Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden County Trophy

• 06-01-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when this starts, i just joined druid's heath and hear its a good competition and serves as a good warm up to the Barton Cup which I will also be new to as i joined from a munster club. Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Don't know anything about the Garden County Trophy but presume it's an inter club competition something like the Barton Cup. As such if you've just after joining Druid's Heath do you not have to be with your club for at least a year before you're eligible to play interclub competitions? Actually maybe it's just a case that you need to hold a valid GUI handicap for at least a year before one is eligible to play interclub competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

Don't know anything about the Garden County Trophy but presume it's an inter club competition something like the Barton Cup. As such if you've just after joining Druid's Heath do you not have to be with your club for at least a year before you're eligible to play interclub competitions? Actually maybe it's just a case that you need to hold a valid GUI handicap for at least a year before one is eligible to play interclub competitions?

It depends on the competition but generally, you only have had to play four qualifying competitions the previous year in a club in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Think its just a valid GUI handicap Collossus. Think the Garden County Trophy is same format as barton cup for Wicklow clubs. Sounds like good craic and will hopefully get to know some members from playing in it (if i get picked)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Yep, same format as Barton Cup and for South Dublin and Wicklow teams.

Whyner wrote: »
    Yep, same format as Barton Cup and for South Dublin and Wicklow teams.

Thanks, Any idea when it starts??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Not sure, but I reckon w/e of Jan 21st. I'm sure someone else will confirm.

Whyner wrote: »
    Not sure, but I reckon w/e of Jan 21st. I'm sure someone else will confirm.

Cheers Whyner, u playing in it yourself? i'm looking forward to getting back into some competitive interclub golf after a couple of years without it

• Registered Users Posts: 21 fordbrian21

Are first match is Saturday the 28, not sure if the other games start the week before...

Are first match is Saturday the 28, not sure if the other games start the week before...

Cheers Brian, what club are u with?

i'll have to figure out who's in charge of the DH team so i can get involved

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Hacker111

Its on Feb/March.. i played last year .... its a warm up and team selction comp for Barton (which is one of the top comps as far as I can see). We play Druids on 25th Feb, first match is 12th for Wicklow v. Woodenbridge. Its a good inter club thats not taken too seriously, its all about Barton;)

• Advertisement

Redzah wrote: »
    Cheers Brian, what club are u with?

i'll have to figure out who's in charge of the DH team so i can get involved

not sure how DH works, ur usually just asked in Wicklow if your interested to be on a panel for selection.... each club is different though... might be hard if its ur first year in the club to breakthrough...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 fordbrian21

I'm a member in arklow,ya it's a good warm up for the Barton,its nice to get a few games before the first round....

Hacker111 wrote: »
    Its on Feb/March.. i played last year .... its a warm up and team selction comp for Barton (which is one of the top comps as far as I can see). We play Druids on 25th Feb, first match is 12th for Wicklow v. Woodenbridge. Its a good inter club thats not taken too seriously, its all about Barton;)

Cheers hacker, hope to see u on 25th of February.

Any idea when the draw for Barton/PP are made by GUI?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I've seen them out in the first week in Jan so it seems late this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Anybody know what clubs are in the comp this year and what groups they are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭airguitar

Anybody know what clubs are in the comp this year and what groups they are in?

Group 1
    Arklow
    Druids Heath
    Kilcoole
    Wicklow
    Woodenbridge

Group 2
    Blessington Lakes
    Coolattin
    Killerig
    South County
    Tulfarris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Rathsallagh are one of the ones to have left the competition. I heard, however true it is, they felt that in the early season, losing matches wasn't helping the teams confidence. It's an interesting point. The theory obviously being that you're highly unlikely to get a properly motivated and sharp team in February, and so won't do yourself justice.

Of course, everyone's in the same boat, but some clubs have key guys who take the winter off, and others don't. Sure we'll see.

Tulfarris will be an interesting addition. Good win for their Barton team over Milltown in R1 last year.

Rathsallagh are one of the ones to have left the competition. I heard, however true it is, they felt that in the early season, losing matches wasn't helping the teams confidence. It's an interesting point. The theory obviously being that you're highly unlikely to get a properly motivated and sharp team in February, and so won't do yourself justice.

Of course, everyone's in the same boat, but some clubs have key guys who take the winter off, and others don't. Sure we'll see.

Tulfarris will be an interesting addition. Good win for their Barton team over Milltown in R1 last year.

I played for Wicklow last year in GC.. we were tanked by everyone bar Glenmalure.. then we went the farthest in Barton! Unlucky to lose 3/2 to Delgany in Leinster Q/F...

I think by playing the early GC games you can quickly work out good pairings and who does play well in such comptitions/formats

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I nearly shudder at the thought of social golf early in the season, let alone competitive stuff :) I know I wouldn't get a look in if it were based on February golf for me but it is interesting to have a bit more exposure to the general format of foursomes matchplay.

• Advertisement

Blessington Lakes Fixtures so far
    4th Feb v Tulfarris
    11th v Killerig
    18th v South County

airguitar wrote: »
    Blessington Lakes Fixtures so far
    4th Feb v Tulfarris
    11th v Killerig
    18th v South County

Saturday's match between South County and Killerig has been postponed until 3 March

South County 3
    Tulfarris 3

Any other matches today?

Druids heath V Kilcoole was postponed as Kilcoole was unplayable. The was a suggestion to play all 6 matches in DH but Kilcoole rejected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Druids heath V Kilcoole was postponed as Kilcoole was unplayable. The was a suggestion to play all 6 matches in DH but Kilcoole rejected it.

As far as I know, the competition rules are that when one course is on, all six games go there. It happens most years for one or two fixtures.

Yes, it's rough on the other club, but it reduces match call-offs, and after all, the whole idea is just to get out for some BC practice.

I could be wrong, but on the face of it it seems like bad form by Kilcoole.

In a similar situation two seasons ago, Blessington Lakes called their course "on", despite the greens being flooded. This was to stop all six matches going to the opponent's course, which was South County.

It's a shame, as it's a great competition, but this kind of nonsense makes a farce of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

As far as I know, the competition rules are that when one course is on, all six games go there. It happens most years for one or two fixtures.

Yes, it's rough on the other club, but it reduces match call-offs, and after all, the whole idea is just to get out for some BC practice.

In a similar situation two seasons ago, Blessington Lakes called their course "on", despite the greens being flooded. This was to stop all six matches going to the opponent's course, which was South County.

It's a shame, as it's a great competition, but this kind of nonsense makes a farce of it.

I would agree and thought the exact same. There's being competitive and there's being unreasonable. It's only February ffs. It's not the Barton Cup and is 'supposed' to be a more casual matchplay competition as warm up/experimentation for B.C. even though that's not written anywhere.

I would wager most other clubs would have happily agreed to 6 away if their course was closed.

Last year Wicklow had to play all 6 away to Kilcoole! Due to a double booking by Wicklow the GC fixtures had to be changed....unfortunately Kilcoole were not very flexible and pushed for all 6 at their place which they duly won.... Kilcoole's focus on the GC seems skewed....

Hacker111 wrote: »
    Last year Wicklow had to play all 6 away to Kilcoole! Due to a double booking by Wicklow the GC fixtures had to be changed....unfortunately Kilcoole were not very flexible and pushed for all 6 at their place which they duly won.... Kilcoole's focus on the GC seems skewed....

Seems strange that they place such importance on this. I wasn't involved last saturday when it was due to take place but from what i heard the majority of their team were happy to play all 6 in DH but their team manager/captain rejected it. Any Kilcoole members out there want to give their version as I am a DH member and may have heard a biased version??

Seems strange that they place such importance on this. I wasn't involved last saturday when it was due to take place but from what i heard the majority of their team were happy to play all 6 in DH but their team manager/captain rejected it. Any Kilcoole members out there want to give their version as I am a DH member and may have heard a biased version??

lol, yea...Wicklow put more focus on getting the society out rather than the GC games! Money first..... 40 hungry golfers please

• Advertisement

Your post is pure nonsense Sheet, I played against South County in that match 2 years ago and the match was played both home and away. I think the guys we played against were called Conor and Ronan, out match finished all square.

Advertisement