Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endurance Racing News Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

all the lola Aston Martins are no longer eligible for lmp1 and have been sold on to collectors, but the Pescarolo 03 Judd is actually last years AMR 1 chassis with a judd engine and new aero package

re Oreca they are providing much of the personnel for Toyota's operation from what i understand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

No Aston Martin or Oreca LMP1s :-(

I would be surprised if Aston came back with an LMP1 again after last year. And Oreca aren't fielding LMP1 since there's no factory support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Grim. wrote: »
    all the lola Aston Martins are no longer eligible for lmp1 and have been sold on to collectors, but the Pescarolo 03 Judd is actually last years AMR 1 chassis with a judd engine and new aero

I see, pity, cause the sound of the thing gave me shivers down my spine!
    I know last year was an embarrassment for them, would've hoped that might spur them on to improve.

looks like status are in although as technical partners according to this press release on the Dyson Racing website
    24 HOURS OF LE MANS | Dyson files two entries for 2012

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY February 02, 2012 -- Dyson Racing has accepted its two automatic entry invitations for this year’s 80th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans on June 16th and 17th. The team will be entering two new Lola B12/60 coupes in the storied French classic, powered by upgraded versions of the same AER-built Mazda engines that took the team to the American Le Mans Series championships in 2011. ALMS champions Chris Dyson and Guy Smith are confirmed as drivers, and the team will be assisted in its foray to the 24 Hours of Le Mans by European-based team Status Grand Prix.

The team received its entries for winning the 2011 ALMS Championship and the Green X Challenge, two of the five ALMS titles the team won last year, including titles for Mazda and Dunlop tires. “Both my dad and I have raced at Le Mans and have always said we would go back with our team when we were able to run competitively with a proper program,” said Chris Dyson, Vice President and Sporting Director of Dyson Racing. “This is a natural extension of the momentum from last year’s winning season. Even with our long-term history in endurance racing, entering Le Mans propels our team to its next native level. It is the greatest endurance race in the world. All of our partners have been hugely supportive of this step and we look forward to having a strong run in the race.”

The cars will be entered and engineered by Dyson Racing with UK-based Status GP providing additional technical and commercial support for the effort. Status GP won the A1GP World Cup of Motorsport in 2009 and has been a multiple race-winning and championship contending team in GP3 in 2010 and ’11. The team’s personnel have vast experience of competing at Le Mans and have helped customers secure top 10 finishes in the GT1 and LMP2 classes in 2006 and 2011.

“It is a privilege to work with Dyson Racing as they embark on a two car campaign at the 24 Hours of Le Mans,” said Status GP founder Mark Gallagher. “We will assist them technically and commercially, and our goal is to help ensure that this legendary team enjoys a highly successful event with minimum disruption to the defense of their American Le Mans Series championship titles.”

“We are very excited to join forces with Status Grand Prix, a mutual friend of Lola and a group that has proven to be of the top drawer in recent years,” Dyson added. “Their key staff has decades of Le Mans experience and success, and partnering with them was an easy decision.”

In coming weeks, Dyson Racing and Status Grand Prix will be working diligently together to finalize the program’s commercial package and driver lineups. Announcements of these details will be forthcoming.

Lola, a long time Dyson Racing partner, won both the European-based Le Mans Series and American Le Mans Series LMP1 championships in 2011 and was the highest placed petrol-powered car in last year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans. For 2012, Lola has taken another step forward with improved aerodynamics, efficient packaging and advancements in suspension technology for the B12/60 coupe, as it continues to build on its more than 50 years of winning history.

Martin Birrane, Executive Chairman of the Lola Group, expressed his pleasure at the announcement: \"For a decade now, Lola and Dyson Racing have shared a successful partnership in the American Le Mans Series, culminating in last season’s title triumph. Today`s announcement is a significant one for Dyson as it will showcase their ultra-professional team at the greatest of races - the Le Mans 24 hours. The new look state-of-the-art Lola LMP1 car - the B12/60 - has been honed and developed in our on-site technical center over the last six months. It will incorporate the latest cutting edge technology in composite design, aerodynamics and future sustainable technologies. I am also delighted that Dyson Racing is teaming up with Status GP for the Le Mans 24 Hours. The combined force of both Dyson Racing and Status GP with Lola`s renowned engineering support is sure to be a formidable one. I and everyone at the Lola factory are relishing the 80th Le Mans 24 Hours in June.\"

Chris Dyson first raced at Le Mans in 2004, finishing seventh, the highest-placed American that year. Guy Smith won the world famous race in 2003, and placed a close second the following year, missing the win by 40 seconds. On their way to the ALMS championships last year, Dyson and Smith placed first in ALMS points in the combined ALMS/ILMC 12 Hours of Sebring and the Petit Le Mans and never finished lower than second in the remaining seven races. They won the title by sixty-two points, adding to the team’s tally of nineteen championships in a twenty-nine year history that spans some of the most competitive eras in prototype racing.

same press release is up on the Status website
    Status Grand Prix will be the technical and commercial partner of legendary US sportscar team Dyson Racing's two-car entry into the LMP1 class at the Le Mans 24 Hours this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

The Murphy Motorsports car (LMP2) which is just behind Status on the entry list is entered under an Irish flag:

http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/1/1/ressources/Pdf/2012/24-heures-du-mans/entry_list_24_heures_du_mans_2012.pdf

Anybody know anything about it?

• Advertisement

dcr22B wrote: »
    The Murphy Motorsports car (LMP2) which is just behind Status on the entry list is entered under an Irish flag:

http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/1/1/ressources/Pdf/2012/24-heures-du-mans/entry_list_24_heures_du_mans_2012.pdf

Anybody know anything about it?

the team is RLR Motorsport and this is all i can find about murphy

seems Anthony Davidson has signed for Toyota to be announced soon

I see National Geographic have named the 24hrs of Le Mans as the top sporting event, even ahead of The Olympics.
    Wouldn't disagree!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Won't be heading this year anyway alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

amacachi wrote: »
    Won't be heading this year anyway alas.

What happened? Shame cos its such a good weekend

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    What happened? Shame cos its such a good weekend

50/50 on being able to afford it, then the people I was meant to be going with decided they're going to New Zealand for a coupla years. :pac:
    **** it, there's always next year, Indy will have to wait even longer. :pac:

amacachi wrote: »
    50/50 on being able to afford it, then the people I was meant to be going with decided they're going to New Zealand for a coupla years. :pac:
    **** it, there's always next year, Indy will have to wait even longer. :pac:

NZ over Le Mans...they dont have a clue! Indy's the dream but it keeps getting put back for me too because of the cost! Looks like I should be able to knock a couple of my "to-do" races off the list this year though so I cant complain too much!

My list of races to go to includes Le Mans and Nurburgring 24 Hours as well as the Isle of Man TT.

I got to go to my #1 choice back in 2008 - Bathurst.

Have to start saving the pennies again

dcr22B wrote: »
    My list of races to go to includes Le Mans and Nurburgring 24 Hours as well as the Isle of Man TT.

I got to go to my #1 choice back in 2008 - Bathurst.

Have to start saving the pennies again

Bathurst, Id say that was class! TT's on my list as well, hopefully next year!
    This year Im focusing on knocking off the Daytona 500, Sebring 12 Hours and Monaco. Gotta learn to use my holidays for actual holidays at some point in time rather than going to see lads drive in circles!

NZ over Le Mans...they dont have a clue! Indy's the dream but it keeps getting put back for me too because of the cost! Looks like I should be able to knock a couple of my "to-do" races off the list this year though so I cant complain too much!

College timing means it'll be 2015 before I have any shot at Indy. Still on the bright side I could say it means I've more time to save for it. :pac: A mate of mine was on about the Hungarian Grand Prix this year, meant to be one of the cheaper ones and the timing would suit too.

Bathurst, Id say that was class!

Did it while on honeymoon, absolutely brilliant. Race itself was a bit staid but the Fords won which was the important part!

Bathurst 12 hour on at the minute good race so far

Am2DEA0CQAASDpC.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I don't think this white/silver seems to suit the Audi...

#3 Audi Has the best livery again (#3 is a 2011 car #1 is the 2012 version)

425456_10150603196857912_291763622911_9227408_2118382967_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Killinator

As a Pug fan(:() they look utterly utterly fantastic!

I'm just waiting to see the livery on the new Pesca, they have yet to fail on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

That is a beautiful car:)

Outstanding looking cars!! I can't wait to glimpse those in the flesh!!

Sebring 12hrs this weekend most of it on motors tv apart from a break of about 2 hours for the Daytona AMA Race but coverage should still be available on the likes of audi tv or the ACO website also justin.tv etc etc

Grim. wrote: »
    Sebring 12hrs this weekend most of it on motors tv apart from a break of about 2 hours for the Daytona AMA Race but coverage should still be available on the likes of audi tv or the ACO website also justin.tv etc etc

Cant wait for this, Aussie GP straight after Sebring....cant ask for too much more!

Also if anyone wants a programme or any merchandise PM me what you want and Ill try and pick it up for you

Spotters Guide for those interested few paddy's in the race as well Damien Faulkner in the Green hornet Porsche, Stephen Kane in the Dyson racing Lola and Jonny Kane in the Strakka HPD

alms_12_sebring_sg_Sh1.jpg
    alms_12_sebring_sg_Sh2.jpg

agreed on the looks but still looking forward to see how it goes at lemans

Nissan have had feck all to do with it btw last minute bandwagon thing, engine is actually the one from the WTCC Chevy cruze rebadged

car itself was funded by Don Panoz and built by Highcroft racing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

That car looks well weird.

• Advertisement

As disappointing as it was when IndyCar went with Dallara it was still better than going for the DeltaWing.

Advertisement