Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best beer for no hangover

• 26-02-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭

So whats the best beer for not getting a hangover?? And nobody suggest a non-alcoholic one!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i always get hangovers with beers, some worst than others

bud/carlsberg/miller = agony
    paulander/hoegarden/erdinger = bearable hangovers.

whiskey = no hangovers.

that being that's that only goes for me and everyone else is probably different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The best way to avoid hangovers with anything is to drink clever. Take your time (what's the point if you can't enjoy the flavour of your tipple?), drink water between pints (you may pee more but you won't dessicate your brain), don't mix drinks unless you know they compliment eachother (whiskey and stout work very well for me, but everyone'll have their own thing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

not sure, but I find cider the worst!

I find guinness ok on the head the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jpjc05

cooperla wrote: »

I find guinness ok on the head the next day.

Guinness can be ok on the head but 'sore' elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

whiskey = no hangovers.

that being that's that only goes for me and everyone else is probably different.

+1 on this, I drink Jameson and rarely get a hangover! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

guinness is fine with me but heineken blows my head off the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

heineken is the only one that gives me a hangover. Fosters gives me wicked heartburn though. Guiness no bother apart from plastering the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Sarky wrote: »
    The best way to avoid hangovers with anything is to drink clever. Take your time (what's the point if you can't enjoy the flavour of your tipple?), drink water between pints (you may pee more but you won't dessicate your brain), don't mix drinks unless you know they compliment eachother (whiskey and stout work very well for me, but everyone'll have their own thing).

You're being sensible

Sensible not allowed:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

According to the charter it's required.

Oh well, I tried. Enjoy your hangovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Redpunto wrote: »
    Sensible not allowed:D

[mod hat on]

Sensible is encouraged on this forum.

Non-sensible advice will be frowned upon.

[mod hat off]

Hmmm, I find Ales to be the best for me, so if I'm a normal "local" I'll stick to Smithwicks, or Macardles if they have it.

I cannot mix Guinness and Cider. Eugh.

Crappy lagers too, can't drink them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

from an offie: Warsteiner - lovely beer and very easy on the head the next morning

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Coors Light is a killer, needless to say have stayed away from it for a long long time now!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Logically, it should be beers with less preservatives. In Australia, Coopers would be a good candidate for no or little hangover. I find Heineken bottles to be particularly bad. Peroni on the other hand is no real prob. Realistically the damage is done through dehydration. If you're pissing more than you're drinking, you're gonna have a problem. If you have a couple of pints of water before bed and a neurofen if your head is starting to hurt, you will be fine. Same applies for wine. The cheaper the wine, the worse the head, broadly speaking.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The worst hangovers I've experienced were from Heineken sessions, sore heads with that muck.

Coors Light isn't too bad for me, easier on the stomach than Bulmers.

I love Warsteiner, but have yet to find a local bar which sells it over the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

If you want to try an reduce the hangover try drink a naturally conditioned beer as the yeast present will replace B vitamin complex that are lost, not a fool prove methos but somethims can help.

But you best be is drink water regular with your tipple of choice and some B vitamins before bed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Having done extensive research in the last few years I've found Bud Lite the easiest to deal with the next morning. Still get the occasional smart-ass barman ask me do I want a glass and ice with it though.

Cider, the morning after, makes me feel like I licked the road home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The beers they serve at Oktoberfest.

To do 12 hours solid drinking and then wake up early the next morning feeling refreshed and ready to go (for another 12 hours) is a nice feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,372 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Logically, it should be beers with less preservatives.
    I hear this a lot, and people saying german beers are great for no hangovers and conclude it is since there are no preservatives. There are only trace amounts of preservatives beers. So going by your logic if you got the same substance in tablet form and ate 100pints worth do you really reckon you will get a hangover?
    Realistically the damage is done through dehydration.
    Dehydration is number 1. I have had very pure vodkas before, the only hangover is due to dehydration. On homedistilling websites this is a fact often commented on, how the lack of hangover is a sign that your still and processes are working correctly!

So once you exclude dehydration the next biggest thing to cause hangovers is cogeners, nasty chemicals produced in the brewing process. ethy esters, methanol, ethy acetate and other stuff is produced causing nice & nasty smells & tastes. When you distil a brew properly you can separate all this crap out, charcoal filtering is not necessary at all. The big companies squeeze every last drop out of their brew and then have the barefaced cheek to brag and market the fact that they HAVE to charcoal filter it 3 times, just to make the vile toxic crap palatable! They can undergo many different treatments to mask the off tastes & smells.
    GalKiefer wrote: »
    years I've found Bud Lite the easiest to deal with the next morning.
    Normal bud is brewed with rice and potato waste, these are both a very good recipe for congeners! also bud fermentation time is measured in hours, higher temps will lead to a quicker brew, which usually has way more congeners. Homedistillers will use pure sugar and yeast with nutrient blends developed to cause no smells or tastes, to result in a very neutral spirit.

Most stories I hear of hangovers caused by some brands are not rational, "I am never touching warsteiner again, gives me a wicked hangover", translates as "I ate nothing all day and lashed down 10 pints, first time I ever tried it" the person could well have got a far worse hangover from their regular tipple. I have seen lads cringe seeing me drink beers, just because they had a bad night on it once. Stella is often quoted as one, but it is far more likely that people are not drinking enough water with it. Stella is 5.2% and most of the other €1 beers are 4.3% so it is 20% stronger, yet people do not factor this in. So it is "bad" on 2 counts, people drink the same volume, which is 20% more alcohol, and they are far more dehydrated.
    cooperla wrote: »
    GalKiefer wrote: »
    Cider, the morning after, makes me feel like I licked the road home.
    Cider is one of the worst. Normal apple juice even contains methanol! but it is full of pectin which leads to even more methanol production, red wine is quite high in cogeners too. 6% ciders will also dehydrate you more. Sugar based brews contain only bare trace amounts of methanol. Properly distilled rum is a good choice for getting no hangover. I find Skyy vodka is very pure, also with normal absolut they add back in cogener laiden distillate for taste, same for whiskeys. While the absolut flavoured series is a more pure distillate
    oblivious wrote: »
    If you want to try an reduce the hangover try drink a naturally conditioned beer as the yeast present will replace B vitamin complex that are lost, not a fool prove methos but somethims can help.

But you best be is drink water regular with your tipple of choice and some B vitamins before bed
    Spot on with the yeast. Also wash down those tablets with 10 pints of water and you should be ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I had heineken for the first time in ages tuesday and didn't feel right for two days afterwards. I've drank way more than I did that night, and I had eaten and everything, so I think it was the heineken that did the damage. Never touching it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

rubadub wrote: »

the next biggest thing to cause hangovers is cogeners, nasty chemicals produced in the brewing process. ethy esters, methanol, ethy acetate and other stuff is produced causing nice & nasty smells & tastes. When you distil a brew properly you can separate all this crap out, charcoal filtering is not necessary at all. The big companies squeeze every last drop out of their brew and then have the barefaced cheek to brag and market the fact that they HAVE to charcoal filter it 3 times, just to make the vile toxic crap palatable! They can undergo many different treatments to mask the off tastes & smells .red wine is quite high in cogeners too.
    Yes. This all makes sense. I suppose to the lay person, additives mean pretty much the same thing as preservatives. Volume production red wine often produces smelly wine. Sulphuric, farty type smells. In Australian production Silver oxide or copper oxide is added to dumb down smells. Cant remember which. One is legal one is not. The overuse of same indicates high cogeners in the first place. Hence the hangover. So not the preservative/additive causing the problem. It's the cogeners. I get you. Excellent info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,372 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The overuse of same indicates high cogeners in the first place.
    Thats a good point on the additives. It is a shame that alcohol producers do not have to disclose their ingredients, I never understood why they are let away with that, when other food & drink manufacturers have to. Tesco brand alcohols have ingredients listed out. Their vodkas have glycerin added to smoothen them out, another sign of a poorly separated/distilled spirit. Some whiskies have sugar added to smoothen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Moosehead gives me awful hangovers, no matter if I drink water or take vitamins before bed.

Lech never seems to give me a hangover though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Never had a hangover on a night out drinking Becks,no matter how many bottles I've had.I'd prefer to be drinking a weissber but the weissbeers especially Erdinger and Paulaner give terrible hangovers.
    Tiger Beer is another good one for no hangovers,drank a lot of it
    when I was in the Far East and never got a hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Fosters Ice.

Very hard to find but you won't get a hangover.

Alternativily drink frozen vodka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

SmithWicks

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

dutch gold. why you think all the scumbags drink it, because its cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Westwood wrote: »
    dutch gold. why you think all the scumbags drink it, because its cheap?

I though it was because they respected their rich brewing traditions that stretched back century's:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

had about 15 bottles of cobra(5%,330ml) last wekend..no hangover at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Redpunto

cojomo2 wrote: »
    had about 15 bottles of cobra(5%,330ml) last wekend..no hangover at all

got a big 660ml bottle of that in the fridge - tis sounding nice right about now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Really all depends on how many you drink? lol I mean 10 pints of stella one night not exactly Mr happy family’s the next day. or 5 cans sitting in, fine and dandy the next. Some people are way more tolerant then others. Especially while drinking as in friends of mine consuming up to 20 pints and not even having slurred speech or being even remotely drunk or unsteady. then other who have 2 beers are pallatic drunk and fight and get sick and are dying the next day you know the type, ****ing lightweights!!

Advertisement