Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

• 11-02-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

Ive struggled with this issue for a long time, and only now that im being forced to face up to it am i taking action. I have an anxiety problem, ill feel anxious and nervous for no reason even just sitting at home. During stressful situations this will greatly intensify, and leave me feeling breathless. Due to the nature of my job which I have just started, I have to do quite a lot of public speaking. This terrifies me, really terrifies me and ive been avoiding it as much as possible so far. On one occassion when i had to do it recently, my voice started shaking uncontrollably and i sounded like i was having a breakdown id say. This always happens me when i have to speak in front of a crowd, my voice breaks and becomes really shaky. Its really noticable, and has been mentioned to me before.
    Im going to the GP tomorrow to see if theres anything he can prescribe to help this, as its becoming unbearable. I think i need a prescription for Valium or the likes of to reduce the anxiety. How likely is the GP to prescribe medication in your opinion, judging by what I have posted.?
    thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hi guys.
    I've been feeling anxious and depressed for as long as I can remember and I'm sure there's a lot more of you out there feeling the same.
    A lot of the time when i try to talk to my friends about it, they don't understand and they say I'm just a pessimistic and that I should just start being happier. (if only it was so simple right!)
    But i thought it would be nice for people to have somewhere (here) to talk to people who do understand what you're going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

heya,

i completly understand what you mean about friends not really understanding how you're feeling.
    Ive been suffering from depression for the past 5 yrs (prob longer but just didnt know/accept it) and although my friends have been great in many ways (and one of the reasons why im still around) when i try to talk to them they just tell me to stop being "silly" and that i've "everything going for me and theres people out there with terrible problems".

That just makes me feel worse, tbh, cos i know that there is nothin fundamentally wrong in my life and i know others have terrible problems, but my problems are mine and they are just as relevant!

I know my friends feel awkward (which is why i dont talk about my depression with them much) so i agree that this thread is a great idea!

its funny, i can go for weeks where everything is ok and im coping with things and i feel like a 'normal' person and then suddenly im a tearful mess and just want to hide away from the world. Have just recently started counselling and can see improvements already but god, its hard and draining work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I've been in this 'game' of mental illness for many years now. I'd argue that I've always been a bit depressed, in fact, but it was just that when I was younger I didn't really know any different. At this stage, I can't say that I honestly know what it's like to be happy for longer than a few weeks. i'm so used to feeling bad now that I feel 'not me' when I smile and laugh.

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭alias141282

I've suffered from mild - moderate depression and anxiety for 10 years but have been making good progress in the past two years with mindfulness and CBT.

I think for me it started when i was around 11. I've been desperately trying to think what might have happened then but i can't think of anything major.
    Thats great that it's getting better alias :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Good Start thread Phi3 Ive been suffering this anixety / mild depression my self for the last 10 years and i fully agree with you when you talk about this to your friends they just think your negative on everything

a lot of the time its not to bad, but as you think your going away from it it hits you hard Dont know how i first got depression or remember all i know is on holiday in spain 10 years ago i got my first major panic attack and was in bits for a year after not going on hols etc for the fear of it

Im on anti Ds for the last 7 years and they do help but not all the time

Hi Bob.
    Totally agree about just when you think you're better it hits again. That is so hard. It's happened to me a few times. I cried so much coz i knew it was back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I am really relieved to hear that others feel like I do. I often feel totally miserable for no apparent reason and, by doing so, I feel ungrateful for all the good things in my life. It's like I just cant help feeling down and the fear and misery of having a down day makes it worse. I have been on Seroxat for over twenty years and wonder if I have become immune to it.

You could be immune to em. Maybe you should go back to the doctor. I'm no-one to preach. I haven't even been able to tell a doctor how i feel yet. I know i should but the severe anxiety i feel just thinking about going to the doctor is too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Severe anxiety and depression here also, very hard to get through the day but it's good to see there's a thread for people to talk in!! How does everyone get through the day? Struggling atm.

• Advertisement

zimovain wrote: »
    Severe anxiety and depression here also, very hard to get through the day but it's good to see there's a thread for people to talk in!! How does everyone get through the day? Struggling atm.

Hi sorry to hear you're not feeling good atm. You just have to do the best you can. I find going for a walk of listening to and singing along to my fave music helps. But sometimes getting the motovation to do anything can be very hard.

Some people say that having a pet is very helpful and I love spending time with my dog. What really worries me tho is why I feel like this so much of the time and why I cant motivate myself to feel better. Its often an effort to to have a basic conversation with the people I love - that cant be right or normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Nice idea for a thread. :) As my counsellor said to me lately, being depressed just means that I "feel harder" than many other people. Feeling harder isn't so bad, imo. I like to think of it as a heightened sense now!
    Currently on Zispin, and a short-term dose of Stilnoct to help me get some sleep, but look at the time I'm posting - 3:40am... Yeah, not really working.

zimovain wrote: »

How do I get through the day? Well, I haven't been to work in about a month, so not very well, I guess.
    So many people say, "Oh, you just have to get up and keep on going.". Yeah, the whole problem is that I can't because I just don't care enough.
    Have you seen your GP or anyone about you're feeling atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Novella wrote: »
    Nice idea for a thread. :) As my counsellor said to me lately, being depressed just means that I "feel harder" than many other people. Feeling harder isn't so bad, imo. I like to think of it as a heightened sense now!
    Currently on Zispin, and a short-term dose of Stilnoct to help me get some sleep, but look at the time I'm posting - 3:40am... Yeah, not really working.

How do I get through the day? Well, I haven't been to work in about a month, so not very well, I guess.
    So many people say, "Oh, you just have to get up and keep on going.". Yeah, the whole problem is that I can't because I just don't care enough.
    Have you seen your GP or anyone about you're feeling atm?
    You need stilnoct on top of zispin? I was on Zispin for a few months before and it knocked me out within an hour of taking it. Everyones different i suppose. I have had this low level depression or dysthymia for over ten years and generalised anxiety for around that too. On prozac now which helps mood but makes me very apathetic. Binge drinking too every few weeks which makes me ten times worse. I find exercise very good for anxiety and mild-moderate depression as well as regular sleep/wake times, too much sleep makes me more depressed. It's become like a chronic condition for me now that has seen me waste much of my twenties trying different anti depressants(most of them made me worse) , waiting for years to get psychological treatment. become addicted to sleeping tablets etc etc. Bit more hopefull at present so hopefully i can keep improving in my thirties.

On lustral and zyprexa so I get very sedated, zyprexa would knock a horse out. Believe it or not I find it hard to sleep on the stuff. I get so sedated I just can't sleep, just sit there more or less stoned.

Valerian tea does help me nod off eventually and if you have trouble sleeping you should try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

You need stilnoct on top of zispin? I was on Zispin for a few months before and it knocked me out within an hour of taking it. Everyones different i suppose. I have had this low level depression or dysthymia for over ten years and generalised anxiety for around that too. On prozac now which helps mood but makes me very apathetic. Binge drinking too every few weeks which makes me ten times worse. I find exercise very good for anxiety and mild-moderate depression as well as regular sleep/wake times, too much sleep makes me more depressed. It's become like a chronic condition for me now that has seen me waste much of my twenties trying different anti depressants(most of them made me worse) , waiting for years to get psychological treatment. become addicted to sleeping tablets etc etc. Bit more hopefull at present so hopefully i can keep improving in my thirties.

Yup. I only got a prescription for 12 Stilnoct though, apparently they are very addictive. Might as well be Skittles I'm taking though, have no effect on me whatsoever.
    Zispin, they made me really drowsy for the first few days. I remember the first night I took it and the next day I went out at about 3pm. Felt like I was so drunk, couldn't focus on people talking to me or anything. Now though, I take it, I'm still up all night. I was up all last night, finally got to sleep at 10am.

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit more hopeful about things atm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Only read the first few posts here but i would be in the same boat. The friends i grew up with for the most part didnt understand it at all. I suffer from anxiety and panic and while i tend not to admit it, probably mild depression also. Dont think of myself as depressed but having said that im worried and down about alot of things going on in my life so i suppose i probably am to some extent. The main thing that worries me is since i got the anxiety and panic, my dependance on drink has grown and grown. Started out having a drink before i went out to pubs as a sort of anxiety relief but has gotten to the stage now where i stay in, talk in here or chatrooms and have a few cans or shoulder of vodka almost every night. Easy answer is to stop doing it i know but easier said than done. My question mainly is does anyone else find themselves using alcohol as a crutch and eventually feeling like you need it to be sociable after getting anxiety? To be honest i almost feel like i cant talk to people without it these days, altho a few lads i know have been massively helpful recently on realising everyone has problems, some show em, some dont but that im certainly not alone on it. The alcohol thing is starting to scare me tho as the fear of getting physical illness from it is adding to the anxiety...unless i have a few and the cycle starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Novella wrote: »
    Yup. I only got a prescription for 12 Stilnoct though, apparently they are very addictive. Might as well be Skittles I'm taking though, have no effect on me whatsoever.
    Zispin, they made me really drowsy for the first few days. I remember the first night I took it and the next day I went out at about 3pm. Felt like I was so drunk, couldn't focus on people talking to me or anything. Now though, I take it, I'm still up all night. I was up all last night, finally got to sleep at 10am.

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit more hopeful about things atm :)
    I wonder about the meds im on also. Im on Efexor and while im not sure if it is really helping me, if i miss a few days the withdrawals kick in and im a huge amount worse!Basically makes me scared to ask the doc to try a different one cos afaik i would have to go 2 weeks off meds so would be withdrawal city! :) Changed meds once and the gap was horrible. Having said that, since being on Efexor, i havent been having as bad attacks as i used to. Still have them but not to the same extent but i dont know if thats the meds helping or me learning to calm myself when it happens.

Fandango wrote: »
    Only read the first few posts here but i would be in the same boat. The friends i grew up with for the most part didnt understand it at all. I suffer from anxiety and panic and while i tend not to admit it, probably mild depression also. Dont think of myself as depressed but having said that im worried and down about alot of things going on in my life so i suppose i probably am to some extent. The main thing that worries me is since i got the anxiety and panic, my dependance on drink has grown and grown. Started out having a drink before i went out to pubs as a sort of anxiety relief but has gotten to the stage now where i stay in, talk in here or chatrooms and have a few cans or shoulder of vodka almost every night. Easy answer is to stop doing it i know but easier said than done. My question mainly is does anyone else find themselves using alcohol as a crutch and eventually feeling like you need it to be sociable after getting anxiety? To be honest i almost feel like i cant talk to people without it these days, altho a few lads i know have been massively helpful recently on realising everyone has problems, some show em, some dont but that im certainly not alone on it. The alcohol thing is starting to scare me tho as the fear of getting physical illness from it is adding to the anxiety...unless i have a few and the cycle starts.
    Hi there. I just read your message and my heart really goes out to you. Please, please do something about the drinking as a matter of urgency. I am not preaching to you but I know what drink can do to lives. It's great that you've come on here and basically sought help - keep being as open with your friends as possible.

Fandango wrote: »

I thought before that having a few drinks would helm me calm down before going to bed or would make me seem more "normal" before going out but it doesn't. Alcohol IS a depressant. And my depression gets way worse after having it so now i avoid it. I'll still have a drink or two when i go out, which i rarely do but really it doesn't do me any good.

• Advertisement

You're so right phi3, alcohol is a very strong depressant. I dont drink at all, though I am not anti-drink, but my father was an alcoholic and I know the crutch it can become for people. Plus, if you mix alcohol with medication it can have very serious consequences. I know the feelings of depression, I have suffered for many years and I know how utterly helpless and bleak one can feel for no apparent reason at times - but alcohol is not the answer.
    This thread is a wonderful idea to help people to write down their feelings. Often, when you write what's on you mind it helps to formulate your thoughts and make them clearer and, equally, it is often much easier to write something down than to say it out loud.
    If this thread helps someone suffering from depression/anxiety it will be a wonderful achievement for the person who started it. Well done to you.

My anxiety is real bad lately:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 RIODEJ

Just after noticed this topic which was a good one to start, truth is many many people suffer emotional probs in ireland which is a shame. its alot more common tha many people think. personally i think many irish still consider it a taboo subject. but in general i think us irish are less open minded, liberal and understanding compared to other countries which is a shame.

People can sometimes get relient on medication, i think doctors are the worst drug pushers at times but of course anti-depressants are necessary for bad depression etc. Truth is its very beneficial for people to talk and not bottle stuff up. us men arent as good at talking about problems as women which can be unhealthy. Also i do find ireland can be a very depressing place-rain, cold, clouds and i believe irish people still have a lot of bitterness, begrugery, and division among ourselves which isnt healthy at all. for example i seen how bullying destroyed some people at school, people who were nice but just put down and down, used as scapegoats, no-one seemed to care that they were depressed

i noticed people from sunny countries generally seem much more happy and content and also more respectful of each other-spain, italy, brazil, austrailia etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

RIODEJ wrote: »
    People can sometimes get relient on medication, i think doctors are the worst drug pushers at times but of course anti-depressants are necessary for bad depression etc.

just have to pick up on this one point

anti-depressants are NOT addictive

thats a huge myth thats out there, and its a reason many people will refuse to start meds which they desperately need

i know that some anti-depressants have discontinuation effects, but that does not mean they are actually addictive

I agree, they're not addictive like valium is but people can get habitually relient on them which in ways is similar to an addiction

theres always the placebo effect that when a person stope them, they may feel abit down and then think they cant do without them etc. but your right they're generally not suppossed to be addictive although some consider seroxat to be abit addcitive.

But my main point is yes they are really necessary for someone with bad depression who is really on the edge. however in recent years gp's have been throwing them out like mad. for example a teenager who is down because of maybe some problems with bullying may not need medication but a natural intervention therapy like counselling to talk about the problem not be put on pills. pills can change the brains chemistry but cant change a person environment, circumstances and the way they deal with problems. its a chemical crutch. gp's need to be more responsible and make counselling therapies more accessible

Also has anybody here been prescribed lamictal?

i think some of the reasons gp's seem to be "handing them out like mad" is that the alternative simply isnt there. it just isnt.

so whats teh gp to do? leave a person totally untreated? or give them meds, knowing that they wont solve all the problem, but may solve part of it?

Thats a valid point
    Not taking meds for bad depression isnt good but anti-d's can sometimes be harmful too, theyre very synthetic and can sometimes trigger bi-polar disorder, mania, severe aggression and suicide but in general the benefits probally do outweigh the risks and the negatives

To be honest i think its such a bloody shame that so many people are in this situation, some because of different reasons but in general some people are so nasty and spiteful that they can be so cruel to drive a person into depression and chronic anxiety. its an awful burden for a person to carry and awful cruel for people to make somebody get depressed

sam34 wrote: »
    just have to pick up on this one point

anti-depressants are NOT addictive

thats a huge myth thats out there, and its a reason many people will refuse to start meds which they desperately need

i know that some anti-depressants have discontinuation effects, but that does not mean they are actually addictive

I really feel I have to take issue with this remark. Could I suggest that the writer do some research on Seroxat? Does the fact that one has to be very slowly weaned off this medication not suggest that it is addictive? Have any others on this site ever tried to come off it? If it was possible to come off Seroxat I would have done so a very long time ago but my Doctor has told me its very difficult to do so.

Shazanne wrote: »
    I really feel I have to take issue with this remark. Could I suggest that the writer do some research on Seroxat? Does the fact that one has to be very slowly weaned off this medication not suggest that it is addictive? Have any others on this site ever tried to come off it? If it was possible to come off Seroxat I would have done so a very long time ago but my Doctor has told me its very difficult to do so.

i know plenty about seroxat and all other anti-depressants, as i am a psychiatrist :)

the fact that one has to be weaned off it does not suggest it is addictive. this has to be done because of discontinuation effects.

for addiction, there are a number of criteria that have to be met:

a compulsion /craving to take the substance

difficulty controlling substance-taking behaviour, in terms of onset, termination or level of use

tolerance - ie needing ever-increasing doses to achieve the effect originally produced by lower doses

primacy and drug-seeking behaviour - ie prioritising the substance over other aspects of ones life

persistant use despite clear evidence of harmful consequences

narrowing of the personal repertoire of the substance use

withdrawal state

for a diagnosis of dependence, you need to have three or more of teh above symptoms concurrently

it is wodely acknowledged that some anti-depressants, seroxat and effexor in particular, have discontinuation effects. this is because they both ahve short half-lives. however, discontinuation effects alone do not mean the substance os addictive, or that the person is dependent on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

I hope your anxiety eases are yo on meds ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement