Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Limerick

• 30-03-2011 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys I need some advise regarding rentals in limerick please. when i move i wont be working so not lot of money and need to know how much money i should bring to rent out an apartment or house in limerick city. what would a deposit be and rent.

Im from limerick city my self but been quite some time since i was there.

I am married with a 2 year old child and one on the way (23 weeks today).
    im doing a course which finishes soon and so is my wife.

I am eligible for rent allowance and presently on a RAS house which we do not like and wish to move home to family as we have no one here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

From limerick city council website ras@limerickcity.ie 061-407342.

Give them an email or ring with your questions.

I would not recommend anyone move back to limerick without a job lined up because your chances of getting a job is slim. Unemployment is 20,000+, 30,000+ in midwest region.

Don't mean to be a pessimist but depending on limerick city council to house you, You might not like your current house but your future one could be worse.

Although you could be lucky.
    Have look on fairview crescent thread. (looks lovely estate on google maps)
    depends on neighbours.

Most of the unemployed (who want to work) i know have left or are leaving limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Hi MG regarding the job situation there is no jobs here in carlow but i worked with comfort keepers here in carlow2 and all i got was 3 hours a week and now the family has moved away i have no job, but i know there are a few in limerick, 5 to be exact so i could go down that route as here in carlow there is no jobs at all.

(Don't mean to be a pessimist but depending on limerick city council to house you, You might not like your current house but your future one could be worse.) we were threatened with eviction today because i asked the landlord to fix a few things the land lord is a nasty man and i think i will take my chances there in limerick, my mam and sister and my family all live in limerick and we have no one here you see.

Regarding this: Have look on fairview crescent thread. (looks lovely estate on google maps) depends on neighbors. do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

very negative first reply. theres a lot of jobs going in limerick, just not in skilled areas. plenty of signs in windows around.
    and if you are going to rent yourself, there is some fantastic apartments going for cheap in city centre, lower rents than most other city centres.

Don't have link but just search this limerick thread think it's called neighbours from hell, :) just cause it looks nice does not mean it is.

Give ras a ring see what they say about moving counties, not trying to put you off.

Spent 1 1/2 years looking for job (finally got one) but job hunting in limerick really sucks.

Dublin, cork, galway don't look as effected as recession as limerick city centre does, hopefully it will get better :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    very negative first reply. theres a lot of jobs going in limerick, just not in skilled areas. plenty of signs in windows around.
    and if you are going to rent yourself, there is some fantastic apartments going for cheap in city centre, lower rents than most other city centres.

Lots of jobs going in limerick must be joke of the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

http://jobordole.com/

Try it. It doesn't take into account the extra benefits such as medical card and will recommend that you go out and slave for 40hours to earn a euro more, when 40hours could be far better spent than earning a few cent an hour
    ((actual wage after tax - total dole benefits)/40)

theres plenty of signs in shop windows and in the paper if your open to working at anything. i know of 3 people who didnt bother to turn up on their first day starting in a new shop in town.
    and my dad used to rent out a few quite nice houses in city to rent allowance. nice areas too.

langdang wrote: »
    http://jobordole.com/

Try it. It doesn't take into account the extra benefits such as medical card and will recommend that you go out and slave for 40hours to earn a euro more, when 40hours could be far better spent than earning a few cent an hour
    ((actual wage after tax - total dole benefits)/40)

what is this site can it be trusted looks interesting

Hi OL hope all is well in cyberspace. Can you tell me whats all the hype with Fairview Crescent?

• Advertisement

I only gave fairview crescent as example, but moving to limerick on ras scheme will you have a choice on who your neighbour is?

Best of luck.

I only gave fairview crescent as example, but moving to limerick on ras scheme will you have a choice on who your neighbour is?

Best of luck.

well its looking like this MG

here no family support base
    no jobs
    landlord from hell

limerick chance to have family support
    get a job in care work many if you look
    landlord HAS to be better lol

but in fairness i do accept what you say limerick can be a nasty place if you let it but so can many other places in Ireland indeed anywhere in the world so best im were my family is.

tonyheaney wrote: »
    what is this site can it be trusted looks interesting
    Only knocked across it last night, haven't tried all the options so I don't know if weighs up all the advantages/disadvantages (child care costs, school books, school uniforms, medical card as previously mentioned, cost of commuting to work, an abundance (or not) of time to spend with your kids or do a few nixers...)

TBH I think it's more of an illustration of how the system actively discourages people from working rather than an accurate-in-all-cases tool for life choices, but it would give you an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I dont know I have lived in Limerick all my life and I love Limerick yes it has its ups and downs like everywhere else but I am sick to death of people constantly putting it down. Someone comes on the boards and asks where is a nice place to live and you give them the thread on fairview crescent I mean come on, is the whole of Limerick to be judged on fairview crescent.

You have your pick of places to rent in Limerick whether you are rent allowance, ras or working the same goes to everyone - its pot luck who lives next door to you. I think you have a very positive attidude and the best of luck with your move.

If you have family here I am sure they will tell you where to rent. Contact RAS first if you are giving up a RAS house to make sure you will be accepted on rent allowance first. Not sure what happens when you give up a RAS house are you entitled to rent allowance- just check it out. Anyway the best of luck house hunting and job hunting. I know 3 people in the last 4 weeks in Limerick that have got jobs.

whats the average rent and deposit to have in limerick should i want to go in may?

whats the average rent and deposit to have in limerick should i want to go in may? I also got this email today from a letting agent:

In response to your email, attached is a tenant information sheet and a new
    > let requirement sheet. This will give you details of what is required to let
    > a property. If you’re not employed and in receipt of social welfare we would
    > require and garda clearance letter.

since when do we need garda clearance

i'd figure 700 would get a city centre apartment, so double that for rent and deposit. possibly find cheaper but they may be dives. 750/800 seems average for nice places.

zuroph wrote: »
    i'd figure 700 would get a city centre apartment, so double that for rent and deposit. possibly find cheaper but they may be dives. 750/800 seems average for nice places.

the cut off point for Rent Allowance is 605 in limerick (650if you got 2 kids were
    23 weeks pregnant moment)

if i asked a Landlord to sign a document for €605 and id pay the balance can that be done also i would like to live out by the crescent shopping center or Raheen / Dooradoyle. whats the price and location like?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

the cut off point for Rent Allowance is 605 in limerick (650if you got 2 kids were
    23 weeks pregnant moment)

if i asked a Landlord to sign a document for €605 and id pay the balance can that be done also i would like to live out by the crescent shopping center or Raheen / Dooradoyle. whats the price and location like?

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s[cc_id]=ct5&s[a_id]=3722&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=700&s[bd_no]=&refine.x=76&refine.y=12&refine=Refine&search=1&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&search_type=rental&fr=default

• Advertisement

Reckon you'd get a 3bed in Kilteragh (near the crescent) for 700 easy. Can't see why any landlord would turn up his nose at RA as long as it wasn't the cast of Shameless making the enquiry...

fairly sure you'd have no problem getting that agreed to.

Plenty of places under €600 in limerick.

Are you sure you'll get rent allowance if giving up ras house?
    Do you have a lease on your ras house? What happens if you break it?

I would be contacting ras in council limerick + carlow to make sure. There must be a way people can move county to county.

Someone asks about moving home to Limerick, and in 24 posts you people have managed to reference Wayne Dundon and fairview crescent. FFS lads, We live in a city that lots of positives going for it, stop dragging it through the muck every chance you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

this looks nice rent allowance accepted and in castletroy

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1027824
    no picture tony but might be worth a view 4 500e a month http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=972281

this one looks promising as well at 650 ehtp://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?

best of luck

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

OP your best bet by far is to go through the RAS in Limerick ... I say this as a landlord who has rented to tenants on Rent Allowance and now RAS

The RAS scheme offers landlords a sense of security that letting to Rent Allowance tenants does not.

RAS vets perspective tenants so that landlords are assured of decent folk. RAS also sign up property to 3 or 4 year leases which gives landlords a guarenteed rent. The rent paid is 20% lower than market rate but the benefits (to me anyway) balance out this.

Rent Allowance tenants allow a landlord to get market rates but they have no idea what the tenant is really like. I've had some great tenants over the years but I've also had a heroin dealer and a family who didn't pay me rent for 9 nines before they moved on.

You seem like a decent bloke and if you approached a landlord with a perspective RAS contract they will bite your hand off these days.

Just one thing to be aware of - make sure your happy with the house before you sign up as I know the Limerick office are very strict on getting tenants to see out the full length of the lease.

I hope things work ut for you on your return home

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

DUB777 wrote: »
    An infraction for this??:confused:
    In times of our nations economic doom and gloom, we cannot make light hearted jokes? I suppose my "infractor" probably doesnt like the rubber bandits either?:eek:? Any way Test Transmission seemed to like it.. If it made one person smile/laugh or even a little giggle. I dont mind, it was worth it.:pac:

If you want to discuss moderation, then send me a PM. Posting about infractions on-thread is actually a great way to pick up more cards. As for TestTransmission's post? He was being sarcastic. Your joke wasn't funny. Now cop on and post something useful. Either that or stop digging yourself closer towards a ban.

this looks nice rent allowance accepted and in castletroy

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1027824
    no picture tony but might be worth a view 4 500e a month http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=972281

this one looks promising as well at 650 ehtp://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?

best of luck

:rolleyes:

whats the place like i have family there but been years since i been there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

whats the place like i have family there but been years since i been there

if u contact the auctioneer posted theyll send u on pics of the proetery or will arrange a viewing with ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

stay away

Advertisement