Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WRC/ERC/Irish & British Rallying 2014 - News and Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Robbo wrote: »
    Notwithstanding that Neuville binned it early in SS1, the Hyundai's running well in Bouffier's hands. Meeke up to second after an inspired tyre choice in SS3, this is a proper Monte classic already.

Also none of the VWs are having a particularly good time of it so that's great for the championship.

Bouffier is actually in a Fiesta with M-Sport. Dani doing a decent job in the Hyundai though.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

h3000 wrote: »
    Bouffier is actually in a Fiesta with M-Sport. Dani doing a decent job in the Hyundai though.
    Ah, that'll be the lack of coffee so far today.

That being said, Sordo's going well enough in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mjhickeyie

Looked good on tv tonight. Great to see so many new drivers doing well.

Ogier has really picked up his pace this afternoon and looks set to catch the leaders but the weather tomorrow will through up plenty more surprises.

Big test for Meeke now to try and get a good finish after again showing he has the speed at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Kubica crashed out as i predicted he would... I know he has many new and old fans but i just dont like the guy, he over-drives the cars and not in a McRae style.
    Its easy to see why people like him but to me its a waste of another seat at Rallyings top table

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Think of it that he is bringing money to pay for Evans seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

barney 20v wrote: »
    Kubica crashed out as i predicted he would... I know he has many new and old fans but i just dont like the guy, he over-drives the cars and not in a McRae style.
    Its easy to see why people like him but to me its a waste of another seat at Rallyings top table

From what we have seen of Kubica so far he is very similar to Latvala. He is fast but will crash too much to compete for championships. You have to remember Kubica was a Formula 1 driver which is a very different sport. The fact that he is competitive shows how well he has adapted. Just look at the much slower pace Hirvonen is setting in the same car on the first two days.

Really great Monte Carlo. I won't give the results just yet. BT coverage was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mjhickeyie

Anybody know why motors tv are not showing the rally at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

recyclebin wrote: »
    From what we have seen of Kubica so far he is very similar to Latvala. He is fast but will crash too much to compete for championships. You have to remember Kubica was a Formula 1 driver which is a very different sport. The fact that he is competitive shows how well he has adapted. Just look at the much slower pace Hirvonen is setting in the same car on the first two days.

Kubica has more than adapted to rallying since recovering from his crash & has proved his winning capabilities...
    from here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kubica

Since his return to good health he has stated that a return to Formula One would be "nearly impossible" because of his injury.[1][5]

Kubica returned to racing in September 2012, winning a minor rally in Italy.[6][7] Kubica was named one of "The Men of the Year 2012" by Top Gear magazine for his return. In 2013, he drove for Citroën in the European and World Rally-2 Championships.[8][9] He went on to win the inaugural WRC-2 title, he will move to the championship full-time in 2014, driving a Ford Fiesta RS WRC prepared by M-Sport.[10]

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Its a bit early to be saying that, Kubica came from a completely different sport, he is now in his second full season of rallying (at any level let alone world championship) and in his second rally in a wrc car he led the event then consistently trounced the "works" drivers.

Yes he crashed out but he has the speed, give the lad a chance to become consistent, have a look at the results from Oiger's first WRC season in the C4, even he threw the thing of the road on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Care to elaborate on who Kubica is depriving of a seat? To my mind, he's bringing money and profile with him that allows M-Sport to run a full effort in the absence of the Qatar money this year. Moreover, his pace on the Monte and win in Austria show that he's more than capable of competing at this level.

Funny how whenever McRae bent a car it was entertaining but when a lesser "character" does it, it's a waste of machinery and money. It was a different era and I suspect if he was around these days, he wouldn't have made it past year 2, Latvala being an outlier in this respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Kubica is pretty much paying for Evans seat so its great he is in a ford helping a young lad get into the sport.

In fairness I think Kubica has a lot of potential and some wins in him. I was not too sure about him at first he seemed to throw it off the road far to easy but he has scaled that back an auful lot. It's a lot easier for a driver to scale back from 105% to 100% than to get from 95% to 100%. He is a smart guy I think he will sort it.

As said above he is bringing extra attention and money into the WRC and that is very important right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tommytipp

There's more than a touch of the Toivonen about Kubica as a rally driver. Only knows one speed, he was very lucky to not have a more serious accident in the Canaries last year. The speed and talent is there without any doubt but he neeeds to temper it a bit.

Breen's motor for Rally Sweden.

Really nice livery

Bev2J33IUAACr74.jpg:large
    Bev3e_OIgAAqUyy.jpg:large

Rally Sweden just about to kick off. SS1 Super Special now live on BT Sport for any who has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Great watching the super special on TV again.

Hope the lads have a steady weekend, not expecting top times but a finish would be good. Really like Breens feista. Anyone know where i could get high res photos of it other than his twitter account

wobbles wrote: »
    Great watching the super special on TV again.

Hope the lads have a steady weekend, not expecting top times but a finish would be good. Really like Breens feista. Anyone know where i could get high res photos of it other than his twitter account

Great to have proper TV coverage again.

There a few pics here, I'm sure more will pop up over the weekend.

Great to have proper TV coverage again.

There a few pics here, I'm sure more will pop up over the weekend.

Thanks for the link. I make models and want to make one of his car if he has a good event

Thanks for the link. I make models and want to make one of his car if he has a good event

Ah cool. If I see any more detailed pics over the weekend I'll post links. I think this car looks great alright. Do you sell the models you make?

• Advertisement

Times after day 1 in Sweden

Pos Car No Driver Eligibility Time Diff Prev Diff 1st
    1. 1 OGIER M 39:56.5 0 0
    2. 9 MIKKELSEN T 40:02.3 +5.8 +5.8
    3. 2 LATVALA M 40:08.7 +6.4 +12.2
    4. 11 TANAK 40:11.3 +2.6 +14.8
    5. 4 ØSTBERG M 40:19.0 +7.7 +22.5
    6. 5 HIRVONEN M 40:19.0 +0.0 +22.5
    7. 7 NEUVILLE M 40:28.5 +9.5 +32.0
    8. 8 HÄNNINEN M 40:38.5 +10.0 +42.0
    9. 15 TIDEMAND 40:41.1 +2.6 +44.6
    10. 3 MEEKE M 40:43.1 +2.0 +46.6
    11. 10 KUBICA T 40:56.4 +13.3 +59.9
    12. 6 EVANS M 41:07.7 +11.3 +1:11.2
    13. 16 SOLBERG 41:20.5 +12.8 +1:24.0
    14. 17 BREEN 41:27.5 +7.0 +1:31.0
    15. 14 M. SOLOWOW 42:40.4 +1:12.9 +2:43.9

Ah cool. If I see any more detailed pics over the weekend I'll post links. I think this car looks great alright. Do you sell the models you make?

Im just coming to the end of a run of 20 models and while they sold very well, it gets mind numbingly boring doing so many of the same model. Im concentrating on one off builds now for drivers etc as well as my own collection. Of course ill sell decals of some of the builds for my own collection but dont think id do another large run of models.

Back to the rally, is there a list of times where they are showing the rally on BTSport.

Im just coming to the end of a run of 20 models and while they sold very well, it gets mind numbingly boring doing so many of the same model. Im concentrating on one off builds now for drivers etc as well as my own collection. Of course ill sell decals of some of the builds for my own collection but dont think id do another large run of models.
    Cool, you'll have to post a pic or two of your rally collection :)
    Back to the rally, is there a list of times where they are showing the rally on BTSport.
    This is for the live stages
    BfuhAHrIgAAo7HU.jpg

Not too sure on the times of the review shows, will check when I get home.

Just found the times actually
    Tonight @9 BT Sport 2
    Tomorrow 7th @11:30 BT Sport 2
    Saturday 8th @10:30 BT Sport 1

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭seanskyline

Hi all i have missed the first to rallys of this year and I heard that BT sport have the rights this year for it. I am with UPC does anyone know if satanta are going to showing it too or do i need to fork out another €20 a month to upc for the BT sport channel??

Thanks for the help.

Hi all i have missed the first to rallys of this year and I heard that BT sport have the rights this year for it. I am with UPC does anyone know if satanta are going to showing it too or do i need to fork out another €20 a month to upc for the BT sport channel??

Thanks for the help.

You can also watch highlights programs on MotorsTV (& ITV4 I think). BT Sport only for the live stages.

You can also watch highlights programs on MotorsTV (& ITV4 I think). BT Sport only for the live stages.
    If you're with UPC, they block the transmission for the WRC and BTCC on ITV4. The bastards.

Robbo wrote: »
    If you're with UPC, they block the transmission for the WRC and BTCC on ITV4. The bastards.

That's not nice now is it. Is MotorsTV available on UPC?

I have BT Sport myself and I'm really enjoying the coverage. I'm a big MotoGP fan too so I said I'd treat myself.

Meeke was very unlucky with his spin the weekend, he is taking a real good approach to his rallying at the moment. If there was a few more spectators around he would have got out of the snow bank much quicker.

Breen showed some nice speed from time to time too, pretty impressive performance for the first competitive test in a WRC. He can be a little inconsistent with his pace for the last while. Hopefully now that he has a more permanent co-driver his speed might pick up again. I'm interested to see how the 208 T16 works out.

Setanta showed highlights last year but not sure on this year. They may not since BTsport is part of their package. No motors tv on UPC at all and itv4 block it.

I use an app called FilmOn to get itv4 as it uses the british feed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭seanskyline

Yea looks like BT sport is the only real option. Hay i found this site that streams the BT sport channel live for free. Not exactly HD but will have to do :D

http://cricfree.tv/bt-sport-1.php

Advertisement