Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Just heard! :(

i hope he pulls through....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Hope he is ok :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hope he is ok. Hate seeing the words serious and head injury in the same sentence:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Sky News just reported he as concious and shocked, and was wearing a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Just reported on Sky Sports News that he didn't loose consciousness which is a huge relief I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

Being reported now that he hit a rock but was wearing a helmet. Hopefully the helmet done its job and the injury isnt as serious as was first reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

rizzodun wrote: »
    Sky News just reported he as concious and shocked, and was wearing a helmet.

Doesn't sound so bad... Anyone know if Damon Hill was in the vicinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

smcgiff wrote: »

or ala spa perhaps coulthard was holding him up....

but in all seriousness hope its nothing to bad GWS schumi

The fact that the damage isn't bad would suggest it was Villeneuve.

As I said in the General Discussion thread, if it's just a knock that didn't even knock him out then I find the reporting on it pretty irresponsible with BREAKING NEWS everywhere about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He was, but was 2 laps down in the yellow Jordan.

Glad to hear his injury seems to be non serious, obviously still has that need for speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Good to see it might not be as serious as initially reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Do the police look into every skiing accident? :eek: May not have been too far wrong with my DH quip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Breaking news --- Hamilton has to take a year off from racing due to going deaf from going to the x-factor finals...

On topic...glad to hear (well read about) that schumie is grand..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

As I said in the General Discussion thread, if it's just a knock that didn't even knock him out then I find the reporting on it pretty irresponsible with BREAKING NEWS everywhere about it.

In fairness, it is Sky News. What else would you expect really

P_1 wrote: »
    In fairness, it is Sky News. What else would you expect really

BBC had it on their front page too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Skiing off piste? Silly boy. Should never drink and ski.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

BBC had it on their front page too.

And RTE.ie and the journal, sites that normally never mention F1.

Hope he's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

"serious but not life threatening" according to James Allen on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Do the police look into every skiing accident? :eek: May not have been too far wrong with my DH quip.

i think the reason they do take it so seriously is to avoid another case like this one with Natasha Richardson
    On 16 March 2009, Richardson sustained a head injury when she fell while taking a beginner skiing lesson at the Mont Tremblant Resort in Quebec, Canada about 80 miles (130 km) from Montreal. The injury was followed by a lucid interval, when Richardson seemed to be fine and was able to talk and act normally. Paramedics and an ambulance which initially responded to the accident were told they were not needed and left.

Refusing medical attention twice, she returned to her hotel room and about three hours later was taken to a local hospital in Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts after complaining of a headache. She was transferred from there by ambulance to Hôpital du Sacré-Cœur, Montreal, in critical condition and was admitted about seven hours after the fall. The following day she was flown to Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, where she died on 18 March at the age of 45. An autopsy conducted by the New York City Medical Examiners Office on 19 March revealed the cause of death was an "epidural hematoma due to blunt impact to the head", and her death was ruled an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Seemingly in the last hour it's changed to life threatening, hope he pulls through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Seemingly in the last hour it's changed to life threatening, hope he pulls through.

Any source on that? Hoping it's not true.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Any source on that? Hoping it's not true.

It's in French.

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/12/29/meribel-michael-schumacher-victime-d-un-accident-de-ski

I don't have a translation of it, just going by what has been said on reddit about the info in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nothing new on sky news yet

I know it's not the best source but for what it's worth The Daily Mail has changed their article with the updated seriousness with info from the French article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2530681/BREAKING-NEWS-Former-F1-champion-racing-driver-Michael-Schumacher-suffers-head-injuries-skiing-accident.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I was expecting this unfortunately.

I know Sky sensationalise things but usually stories are downgraded fairly quickly after they have broken the news if that news doesn't have legs as such. When they left that up all day I began to suspect there was unreported issues in the background. It didn't make sense to have that story as the lead all day. :(

I was expecting this unfortunately.

I know Sky sensationalise things but usually stories are downgraded fairly quickly after they have broken the news if that news doesn't have legs as such. When they left that up all day I began to suspect there was unreported issues in the background. It didn't make sense to have that story as the lead all day. :(

To be honest I'm still not convinced of the legitimacy of the info, hoping it's bollocks as it still hasn't been picked up by any reputable sources.

Brain haemorrhage according to someone who can read French.

• Advertisement

To be honest I'm still not convinced of the legitimacy of the info, hoping it's bollocks as it still hasn't been picked up by any reputable sources.

http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/info/557795/schumacher-victime-d-un-accident-ski/ This is where it originated. They seem legit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFM_TV

EDIT: BBC site says the expert who arrived recently is a mate of his and Todt's which is probably a good sign.

Advertisement