Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best way to stream movies etc from computer to tv

Options
  • 31-12-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi All
    Happy new year to all !!!
    what would be the best way to stream movies from my computer upstairs to my tv ?
    Detail
    Samung tv with port to connect cat5 cable and behind that is my Eircom F1000 router to which i have a cat5 cable running to another router up stairs ( f1000 as well) and from that acat5 to computer, walls block wireless up stairs for some reason. i have the two routers with the exact setup as each other as i was helped by you guys, my BB speed averages 80 mbs.
    i do use a hard drive plugged in to a usb on the tv which some times gives me trouble saying " unsupported format" but usually fine.am tight on budget but could go to 100 euros
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Samsung have an app that runs on the PC that should allow you to share movies with the TV. I've used it the past.

Try here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I don't know if it's the best way but I use a small Android box on my network.

You can read about them here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93633104

Once it's on your LAN you can connect it to shares on your PC to play movies / music / pictures from your shares.

You can also play video from your phone & the internet but that's not in your question and is a small bit more complicated. You should be able to get a decent box less than €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Ever consider a Chromecast?

You can cast your entire PC screen using the Chrome Add-on ("Cast" I think its called).

Works a treat for me with Skygo. Cast skygo from PC to TV flawlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭flutered

is a cable option a no go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Ever consider a Chromecast?

You can cast your entire PC screen using the Chrome Add-on ("Cast" I think its called).

Works a treat for me with Skygo. Cast skygo from PC to TV flawlessly

how did you get your chromecast to work with sky go? mine doesnt let me play anything from it, some sort of block on it, which makes sense being sky charge for multi-room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Check out Plex. Server runs on the PC. Client is available for newer Samsung smart TVs. It's awesome. Plays most formats and is free.

how did you get your chromecast to work with sky go? mine doesnt let me play anything from it, some sort of block on it, which makes sense being sky charge for multi-room.

Simple,

Cast entire PC screen. Open Sky Go in Chrome. Click to open the pop-up player. Copy and paste the URL from the player into a new tab in Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Simple,

Cast entire PC screen. Open Sky Go in Chrome. Click to open the pop-up player. Copy and paste the URL from the player into a new tab in Chrome.

must try that !, cheers. I mainly use sky go on my phone, haven't even got it on my laptop, so it must be blocked only from handheld devices.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i lovewine

going to give the Samsung link a go, will update u guys on how it went tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Interesting101

Cast entire PC screen.

Sorry to jump on this thread but i tried Plex the other night with chromecast and it kept freezing / buffering. i only have dongle wi/fi so its probably due to that.

Just wondering what does Cast entire PC screen me above ?

If you could cast the entire screen you could just watch movies via a media player and not need plex? I thought you can only cast items from within the chrome browser window?

Seems to be how my works anyway

• Advertisement

Sorry to jump on this thread but i tried Plex the other night with chromecast and it kept freezing / buffering. i only have dongle wi/fi so its probably due to that.

Just wondering what does Cast entire PC screen me above ?

If you could cast the entire screen you could just watch movies via a media player and not need plex? I thought you can only cast items from within the chrome browser window?

Seems to be how my works anyway

When you connect to your chromecast in Chrome, there is a little arrow to the right pointing down. Click that, then a drop down menu appears. Select cast entire screen(experimental). Job done.

Just Google cast Entire PC screen to chromecast using Chrome. It will explain the steps I've just explained in a bit more detail

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Interesting101

When you connect to your chromecast in Chrome, there is a little arrow to the right pointing down. Click that, then a drop down menu appears. Select cast entire screen(experimental). Job done.

/QUOTE]

Thanks BobbyT,

Turns out i dont see that because im using Windows Vista which isnt supported but you can get it to work, but only work with sharing the browser window.

As an aside an alternative to using Plex is an app on Chrome store called Videostream where you can just select the video file on your pc to play. You dont need to upload the video file to application like Plex. (just some info people may find helpful)

Hi All
    Could not get Samsung Link to work so used Serviio as one poster said, works great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Just like to add this since its a do it yourself area , I use raspberry Pi's in all my rooms , they cost 30 notes a pop and you can use any smart phone in the house with an app to act as remote control, they can stream from any smb share (Windows shared folders) or the really cool stuff is gotten from Kodi formerly known as XBMC and you can google how to install xfinity repositories . With the Xfinity plugin you can then watch over 25 uk tv channels and receive tv channels from all over the world via a plugin called NotFilmOn , additionally there is a great secondary plugin called cartoon network HD 2 - the name is misleading as its not only cartoons (Great for the kids) it also has top imdb 250 movies sections as well as all the top current tv shows from the US, all of this in HD of course and its great for taking on hols to areas with foreign lanuage TV as its only the size of a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ancapallliath

adding my tuppence...

a few years back i started streaming using HDMI cable directly from laptop to tv

i needed extra storage so bough a terabyte external hard drive and then played directly via USB to tv

i dabbled in using twonky for a while but eventually I bought an android box with xbmc and havent looked back since. i use this for all my streaming now.
    i only need it in 1 room though so works out fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Ye the new Arm processor boxes still retail at around 80 notes fully loaded , plus with pi you truly get to do it all yourself .
    the android boxes are an excellent solution i only shy away from the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ancapallliath

dbit wrote: »
    Ye the new Arm processor boxes still retail at around 80 notes fully loaded , plus with pi you truly get to do it all yourself .
    the android boxes are an excellent solution i only shy away from the cost.

it took me a while to eventually "invest" but can say in the end it was worth it

defo going tp look in to this .sounds prefect !!!!
    Thanks dBit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I have to mention Plex again. I'm away with the kids for Easter and I have Plex Home Theatre on my work laptop streaming full HD to the hotel TV over the complementary wifi. No hassle configuring and no arguments over what to watch.

And RasPlex is available on the Pi.

Advertisement