Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How NOT to post on this forum - A Case Study.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The reason the posts were removed to a new thread (and not deleted) was because for a short time a legitimate debate was being carried out. The topic of that debate was of no help whatsoever to the OP in the other thread, you are correct. That is why the other thread was cleaned (i.e. to keep it on-topic). The fact that one poster refused to follow site-guidelines, despite polite recommendation, is of no fault of mine.

I don't know what you find sad about that.

What I find sad about it, is that it is being put up as some kind of example for the rest of us plebs. You as a mod, or another mod, could just as easily have dealt with it. Explained to the offending parties by PM what they were doing against the charter, and if/when they did not comply with the charter, then the mod on duty could have infracted/banned them and just deleted all the offending posts, and the problem would be gone from sight.

Moving the offending posts into a thread of their own as some kind of "example" for the rest of us smacks of a few things to be honest, and also goes against something we are told on a regular basis not to do in the open forum.

Now I know by discussing it now I could be accused of discussing an issue in public rather than taking it to PM, but isn't that what you have done by creating this thread?

And by creating this thread and stating on it how it is an example of how to not post in a proper manner, I think that you made it fine for me to question it and discuss it, because you put it out there in your capacity as a mod.

I don't agree with how the banned poster was putting their pov across, but I do think that highlighting the incident in a seperate thread is wrong, and that unless you are going to do the same from here in with every thread that has a similar incident in it, and by that I mean take the offending posts and make a seperate thread stating that this is how not to do it, then what you have done is little more than isolating a poster or even be seen as unfair treatment after a punishment was already handed out.

Best thing in my eyes is to have simply deleted the lot after handing out a punishement, but that is only an opinion and not a suggestion, as a suggestion would be back seat modding.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some very good points there, Kess, thanks. Feel free to post any opinions/feedback you have about this. As it's a thread of an unusual nature, posts about my handling of this will not be considered back-seat modding.

Edit: Just FYI, I've asked for Admin intervention in this case RE: what appears to be the use of multiple accounts. I believed that putting all the posts in one thread would allow for greater clarity in Dispute Resolution. That was my primary goal for this thread. I will concede that my choice of thread-title has put more emphasis on a different aspect of the issue, and that was not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Some very good points there, Kess, thanks. Feel free to post any opinions/feedback you have about this. As it's a thread of an unusual nature, posts about my handling of this will not be considered back-seat modding.

As someone who has gotten his fair share of infractions, some I defo deserved and some that were dodgy, the one thing I know that always works with me is for a mod to PM me with the issue and to advise me to tone it down/shut up/edit post or whatever. If I then ignore that, then I get what I deserve. But I know that if I got a punishment for something, and accepted that punishment as fair, as in I did not go to the feedback forum to contest it, then I would not be happy to see a matter I presumed to be over and done with put up again as an example.

Some posters may agree with me, others may think I am spouting utter rubbish, but modding can be a divisive topic at the best of times. Some mods are excellent at what they do, in that they hardly get noticed doing their job but get the job done fairly, and other mods have a more hardline approach that works well in extreme situations but can be overkill for lesser offences.

I'm not pointing the finger at any particular mod or mods btw.

I know modding can be pretty thankless, but the majority of people will respond in a positive manner to a mod that takes the time to explain the problem by PM, and will generally respect the mod more for it, and will try to abide by what they have been asked to do.

I think people get the backs up when they see what they think is overly harsh modding or modding that potentially opens a can of worms for the future, the latter being my bugbear today.

I think that consistency is the key. An obvious thing to say I know, but no less true in my eyes. I have seen some bannings on here over the last few months that made very little sense due to seeing other posters say similar things and get no punishment. Now the idea of hitting the report button everytime someone does not get banned for something another did get banned for is not and option and would be petty, but seeing bans handed out for things that others were not punished for does grate, and whilst that did not happen in today's incident it does happen, and of course is not limited to this forum.

Maybe we should have a thread on here every three months or every six months or whatever timelimit was deemed the right one, where we the forum users are asked to comment on how we think the forum is, and what improvements or changes could be made.

Something like how it gets done on the soccer forum. That way the mods/adims have feedback on issues in the forum, and can then get a feel for what people are thinking and maybe create more of a community feel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kess73 wrote: »
    As someone who has gotten his fair share of infractions, some I defo deserved and some that were dodgy, the one thing I know that always works with me is for a mod to PM me with the issue and to advise me to tone it down/shut up/edit post or whatever. If I then ignore that, then I get what I deserve. But I know that if I got a punishment for something, and accepted that punishment as fair, as in I did not go to the feedback forum to contest it, then I would not be happy to see a matter I presumed to be over and done with put up again as an example.

I was awake until 04:30 this morning replying to PMs from the poster involved. The Feedback Forum is no longer used for disputes with moderators, nor is the Help Desk. That is now carried out in this forum. cruiser did start a thread in Help Desk despite advice on the appropriate steps to take. Now, all of that took place behind-the-scenes, so to be fair there's no way you could have known about it. Suffice to say, polite PMs did no do the trick in this instance.
    I think that consistency is the key. An obvious thing to say I know, but no less true in my eyes. I have seen some bannings on here over the last few months that made very little sense due to seeing other posters say similar things and get no punishment. Now the idea of hitting the report button everytime someone does not get banned for something another did get banned for is not and option and would be petty, but seeing bans handed out for things that others were not punished for does grate, and whilst that did not happen in today's incident it does happen, and of course is not limited to this forum.

In cases like these, I'm always happy to take PMs from concerned posters.
    I've had a quick look at the Ban History for this forum, though, and this is the break-down of bans given out in the last year:
    • 1 request for illegal substances
    • 1 promoting illegal activities
    • 2 (last night) for what appears to be sock-puppeting
    • 2 shills for a school
    • 4 for spamming across the site
    • 2 for racism/trolling

All of the above were permanent bans from the forum.
    • 1 poster banned twice (2 weeks; 1 month) for repeated incidences of: trolling; back-seat modding; thread-spoiling; abusive language.

This, I'm guessing, is the one you have an issue with.
    Maybe we should have a thread on here every three months or every six months or whatever timelimit was deemed the right one, where we the forum users are asked to comment on how we think the forum is, and what improvements or changes could be made.

Something like how it gets done on the soccer forum. That way the mods/adims have feedback on issues in the forum, and can then get a feel for what people are thinking and maybe create more of a community feel.

We had a Forum Feedback thread back in January for advice on re-writing the Midwest Charters. The first draft was written at the end of January. Clareman and I are trying to get advice from as many sources as possible before implementing the final draft. As the change-over to the new search engine has shown, bringing in something new before all the kinks are ironed out can turn out worse than staying with the out-dated original a little bit longer.
    There will be a new, permanent, stickied Feedback thread as soon as the Charter is up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Because you're exaggerating. Simple as that. Town isn't exactly paradise, but it's a long, long way from the hell you're pretending it is.

well i have to say every city has its ups and down but as a point of interest i was once chased in to the river and nearly drowned once only because i was too scared to fight back and this is the days well before forgine people came not that im blaming them im married to a Chinese after all but like i said all citys have ups and owns and even sideways just be careful

• Advertisement

cruiser178 wrote: »
    2008 limerick city the murder capital of europe http://www.independent.ie/national-news/limerick-is-now-the-official-murder-capital-of-europe-1353369.html GTFO,this place is a ****hole and you know whats worse,we the ppl have left it get this way.

That issue was just to cover up dublin and what happened in that time frame have a look at the governmental issues at the time who ireland was dealing with and so on the took some of the heat away which we shouldnt have. had to do.

BUT HONESTLY PEOPLE WHAT DO YOU EXPECT THIS IS NOT A SAFE WORLD THE IDEAL LIVING CONDITIONS SIMPLY DO NOT EXIST GET OVER IT AND GET ON WITH IT!!

I'm 22 years old, so no, I don't have kids. I practically am one, in some people's eyes. ;)
    I live my life in and around Limerick City, and I genuinely can't understand how you keep coming out with the stuff you post.

On another note, I'd like to remind you that the site guidelines say "attack the post, not the poster". With that in mind I'm asking you to refrain from attacking my character. There's really no need at all to use the words "blindness", "naive" and "ignorance" in this conversation.

CRIKY IO I THOUGHT YOU WERE OLDER, strange question and off topic i know but do you own Boards.ie?? thats a pretty nice investment you have at such a young age and i do like this site alot, heres hoping i dont get banned some day lol :D

zuroph wrote: »
    thats some pathetic posting.

althoug i dont agree with his post i can see why he posted it like hge did

when i was growing up in limerick i was bullied by some people in southill while in school and the worst thing is i was bullied right after. (when i was old enough to move out i did but i moved back to SH later)

when i moved in to the now gone palm court i was robbed 5 times in one night beaten up and battered with a rock from the garden left out cold the 3rd time the robbed me and bruised. the perp held my own kitchen knife to my throat and was about to cut my throat open but some blond bit pulled it away.

I left that night abs never returned but he still walks free i wont give there names but lets just say we know him by his nickname as something that grows from a tree.

I have done one or two mister miners in my time nothing that warrants a spell in limerick prison mind but i am glad to say i never ever got a record.

zuroph wrote: »
    any chance of getting their crap deleted too? It frustrates me to think that someone may be thinking of moving to Limerick, come to the forum, see this thread, and see the ****e that they've posted and put up here.

actually i think it should stay, it shows that we are not afraid to protect our city and although we know it has its flaws we are prepared to admit them and expose them and to also show we have a good side too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement