Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WRC/ERC/Irish & British Rallying 2014 - News and Chat

Options
  • 05-12-2013 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

So there has been a bit of news in rallying news over the last few days, I think it's time for the 2014 thread.

Just going to quote some of Robbo's post from the 2013 thread.
    Robbo wrote: »
    And so the driver lineups begin to materialise:

VW: Ogier, Latvala, Mikkelsen
    Hyundai: Neuville, Hanninen (partial campaign), Sordo (likely)
    Ford: Hirvonen, Kubica (Ford have applied for a dispensation to run a modified paddle shift which points to Kubica driving)

Citroen aren't announcing anything until December 16th and it could well be Meeke and Ostberg.
    Motorsport News this week has a story that Toyota are building a Yaris to evaluate a return to the WRC.

Some new rules for next years start orders.
    I'm not too impressed with it to be honest.
    FIA wrote:
    The start order for both gravel and tarmac rallies has been amended as follows, in order to increase the show for fans and reduce the use of tactics:

Day 1: Provisional Championship classification order for P1 and P2 drivers
    Day 2: Reverse provisional rally classification order for P1 and P2 drivers
    Day 3: Reverse provisional rally classification order for P1 and P2 drivers

Cars having retired and restarting (Rally 2) will be placed the next day after the P1 and P2 drivers group.

In order to allow greater flexibility to contract different drivers, manufacturers will no longer be required to nominate one permanent driver for the season. Instead, manufacturers will be obliged to nominate one driver for a minimum of 10 Championship events.

To bring consistency to events and thereby aid the Promoter, rallies must now follow a fixed format. There will be a ceremonial start on Thursday, with the last stage run on Sunday at approximately 12:00 hrs for European events. The final stage is defined as the Power Stage, the length of which will be set at a minimum of 10 kilometres.

All competitors registered in the Championships – WRC, WRC 2, WRC 3 and Junior WRC - will be obliged to use a colour-coded windscreen sticker to promote and identify the category in which they are competing and scoring points.

It was agreed to rename all classes of eligible cars in order to harmonise the numbering with the other FIA Championships. Therefore, the smaller number will define the most powerful cars (RC1 being World Rally Cars).

Permanent competition numbers will no longer be allocated to P3 drivers competing in the support championships. Drivers wishing to request a permanent number for marketing or promotional purposes will however be able to do so. The restriction on the number of servicing personnel has also been removed and testing during the three weeks preceding an event is now permitted for P3 drivers.

The date for the 2014 Rally d’Italia has changed to 08 June.

I will try to add some more to the thread over the next day or so.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Toyota to start testing a WRC spec Yaris in 2014 to compete in 2015

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111749

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The ERC will have a teams championship from 2014 too. With a bit of luck we may see some new teams committing to a championship.
    FIA wrote:
    In order to increase the presence of professional teams, new titles have been created in the FIA European Rally Championship; the FIA ERC Manufacturers’ Cup, the FIA ERC Manufacturers’ Cup for 2WD Cars, and the FIA ERC Manufacturers’ Cup for Production Cars. The best two cars of each manufacturer entered in the Championship will score points in the respective classifications. The existing team titles have been deleted.

Free Practice and Qualifying will be staged on all tarmac rallies, as well as gravel events, following the same regulations concerning the definition of the rally start order for the first day.

A Junior Championship will be created within the framework of the FIA European Rally Championship to create a genuine ladder between the ERC and WRC for young talent. Designed to be an accessible and cost-effective series for drivers under 25 competing in currently named R2 cars, the Championship will run over seven events with the best four results – including one gravel or snow rally – counting towards the title.

Irish man Craig Breen will also run in 2014 with Sainteloc-run Peugeot Sport team. It looks like he will start the year in the 207 S2000 but should be in the new 208 T16 (R5) before the Circuit of Ireland which is part of the ERC for 2014.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

M-Sport want Kubica. This is a very good thing.

I believe the 2014 WRC entry list is closed next weekend and Citroen are having their announcement on the 16th. Hyundai will confirm their lineup tomorrow I think.

M-Sport want Kubica. This is a very good thing.

I believe the 2014 WRC entry list is closed next weekend and Citroen are having their announcement on the 16th. Hyundai will confirm their lineup tomorrow I think.

Do you think we will see a Meeke & Ostberg line up in Citroen?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

h3000 wrote: »
    Do you think we will see a Meeke & Ostberg line up in Citroen?
    Has to be. I don't think there's anything to the talk that Duval's been putting about.

Kubica brings money and serious profile which should make M-Sport far more secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Kubica is doing the first round of the ERC in a fiestia R5 so he is deffo going to M sport.

If M sport have Kubica and the mad Russian I feel sorry for there pannel beaters all ready..

Meeke and Ostberg officially confirmed at Citroen.

Excellent news woohoo. Paul Nagle back in the passenger seat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mjhickeyie

Great news!

Some talk that Breen tested with Scott Martin last week. I wonder will he sit beside him next year.

• Advertisement

WRC 2014

A quick look at how the driver line up is looking so far. I'll update as more news is confirmed. Question marks below are not officially confirmed.

Constructor Car Team Driver Co-Driver Rounds
    Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Kris Meeke Paul Nagle Full Season
    Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Mads Østberg Jonas Andersson Full Season
    Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Khalid Al Qassimi ?? ??
    Ford Fiesta RS WRC M-Sport World Rally Team ??Mikko Hirvonen?? ??Jarmo Lehtinen?? Full Season
    Ford Fiesta RS WRC M-Sport World Rally Team ??Robert Kubica?? ??TBA?? Full Season
    Ford Fiesta RS WRC Jipocar Czech National Team Martin Prokop ??Michal Ernst?? Full Season
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Motorsport Thierry Neuville Nicolas Gilsoul Full Season
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Motorsport Juho Hänninen Tomi Tuominen Selected Rounds
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Motorsport ??Dani Sordo?? ??Marc Marti?? ??
    Volkswagen Polo R WRC Volkswagen Motorsport Sebastien Ogier Julien Ingrassia Full Season
    Volkswagen Polo R WRC Volkswagen Motorsport Jari-Matti Latvala Miikka Anttila Full Season

Tweet from Carlos del Barrio. Looks like theres some truth to Marc Marti.
    Thanks @ DaniSordo x these 3 great years. Good luck in your new stage. Time for new challenges for both. Wishing to start 2014!

1499601_613048588761028_1153864540_n.jpg
    1470365_613048612094359_342696477_n.jpg

WRC 2014

UPDATED 2
    A quick look at how the driver line up is looking so far. I'll update as more news is confirmed. Question marks below are not officially confirmed.

Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Kris Meeke Paul Nagle Full Season
    Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Mads Østberg Jonas Andersson Full Season
    Citroën DS3 WRC Citroën Abu Dhabi Total World Rally Team Khalid Al Qassimi ?? ??
    Ford Fiesta RS WRC M-Sport World Rally Team ??Mikko Hirvonen?? ??Jarmo Lehtinen?? Full Season
    Ford Fiesta RS WRC M-Sport World Rally Team ??Robert Kubica?? ??TBA?? Full Season
    Ford Fiesta RS WRC Jipocar Czech National Team Martin Prokop ??Michal Ernst?? Full Season
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Shell World Rally Team Thierry Neuville Nicolas Gilsoul Full Season
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Shell World Rally Team Juho Hänninen Tomi Tuominen Sweden, maybe more??
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Shell World Rally Team Dani Sordo Marc Marti Tarmac/mixed rounds
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Shell World Rally Team Chris Atkinson Stephane Prevot Australia, maybe more??
    Volkswagen Polo R WRC Volkswagen Motorsport Sebastien Ogier Julien Ingrassia Full Season
    Volkswagen Polo R WRC Volkswagen Motorsport Jari-Matti Latvala Miikka Anttila Full Season

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭leoch

Absolutely brilliant news about Meeks can't wait for it to start now.hope they can sort good tv coverage now

leoch wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant news about Meeks can't wait for it to start now.hope they can sort good tv coverage now

Colin Clark was saying that there should be better TV coverage now that there is a "UK" :D driver involved

**I know he is a UK citizen, just taking the piss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Driver musical chairs always makes for an exciting down season. Hopefully its a sign things are going backwards to go forwards. Back in the early 00's teams often changed drivers. Its gotten stale the last few years with so few teams amongst all the other issues

M-Sport are to name their drivers on Friday.

Looks like it will be Hirvonnen & Elfyn Evans in M-Sport next year with Kubica in a M-Sport car in Lotos colours. We should know for certain tomorrow.

WRC 2014

Well M-Sport have confirmed their line ups today. Hirvonnen, Evans and Kubica. I'm really looking forward to next season. It's had a real good shake up with teams and drivers at least. Bring it on

Ford Fiesta RS WRC M-Sport World Rally Team Mikko Hirvonen Jarmo Lehtinen Full Season
    Ford Fiesta RS WRC M-Sport World Rally Team Elfyn Evans Daniel Barritt Full Season
    Ford Fiesta RS WRC RK M-Sport World Rally Team Robert Kubica ??TBA?? Full Season
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Shell World Rally Team Thierry Neuville Nicolas Gilsoul Full Season
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Shell World Rally Team Juho Hänninen Tomi Tuominen Sweden, maybe more??
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Shell World Rally Team Dani Sordo Marc Marti Tarmac/mixed rounds
    Hyundai I20 WRC Hyundai Shell World Rally Team Chris Atkinson Stephane Prevot Australia, maybe more??

http://www.m-sport.co.uk/m-sport-news/fiesta-rs-wrc/robert-kubica-confirms-2014-campaign.html
    http://www.m-sport.co.uk/m-sport-news/fiesta-rs-wrc/youth-and-experience-m-sport-confirm-hirvonen-and-evans-for-2014.html

Delighted for Elfyn Evans. Very talented driver that should have a great year. What sponsorship does he have behind him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭leoch

its just because he is gwyndaf evans son and british, Wilson wouldn't have gave meeke a drive in one of his vans and he is ten times the driver why could he not have gave Cronin a chance did he not win the british championship 9or breen)apart from hirvonen wilsons team is bottom of the barrel stuff to say the least sure kub... or whatever his name is got a drive cause he is bringing a bag of money he will be lucky to get into the top ten on any rally

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mjhickeyie

wobbles wrote: »
    Delighted for Elfyn Evans. Very talented driver that should have a great year. What sponsorship does he have behind him?

Does he have a connection to the Qatar money?
    His R5 was in the full m-sport colours last year.

leoch wrote: »
    its just because he is gwyndaf evans son and british, Wilson wouldn't have gave meeke a drive in one of his vans and he is ten times the driver why could he not have gave Cronin a chance did he not win the british championship 9or breen)apart from hirvonen wilsons team is bottom of the barrel stuff to say the least sure kub... or whatever his name is got a drive cause he is bringing a bag of money he will be lucky to get into the top ten on any rally

Evans is a great driver and deserves the seat in his own right but I will say he might be one year too early. That said give him 5 or 6 rallies and I really think he will be right up there.

Meeke is a great driver but he is in no way 10 times better than Evans. As for Breen I really think he is going about things right. The PSA seat could easily get him a Citroen seat in a year or two. Let's hope he an develop his speed.

Apparently an objection has been lodged with the FIA in regards to Kubica's paddle shift modification. No confirmed sources yet but sources on Twitter are stating that VW have lodged the objection. Sounds like very bad form if true :(

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

h3000 wrote: »
    Apparently an objection has been lodged with the FIA in regards to Kubica's paddle shift modification. No confirmed sources yet but sources on Twitter are stating that VW have lodged the objection. Sounds like very bad form if true :(

if it is true i'm sure it's nothing more than the time delay on the paddleshift not being long enough or something small that can be altered, VW have been nothing but sporting since they entered the series.

guyfo wrote: »
    if it is true i'm sure it's nothing more than the time delay on the paddleshift not being long enough or something small that can be altered, VW have been nothing but sporting since they entered the series.

Turns out that VW just wanted clarification on how the system would work and if there was any competitive advantage. All seems okay now.

Looks like Chirs Patterson will partner Al Qassimi for 2014 and with that it looks like Scott Martin will sit with Breen.

Craig Breen has entered Rally Sweden in a Fiesta WRC. He will be co-driven by Scott Martin. Very interesting, I presume the PeugeotSport contract is still in place and this is just a one off. I think his dad bought a Fiesta WRC which he hires out and runs (team).

Very surprised by this to be honest and would have to wonder whether Peugeot would allow one of their drivers drive another car, albeit privately owned.

On the other hand, they could be being sneaky and allowing Craig drive the WRC on the event, then test the Peugeot on the same stages to compare the times.

• Advertisement

wobbles wrote: »
    Very surprised by this to be honest and would have to wonder whether Peugeot would allow one of their drivers drive another car, albeit privately owned.

On the other hand, they could be being sneaky and allowing Craig drive the WRC on the event, then test the Peugeot on the same stages to compare the times.

It is a bit odd. There is still no real confirmation of his ERC program either, although I'm sure we would have heard if there was problems there too.

Advertisement