the drink. Quite sickening. Can ye not survive one day dry?

There were actually 3 days when pubs remained shut. Ash Wed, Good Friday and St. Patrick's Day. The Government overturned the St. Patrick's day closure to attract tourists into the country. (And look at that success story)

Though, if all the whingers went to the pub every other weekend, maybe there would be less pubs closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ah good friday my annual trip to the cinema.

Do the cinemas in Ireland have an exemption to serve beer on good Friday like the train stations have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If Good Friday didn't exist, Irish people would invent it.

It's a single day that requires Armageddon-level stockpiling of alcohol on Holy Thursday and allows students and hand-wringers to whine for hours about the nanny/religious state while paradoxically still enjoying a holiday and the most depraved, alcoholic house parties of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Why no "Do you wear an Easter Lily" thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

There were actually 3 days when pubs remained shut. Ash Wed, Good Friday and St. Patrick's Day. The Government overturned the St. Patrick's day closure to attract tourists into the country. (And look at that success story)

Though, if all the whingers went to the pub every other weekend, maybe there would be less pubs closing.

That's the point. It's the same mouth breathers complaining about the price of drink in pubs who are now giving out about not being able to visit these places. They are drunk on outrage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

its a day where an industry can't ply its trade for no reason while others can, some publicans and restaurant owners are and have been trying to get it overturned, infact it doesn't have to be overturned, all that needs to happen is the relevant minister to tell the guards to turn a blind eye, the law doesn't have to be overturned, just not enforced, its probably whats happening all ready anyway.

"all that needs to happen is the relevant minister to tell the guards to turn a blind eye, the law doesn't have to be overturned"

Will the dirtbird of a politician put that in writing? That's all we need. More political interference in the justice system.
    If you want the law changed go out and start a campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

whoop whoop day off work but

:) do the beer run tomara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Drink. Day and age. Backward. If you want. Can't you just. Alchohol. Country has a major. Bar staff. I always. GAA. Train. Government. Stag trip. Religion. I always. Cans. Hopeless.

Did I leave anything out? Have we finished the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Did I leave anything out? Have we finished the thread?

John Charles McQuaid. Nazis.

Now it's finished - I've Godwinned it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

anncoates wrote: »

It's a single day that requires Armageddon-level stockpiling of alcohol on Holy Thursday and allows students and hand-wringers to whine for hours about the nanny/religious state while paradoxically still enjoying a holiday and the most depraved, alcoholic house parties of the year.
    Watch it now, you'll have people crying to you about how it's actually a pagan holiday. ;) Or is that christmas I'm thinking of? Or both? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Never knew pubs close on Ash Wednesday :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

anncoates wrote: »

I dont get a holiday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

YFlyer wrote: »
    Never knew pubs close on Ash Wednesday :confused:

They don't, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think, in all interests of fairness, that churches should be banned from opening on a random Sunday in June.

• Advertisement

Jamsiek wrote: »
    I agree that a blind eye should be turned to this silly nanny state law but I also think it should be overturned. What about tourism in Ireland on that day? It's sure to suffer. It's embarrassing.
    i agree, i'm just responding to those who make out it would be a huge deal a lot of hassle and be hard to overturn by suggesting it just not be enforced, then when the TDS get time remove it altogether

Advertisement