Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Get to site without typing www

• 22-09-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a simple website set up with details of my wedding. I designed it on google sites and registered a .info name with register365.com. After sending out the invitations we discovered that people are unable to access the site unless they type www.domain.info so we are getting messages to say the site is not working as a lot of people are just typing domain.info. Does anyone know how to configure register365.com DNS to allow users to access the site even if they don't type the www prefix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Freemancon

Glad you asked...this really annoys us when we see it...especially on Goverment sites..Ya, we are talking to you CRO.ie, Oh wait I mean wwwwwww.CRO.ie :-(

All you have to do is put in an "A" record in your DNS that points to your domain without the www That's it, pretty easy right :-)

Just look at the A record you already have and then create another A record exactly like it but drop the www.

Oops looks like I've been "Censored" ...made a mistake and mentioned a dreaded Hosting provider ...what I should have said is there is at least one Hosting providers in Ireland that adds both A records by default. Thus, when you are next looking for a hosting provider..you might ask that question. (Hopefully, this passes the censors)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

mrroboito wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to configure register365.com DNS to allow users to access the site even if they don't type the www prefix?
    Contact Register365 support. They will help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I've tried register365's help, I'm still waiting for a reply 5 days later and I will have no trouble trying a different company next time round. Is it easy to change?
    I have an A record where the "hostname" is blank and it points to an ip address which I presume is register365's. I also have a cname record pointing to ghs.google.com. I'm not sure what other A record I should add.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

Oops, just found a support reply from the previously maligned register365, they have replied and told me I need to get an ip address from google. I'm terribly ashamed of myself for doubting their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

Why would you need IP address from google?
    Create another A record, put * as a host name and put exactly the same IP as the one in your first A record.
    See image attached. Replace the IP in image with your IP address.
    You will probably have to wait for a couple of hours before the zone will be reloaded but you should be ok within 24 hours.
    Hope this helps :)
    Have a beautiful wedding! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement