Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wiring new house for TV

• 04-11-2014 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hey I'm buy a new house not built yet but want all TV points hidden and so would like to have UPC boxes all in utility room out of sight .so I need to know what cable to use .
    I was thinking running 2 cat5 + co ax position at TV level to each of the bedrooms and sitting room and control the UPC boxes in utility room using ir kit and hdmi extender over cat 5.
    Any help or advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭MHI

Hi AL25

If its just HD Video Distribution you need the following will be fine.

4 x Cat5e cables from utility to each TV point (i say 4 in case some fail, only 2 required, always better to have back up)
    3 x Coax (these are only need if you are going to use composite Standard Definition (Yellow/Red/White)

But i'd imagine you will be sending sound and video over HDMI.

If you are wiring for Full multi-room audio and video run the following into each zone (Room).

TV Point
    4 x Cat5e cables from utility to each TV point (i say 4 in case some fail, only 2 required, always better to have back up)
    3 x Coax (these are only need if you are going to use composite Standard Definition (Yellow/Red/White)

In wall Keypad
    2 x Cat5e cables (only 1 require, but have a back up)

Speakers
    1 x Speaker cable from each speaker location back to Utility.

Network Point (internet access wired)
    1 x Cat5e cable to each point

I know i'm telling you to run back up wires but best to have them put in place during the build than after.

Hope this helps and good luck in your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Al 25

Cheers thanks for the help whats the keypad u mention for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭MHI

Sorry just seen your reply now, keypads are for local control in each room of audio/Video system.

A lot of systems will have the option to control via remote control or via app on smart phones/tablets but it can run expensive when tablets, etc are in each room. plus its a pain in the butt when you can't find remote but at least you will always have keypad in wall.

Advertisement