Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Haka World Record Attempt today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 seamusfamous

I shall pop in for a look could be fun :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I shall pop in for a look could be fun :D

Should be! Dancing and radio stations to be ther

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 limklass

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Should be! Dancing and radio stations to be ther
    I am very sorry to say that despite the efforts of a great many people, this event was a flop. I was there at 3.30 pm and there was only a handful of people there. This is no disrespect to the organisers but the support was not forthcoming from Limerick. By the time we were finally released at 5.15 pm in cold wet weather unfortunately I never want to hear about the Haka again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

limklass wrote: »
    I am very sorry to say that despite the efforts of a great many people, this event was a flop. I was there at 3.30 pm and there was only a handful of people there. This is no disrespect to the organisers but the support was not forthcoming from Limerick. By the time we were finally released at 5.15 pm in cold wet weather unfortunately I never want to hear about the Haka again.

Hi there,

Over 1400 people attended and unfortunately never got to the Irish record. The lit students that organized it put a lot of work into it. The reason it was delayed until 5:15 was due to a bigger crowd and better chance of a record. Due to the weather, match on etc it was not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My 2 cent. I only heard about this when I read this thread. If only more people knew......

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Berty wrote: »
    My 2 cent. I only heard about this when I read this thread. If only more people knew......

and that right there is the reason stuff like this never works in Limerick, nobody knows about it until its too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 blueivu

krudler wrote: »
    and that right there is the reason stuff like this never works in Limerick, nobody knows about it until its too late

How much more notice do people need? There have been posters all over the city, schools were visited, newspaper advertisements made, radio interviews, facebook pages and promotions.
    The reasons things like this don't work in Limerick is because Limerick people can't be bothered unless it helps them in some way. I was a randomer in the crowd and there was an amount of people in the cathedral grounds or outside the locke bar, who would watch the entertainment but couldn't be bothered helping out even when practically begged for a few minutes of their lives.
    There will always be an excuse why people didn't come out, but it was just couldn't be botheredness which is rife in this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Was that you with the 100-400 in the graveyard? :P

Was that you with the 100-400 in the graveyard? :P

It was, went there to get a good few for a few snaps, but they shamed me into coming down and joining in.

• Advertisement

Good! :D I was in a few of your pics :P Like: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_29VvenHg5OA/TZdZwXOMbRI/AAAAAAAAB44/3Gt6lsSAzyk/s912/DSCF0335.JPG in the middle with the camera taking names :P If I'd stayed at the top I'd have been in too many for my liking, but it seems CCSL loves your pics as he's in most of them (and looking at the camera in some)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

blueivu wrote: »
    How much more notice do people need? There have been posters all over the city, schools were visited, newspaper advertisements made, radio interviews, facebook pages and promotions.
    The reasons things like this don't work in Limerick is because Limerick people can't be bothered unless it helps them in some way. I was a randomer in the crowd and there was an amount of people in the cathedral grounds or outside the locke bar, who would watch the entertainment but couldn't be bothered helping out even when practically begged for a few minutes of their lives.
    There will always be an excuse why people didn't come out, but it was just couldn't be botheredness which is rife in this city.

Or maybe a lot of people were already at the Young Munster-Garryowen games when the gates opened for the Haka.

Maybe a lot of people were watching the live soccer that was on tv that overlapped with the Haka time.

Maybe people did not want to get wet.

Maybe it was not something that would have interested a large number of people.

I'm with Berty though in that I did not know about it until I saw this thread yesterday. I rarely go into town anymore so would not have see the posters that you said were all over the city, and I only listen to snippets of Live95FM as if I have to listen to a radio station I generally listen to an online station.

I still would not have been at it though if I am to be honest about it, as the Liverpool game was on Setanta, and that was my interest for that time of the day.

Shame that there were not more at it as it could have been a fun thing for kids, but in another way it is apt that the record for the biggest Haka stays in New Zealand.

Maybe the brains behind the Limerick Haka could organise some World record attempt that has an Irish link and try to tie it in with schools on a schoolday, so that the kids would have the incentive of missing some school time (with the school's consent of course) if they went to the event. Do the same with the colleges etc, and have the event in the People's Park or at one of the local sportsgrounds.

Good! :D I was in a few of your pics :P Like: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_29VvenHg5OA/TZdZwXOMbRI/AAAAAAAAB44/3Gt6lsSAzyk/s912/DSCF0335.JPG in the middle with the camera taking names :P If I'd stayed at the top I'd have been in too many for my liking, but it seems CCSL loves your pics as he's in most of them (and looking at the camera in some)

I have a game of photo tag going on with Pat (CCSL) at the moment, he is like me, loves taking pics but hates being in them. :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    Or maybe a lot of people were already at the Young Munster-Garryowen games when the gates opened for the Haka.

Maybe a lot of people were watching the live soccer that was on tv that overlapped with the Haka time.

Maybe people did not want to get wet.

Maybe it was not something that would have interested a large number of people.

I'm with Berty though in that I did not know about it until I saw this thread yesterday. I rarely go into town anymore so would not have see the posters that you said were all over the city, and I only listen to snippets of Live95FM as if I have to listen to a radio station I generally listen to an online station.

I still would not have been at it though if I am to be honest about it, as the Liverpool game was on Setanta, and that was my interest for that time of the day.

Shame that there were not more at it as it could have been a fun thing for kids, but in another way it is apt that the record for the biggest Haka stays in New Zealand.

Maybe the brains behind the Limerick Haka could organise some World record attempt that has an Irish link and try to tie it in with schools on a schoolday, so that the kids would have the incentive of missing some school time (with the school's consent of course) if they went to the event. Do the same with the colleges etc, and have the event in the People's Park or at one of the local sportsgrounds.

Wouldnt it have made more sense to do the attempt near thomond park, or even IN thomond park? I mentioned it to a few people it was on in Mechants Quay and was met with "where?"

maybe attempt it again during the summer at riverfest or something, more people around the city and the weather would be nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Wouldnt it have made more sense to do the attempt near thomond park, or even IN thomond park? I mentioned it to a few people it was on in Mechants Quay and was met with "where?"

maybe attempt it again during the summer at riverfest or something, more people around the city and the weather would be nicer.

Yep both good suggestions in my eyes, or it could have been held on Paddy's day after the Parade in the People's park whilst there were still crowds of people with kids about.

What about people who didn't go to the Game? Or don't want to go to the game? Having it where it was is more central which is the entire point - When I was saying where it was I just said the courthouse opposite the lock near trooms, and everyone knew where it was.

And having it in Thomond Park would be a safety hazard to do it in the stands etc, and doing it on the pitch would ruin it, and make an even bigger safety hazard. After all, its not all about the munster match; I'm not a big fan myself but I was still at the Hakka attempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

What about people who didn't go to the Game? Or don't want to go to the game? Having it where it was is more central which is the entire point - When I was saying where it was I just said the courthouse opposite the lock near trooms, and everyone knew where it was.

And having it in Thomond Park would be a safety hazard to do it in the stands etc, and doing it on the pitch would ruin it, and make an even bigger safety hazard. After all, its not all about the munster match; I'm not a big fan myself but I was still at the Hakka attempt!

point of a record break attempt is to get as many people as possible. they could have used the pitch to the side of thomond park, where people could go for free, and not have to worry about tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There were a few important rugby games on at the time of the attempt so I am not surprised there were so few at it.

They were handing out flyers at the start of the 2.30 KO in Coonagh - wasnt worth their while imho

Shannon, Garryowen, Bruff, Crescent and Thomond all had important games at 2.30 - and if it was on Sunday - maybe they might have gotten more. Or move it closer to TP and closer to the time of the match.

Clearly not enough planning went into it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

Agree with Zuroph here, the pitch beside the Shannon club house in TPis the place to have held it. 26,000 people milling around waiting to go into the game. A captive audience and you don't need a ticket to get to that part of the grounds for those who want to go along without going to the game.

The Haka, in this part of the world is something associated purely with rugby, and holding the event when there are loads of local matches going on was pure stupidity on behalf of the "organisers". Who obviously thought that they'd get all the dubs down for the day involved, as if they'd give a crap. If they got in contact with TP this could have been organised for before the match and they would have gotten well over the amount they were looking for.

foinse wrote: »
    Agree with Zuroph here, the pitch beside the Shannon club house in TPis the place to have held it. 26,000 people milling around waiting to go into the game. A captive audience and you don't need a ticket to get to that part of the grounds for those who want to go along without going to the game.

The Haka, in this part of the world is something associated purely with rugby, and holding the event when there are loads of local matches going on was pure stupidity on behalf of the "organisers". Who obviously thought that they'd get all the dubs down for the day involved, as if they'd give a crap. If they got in contact with TP this could have been organised for before the match and they would have gotten well over the amount they were looking for.

and it could have been televised if it was made part of the munster match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

All a bit harsh they were students with a good intention give them a break, surely they realise their mistakes by now

kilburn wrote: »
    All a bit harsh they were students with a good intention give them a break, surely they realise their mistakes by now

damn it no! they should be publically hung!

Now, we could have it at the courthouse but not many people would turn up, so maybe at a match.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

The whole thing is a bit silly really. No doubt though it attracted all of the bandwagon munster fans in. I acknowledge that there are real genuine munster fans before anyone has a pop!

Someone from LIT should really come on here and maybe explain if Munster or Thomond Park were asked to accomodate them, and if its the case that they werent asked, then why not?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Someone from LIT should really come on here and maybe explain if Munster or Thomond Park were asked to accomodate them, and if its the case that they werent asked, then why not?

Does it really matter enough that they should have to explain though? I mean it was a class project, nothing more, regardless of it being succesful or not they have the same experience to write up, the logistics of organisation. In fact, a failure is possible better for them, as they can report on where the attempt fell down and what they would change etc.

Maybe thats true zuroph

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Jafin

Mc Love wrote: »
    Clearly not enough planning went into it

Wow. Just wow. I was there for it, my best friend is in the class that did it. They have been staying up until 3AM every night and having to get up for college the next morning for the last 3 months straight. Just because they didn't succeed does not mean they didn't put enough time for planning into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Ok lets call a spade a spade here. I defended the students earlier saying give them a break and great idea and effort put in but up until 3 at nite every nite for 3 months might be believable as they are students but they werent organising that for that long

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Jafin

Sorry, I meant to say 3 weeks, not months! They had been organising it over the past 2 months though as far as I know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement