Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any new British comedies...

Options
  • 01-07-2006 7:45am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭

... in the last six months or so. I've been away, so am behind with the funniness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

The IT Crowd is alright. I have seen 3 episodes from Channel 4. It's about a small IT department in a UK office. It wouldn't be the greatest comedy and is a bit obvious with it's humour but it's the only thing i can think of at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saxondale on BBC2 episode 3 is next Monday 10 pm. Extras is back soon.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Steve Coogan's new series Saxondale has just started. Episode 3 is on Monday.

First episode was good, but not laugh out funny, but the second episode was very good.

The main character used to be a roadie, and is now a pest controller with anger management issues.

Some can't stand it but I always watch QI saturday 9.50 pm.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The IT crowd is utter crap, avoid at all costs.

• Advertisement

Yep. QI is brilliant. Especially if Bill Bailey is on it.

There is a new panel show called Never Mind the Full Stops, which is all about mistakes in the English Language... If the Spellczechs forum had a TV show, this would be it. You need BBC 4 to see it though.

Rob Brydon has a new panel show coming to BBC 3 soon too.

The IT crowd is utter crap, avoid at all costs.

No its not!

Mike.

The IT Crowd had it's moments. Some of the really silly stuff in it will remind you of Father Ted.

It just wasn't as great as it could have been.

If you've never seen The Mighty Boosh, that's really great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

The IT Crowd had it's moments. Some of the really silly stuff in it will remind you of Father Ted.

It just wasn't as great as it could have been.

If you've never seen The Mighty Boosh, that's really great too.
    thoroughly agree on IT crowds mediocreness, never really delivered, and heavily agree on QI. don't understand half of it, but nearly wet myself laughing at it. loved the one where stephen fry and alan davies switched chairs for the last round once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I agree with that, Didn't find IT crowd funny at all. QI is excellent though, I thought the BBC had wrung dry the panel quiz format with increasingly poor copies of HIGNFY until QI came along.

IT crowd is being repeated on e4 later this month:

SITCOM: The IT Crowd
    Channel: E4
    Date: Thursday 13th July 2006
    Time: 22:00 to 22:30 (starting in 12 days)
    Duration: 30 minutes.
    Yesterday's Jam. Series 1, episode 1.
    The unloved, ignored, socially-awkward Roy and Moss make up the I.T. department of Reynholm Industries. Their world is shattered by the arrival of a new "relationship manager", Jen, a young woman who knows as much about computers as your average 17th-century farmer.
    Starring: Chris O'Dowd, Richard Ayoade
    (Subtitles, 3 Star)

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=629
    Copyright GipsyMedia Ltd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

QI ad Saxondale look like a good bet. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

QI is fantastic.. caught 'Saxondale' last week and wasn't too impressed!

Steve Coogan hasn't been funny in a long long time! :(

basquille wrote:
    QI is fantastic.. caught 'Saxondale' last week and wasn't too impressed!

Steve Coogan hasn't been funny in a long long time! :(
    Did you not see 'A Cock and Bull Story'? It was very funny.. although Rob Brydon got most of the laughs.

Did you not see 'A Cock and Bull Story'? It was very funny.. although Bob Brydon got most of the laughs.
    Prefer Rob Brydon anyways.. very funny man!

He's a new show starting on BBC3 i think too. Something like Annually Retentive or something like that!

basquille wrote:
    Prefer Rob Brydon anyways.. very funny man!

He's a new show starting on BBC3 i think too. Something like Annually Retentive or something like that!
    D'oh!

The promo doesn't give very much away though, does it?

Coogan and Brydon did a TV movie for BBC once that was very funny as well called Cruise of the Gods. In it the two of them were stars in a childrens science fiction series in the 70's with Brydon as the lead... and now in modern times Coogan is a big star in the US and Brydon works in a hotel, and to try and raise his profile he goes to a fan convetion for the show on a cruise ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

watch the first ep of the new sitcom from the makers of frasier

out of practice, it was ****....

frasier was bit tepid also but this is terrible

I like how I met your mother though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

I like how I met your mother though...
    steady now.

steady now.
    Seconded... HIMYM is ghastly stuff!

Only good new comedy this year in the States worth it's salt is 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia' (just started Season 2 last week) and of course 'My Name Is Earl'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I dunno the brunette is nice to look at,
    there a very low threshold for sitcomes so HIMYM is ok

I really liking watching will and grace, it is very sharp although I can't stand the woman who's chest ribs you can see

I really liking watching will and grace, it is very sharp although I can't stand the woman who's chest ribs you can see
    Oh dear God.. you cannot mention *THAT* show in a thread with "comedies" in the title - now you've thrown off the space-time continium for good!

• Advertisement

Just watched the first two Saxondales back-to-back, good! Great character portrait from Steve Coogan and plenty of silly humour. I hope Jeremy Clarkson saw the joke in episdoe two. :)

Mike.

Advertisement