Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Hagz wrote: »
    Does the "A" team have a match this weekend?

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/results_and_fixtures_leinster_a.php

Think just next week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Rhys Ruddock
    8: Sean O'Brien
    20: Jordi Murphy

Ruddock at 7 and O'Brien at 8. Does not compute.
    I reckon SOB will do a 7s job while Ruddock does an 8s job around the park. their numbers only reflect where they are going to pack down at scrum time.

I reckon SOB will do a 7s job while Ruddock does an 8s job around the park. their numbers only reflect where they are going to pack down at scrum time.

SOB plays fantastic at 8, several tries over the entire backrow, really the man is ridiculous.

Still Rhys has not been great, I suppose quite short on 8's overall and JH needs a rest and Leo Auva'a has been dreadful. That team should beat Zebre by 15+ at home regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

15: Isa Nacewa
    14: Andrew Conway
    13: Gordon D'Arcy
    12: Andrew Goodman
    11: Fergus McFadden
    10: Jonathan Sexton
    9: Eoin Reddan
    1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Sean Cronin
    3: Michael Bent
    4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
    5: Damian Browne
    6: Kevin McLaughlin
    7: Rhys Ruddock
    8: Sean O'Brien
    REPLACEMENTS:
    16: Aaron Dundon
    17: Cian Healy
    18: Mike Ross
    19: Tom Denton
    20: Jordi Murphy
    21: Isaac Boss
    22: Ian Madigan
    23: Fionn Carr

D'Arcy playing 13? When did we last see that? Still, he would have been a natural 13 had BOD not been around so maybe it's not too late... I like the look of Goodman so far so this might work out OK.

Ruddock at 7 and O'Brien at 8? Does not compute.

Good to see Browne back; if he comes through unscathed he'll be starting in Clermont.

I have to say overall I'm very happy with that squad. Obviously Heaslip and Strauss are being rested, as is Toner who I think has played in every game so far this season. But it's a solid tight five, possible question marks over Rhys but he looked good when he came back from injury against Cardiff, first choice half-backs, as good a pairing at centre as we could get really and a solid back 3. I wonder will that mean we might see Darce at 13 next week after all so?

molloyjh wrote: »
    I have to say overall I'm very happy with that squad. Obviously Heaslip and Strauss are being rested, as is Toner who I think has played in every game so far this season. But it's a solid tight five, possible question marks over Rhys but he looked good when he came back from injury against Cardiff, first choice half-backs, as good a pairing at centre as we could get really and a solid back 3. I wonder will that mean we might see Darce at 13 next week after all so?

You can never guess a Joe team:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Well if you can't try a few things out vs Zebre at home when can you?

ssaye wrote: »
    You can never guess a Joe team:D

Well if we can't figure it out then that must make life hell on the opposition, which is a good thing.

Something to look out for this weekend too
    Toulouse V Clermont

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,9989_8294894,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Where's D Kearns?

.ak wrote: »
    Where's D Kearns?

Not sure
    This is the slight worry, could be the centre partnership and wingers if EOM and DK both not recovered/rested in time. Could predict the lotto easier than the backs next week. :pac:

• Advertisement

Where's D Kearns?

Jaysus yeah I totally forgot about him... :eek:

Thought he would have been a shoe in actually. Some were saying he had a very poor game against Munster A. For as daft as it sounds I hope it's just a dip in form and not another bloody injury! :(

Thought he would have been a shoe in actually. Some were saying he had a very poor game against Munster A. For as daft as it sounds I hope it's just a dip in form and not another bloody injury! :(

Was poor that day, haven't heard of a knock, will try to find out.

Even with the dip in form he's playing better than Conway/Carr. I'd assume it's an injury. If it is, we're up a creek next week, and no danger of a paddle being found....

Very happy with Goodman/Darce partnership. Ideal time to see it test, see if they can gel. Darce still has all the tricks up his sleeves and Goodman has good hands. A few of us were calling it last week. Hope it works. Although a bit of a tight turn around seeing as it's so close to the clermont game.

I reckon we'll see Conway come off if the game is won, with Mads put to FB, Isa to the wing. Carr might also come on for Goodman, with Ferg moving to 12/13.

Even with the dip in form he's playing better than Conway/Carr. I'd assume it's an injury. If it is, we're up a creek next week, and no danger of a paddle being found....

Madigan FB

FmcF/Isa on the Wing

to combat Nalanga/Sivitatu etc
    Sure put SOB out there to smash them for the first 5 minutes :pac::pac::pac:

If they play wing, its gonna be horrible, Carr moreso

Very happy with Goodman/Darce partnership. Ideal time to see it test, see if they can gel. Darce still has all the tricks up his sleeves and Goodman has good hands. A few of us were calling it last week. Hope it works. Although a bit of a tight turn around seeing as it's so close to the clermont game.

I reckon we'll see Conway come off if the game is won, with Mads put to FB, Isa to the wing. Carr might also come on for Goodman, with Ferg moving to 12/13.

Goodman nearly made a nice break last week in horrendous conditions and is lightning and good pass watching Tasman so could be good. CMON Leinster

Anyone doing a match thread?

Anyone doing a match thread?

Just about to start one...

Just about to start one...

Excellent, I look forward to one of your fancy shmancy tables. :P

Excellent, I look forward to one of your fancy shmancy tables. :P

It's all in the presentation....it might take peoples mind off the content...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well it looks like it'll be D'Arcy or McFadden at 13 then, no chance for Macken. I'd still expect it to be McFadden outside D'Arcy unless Goodman has a stormer.

Although that may not be an option without a strong showing from Conway this weekend. I trust him to step up to the plate when it matters though.

Ruddock and KMCL suggests we expect to be able to dominate the possession battle. Should give our half backs some lovely ball to mess around with.

Hopefully Michael Bent enjoys himself

Well it looks like it'll be D'Arcy or McFadden at 13 then, no chance for Macken. I'd still expect it to be McFadden outside D'Arcy unless Goodman has a stormer.

Although that may not be an option without a strong showing from Conway this weekend. I trust him to step up to the plate when it matters though.

Ruddock and KMCL suggests we expect to be able to dominate the possession battle. Should give our half backs some lovely ball to mess around with.

Hopefully Michael Bent enjoys himself

The three players bolded are outside the HEC squad and only one can be added.
    erc rules wrote:
    (iv) each club may select one additional player during the course of the Pool stages. The nominated additional player will replace a registered member of the club's squad and no club will exceed 38 players at any time during the pool stages. The de-registered player may return to the squad at a later date during the pool stages and replace the additional player. Clubs must ensure that the additional player has not been nominated in a match squad with another club for the Heineken Cup or Amlin Challenge Cup tournaments during the current season. The additional player will be eligible to play in the next round of pool matches if his nomination is received by ERC by noon on the Wednesday before the match. The player must have at least a three-month contract with the club. If a additional player is selected by a club after Round 4 and the club subsequently qualifies for a quarter-final, the club will only be allowed to register a further two players for the knock-out stages.

Personally I can't see anyone added other than Bent after his Irish cameos unless he absolutely falls apart or enough players are injured that someone absolutely had to be added

Personally I can't see anyone added other than Bent after his Irish cameos unless he absolutely falls apart or enough players are injured that someone absolutely had to be added

It's actually two allowed to be exchanged. I'll try and find the link.

It's actually two allowed to be exchanged. I'll try and find the link.

rules are here I quoted them above, notice the bolded 'one additional player' although if you could find a link showing otherwise it would be appreciated

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/heinekencup/rules/index.php

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Happy with the squad.

OTHER than Ruddock at 7. Jordi Murphy looks like a serious prospect and yet hasn't started since his MOTM appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

He had a very solid game last week against Glasgow so maybe they're resting him.

rules are here I quoted them above, notice the bolded 'one additional player' although if you could find a link showing otherwise it would be appreciated

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/heinekencup/rules/index.php

Yeah I've seen that. But ERC have also quoted two players... I remembering reading it when Olly Barkely was nominated for a squad addition in Racing. Apparently it's two, but one must be a front row. I'll try and find out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

See I don't get the logic here. Like, the Leinster management have known for ages that O'Malley would likely miss most of the pool stages, why wasn't Goodman registered ahead of him? Or were they ever likely to call on Martin Moore for a HC game, should they not have registered Bent instead?

Edit: yes I know this is all hindsight but still.

Well most people would've assumed Moore/Sexton would make way for Bent and Luke Mcgrath would make way for Goodman. Keeping the seats warm, as it were...

• Advertisement

See I don't get the logic here. Like, the Leinster management have known for ages that O'Malley would likely miss most of the pool stages, why wasn't Goodman registered ahead of him? Or were they ever likely to call on Martin Moore for a HC game, should they not have registered Bent instead?

Edit: yes I know this is all hindsight but still.
    You have to be a properly registered member of the club to fit the squad, Bent and Goodman hadn't arrived yet.

EOM was supposed to be back for this match.
    erc rules wrote:
    (i) each club shall nominate a squad of up to 38 players. A minimum of 10 of the players nominated by the club must be capable of playing in front row forward positions. All players must, from the date specified by ERC, be fully and properly registered with their club and Union and available to play for the club from that date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement