Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Burren

Options
  • 20-03-2015 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi

With this new nice warm weather I'm going to visit the Burren for the first time on Sat with my wife and pooch for a walk.

I live in Sixmilebridge, where is the closest or best area to visit?

I'll also be paying a visit to the Burren Smokehouse.

Anywhere else worth visiting?

I've searched Google but I reckon the Boardsies will be better qualified to answer :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There's a lovely trail near Carron and Mullaghmore. it's very accessable to anyone of any age and fully marked out so it's almost impossible to get lost.

Basically, head through Corofin and turn at the first right turn just before Kilnaboy church and drive for about 4 or 5 kms until you get to Mullaghmore crossroads. (you won't miss it, there's a big layby) There are trails leading off from here in a few different directions depending on what kind of a walk you would like.

If you want to go for a longer hike, my favourite place in the Burren is Black Head. You can park near the lighthouse and do a nice circular trail that covers several peaks and some really lovely views. You should probably pick up a discovery series map and plan out a route that fits into how much time you have available.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Akrasia wrote: »
    There's a lovely trail near Carron and Mullaghmore. it's very accessable to anyone of any age and fully marked out so it's almost impossible to get lost.

Basically, head through Corofin and turn at the first right turn just before Kilnaboy church and drive for about 4 or 5 kms until you get to Mullaghmore crossroads. (you won't miss it, there's a big layby) There are trails leading off from here in a few different directions depending on what kind of a walk you would like.

If you want to go for a longer hike, my favourite place in the Burren is Black Head. You can park near the lighthouse and do a nice circular trail that covers several peaks and some really lovely views. You should probably pick up a discovery series map and plan out a route that fits into how much time you have available.

Thanks, I'll head up this way tomorrow.

Hopefully the nice weather holds out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The Burren Perfumery in Carron http://www.burrenperfumery.com/ is well worth a visit, lovely gardens and the views from that area are great too, especially if you continue on up the hill.
    Haven't visited it myself yet but have heard a lot of good things about Hazel Mountain Chocolatier (a little further on towards Galway) http://www.hazelmountainchocolate.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Western_sean

The Tim Robinson map is also a good one for anyone planning to do some hiking in the area you can find it here. Most tourist centres in the area will probably stock it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Had a really nice walk up Mulloughmore Sat morning the the sunshine.

It took a little longer than I though so the perfumery and smokehouse will have to be visited another day.

So scenic and nice and quiet.

Thanks for recommending :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement