Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

20euro's for Stand and 15 for Terrace,a bit stingy just to see one game i think.
    I assume Farragher will switch with Andy Smith either just before throw-in or at some point during the game.The half forward line and midfield have to start performing.The ball has to start "sticking" up around there and not keep coming back at the weary defence every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

From a Galway point of view I'd expect the following.

1. A bit of passion, fight and some real championship intensity.

2. Some sort of obvious game plan and pattern of play that leads to more possesion and more scores. A game plan that we can build on in the next round should we beat Clare.

3. See forwards other than Joe Canning stand up to the plate. We can't expect JC to do it all himself, others need to chip in. We'll go nowhere being a one man team. Its hard to know what type of games we'll get from Farragher and Tannion, but I expect a greater performance from Hayes. Hopefully Gantley has another good game. We all know what to expect from Alan Kerins. I would have prefered to have seen a pacy corner forward in there but we'll get honesty of effort from Alan.
    Hopefully we get all three and the result. Galway by 3/4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Any way around the Ireland-only restrictions on rte.ie for watching the game?

Would really like to watch it over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

kraggy wrote: »

Well you could find a website that that would give you a fake Irish IP address. Other than that no i'm afraid to say

kraggy wrote: »

It's listed on MYP2P anyway.

One link is Sopcast that requires a two minute install and the second is Veetle.

If the Veetle link works I doubt it would be pulled like a Boxing PPV or Premiership match.
    As I believe someone connected with those companies broadcasting, track illegal streams and get them pulled(by and large).
    So with that in mind I'd say a GAA game would be fine on Veetle if it's up.

Sopcast though is reliable, streams don't get pulled afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thanks for the info on watching the match lads. Downloaded Sopcast. Hopefully the feed won't be pulled. The match starts at 3a.m here so sitting in the apartment sippin beers in the meantime.

On a sidenote, I think the GAA need to cop on really soon about ticket prices. I think €20 for one match is an outrage. If you consider that a man and wife might want to bring their kids to the game, the cost of tickets plus food plus petrol and the lack of incentive given Galway's poor recent showings, it's a bit much to ask people, whose lives revolve around hurling, to pay that much money. Add to that the fact that those who actually still have a job are more than likely earning less than they were say 2 years ago.

Reality check needed if you ask me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Where are those who called for McIntire's head a fortnight ago ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lapin wrote: »
    Where are those who called for McIntire's head a fortnight ago ?

I'm guessing they'll wait till the next match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I'm guessing they'll wait till the next match!

Steady up lads.

Galway far from the finished article, a good hard team will kill them.

Big improvement in attitude and hurling.

McIntyre said it himself, too much cones and drills.

Get in there and start shifting out some front teeth:cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Steady up lads.

Galway far from the finished article, a good hard team will kill them.

Big improvement in attitude and hurling.

McIntyre said it himself, too much cones and drills.

Get in there and start shifting out some front teeth:cool:

I wonder what he will blame if they fall flat the next day?

Obviously much improved tonight but I'm still not convinced they have turned the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Are we playing Limerick next or are we playing the winners of the Cork vs Antrim match?

I keep hearing different things.

I'm hoping we get Cork out of the hat in tomorrow's draw.

After tonight's performance, we have the momentum and confidence to face one of the established sides.

No disrespect to Antrim, but there are few things more than the sight of a red jersey to spurn this Galway team on.

With the same commitment we showed tonight, I reckon we could take them

mars bar wrote: »
    Are we playing Limerick next or are we playing the winners of the Cork vs Antrim match?

I keep hearing different things.

We're playing either Cork or Antrim. We're playing one, Limerick are playing the other. Winners of those two games play the losers of the provincial finals in the quarters.
    I'm hoping we get Cork out of the hat in tomorrow's draw.

After tonight's performance, we have the momentum and confidence to face one of the established sides.

No disrespect to Antrim, but there are few things more than the sight of a red jersey to spurn this Galway team on.

With the same commitment we showed tonight, I reckon we could take them

I would err on the side of caution regarding a potential Cork game. Yes we're in much better shape than after the Dublin game but this team have long way to go. That Clare side were really poor, especially in defence, however credit where credits due they pulled off a good win. The problem with Galway is consistency, good one game bad the next, last year being a prime example. Poor against Offaly, sluggish against Kilkenny and then nearly take Tipperary. The Clare win certainly gives us something to build on but we must be under no illusions Galway still have a lot to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Clare put up a big score despite not really looking to have any ideas up front. The intensity wasn't great and players seemed to get more space than you'd think on both sides, though Galway effectively snuffed out Clare not letting them in for any goal chances.

From a Galway perspective it was a much improved performance and the kind of response they needed! However, Clare's defense was shocking. This isn't the kind of game Galway need to prove themselves in. It's when they come up against a team that pushes them all the way and fights to the end, that's when they need to prove themselves. At the same time, Tipp played Offaly and Wexford and won comfortably without playing amazing last year, so in fairness anyone who isn't convinced should realise Galway are a threat, but they have to win four big games now and it certainly won't be an easy won all-ireland if they're to do so.

On another note, though I admire his skill, thought Canning was lucky not to give away a free for his goal. Also, what McInerney did was possibly the most shameful thing I've seen on a field in quite a while at least. I'm sure he'll be disappointed with himself in hindsight!

From a Galway perspective it was a much improved performance and the kind of response they needed! However, Clare's defense was shocking. This isn't the kind of game Galway need to prove themselves in. It's when they come up against a team that pushes them all the way and fights to the end, that's when they need to prove themselves. At the same time, Tipp played Offaly and Wexford and won comfortably without playing amazing last year, so in fairness anyone who isn't convinced should realise Galway are a threat, but they have to win four big games now and it certainly won't be an easy won all-ireland if they're to do so.

Galway won't be easily beat. They have to take each game as it comes. But I don't think even the most optimistic in the county think we have any realistic ambitions of an All Ireland. We're capable of a semi but if we come up against Kilkenny or Tipperary we're destined to come up short, just not enough talent and thats no shame either. All we can ask is that they give it they're best and that the management develop a plan that allows them to do so. Our wildest expectations I think would be a semi final, but as I said take each game as it comes and if we come up short against Cork etc then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Obviously much improved tonight but I'm still not convinced they have turned the corner.

Same here, if they were to do that to your own county the next day (they won't by the way) then I'd say they are becoming a team, but at the moment the jury remains out imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Kojak wrote: »
    Same here, if they were to do that to your own county the next day (they won't by the way) then I'd say they are becoming a team, but at the moment the jury remains out imo.

So if they were to hammer Cork you'd say they were becoming a team? Maybe taking it to the other extreme there no? Galway are a good team, and I think that they will put it up to anyone, but they need to learn to keep fighting to the end and to not let the heads down. Two things let them down last year against Tipp, the soft goal Callinan scored before half time, and the collapse when Ollie Canning left the field. It seems a long way away, but I don't see that last years team was better than this years, in fact Canning looks like he might be ready to start delivering on the glimpses he shows of his brilliance.

Also, people have been writing off this year since the few minutes after the all-ireland final last year, saying only Tipp and Kilkenny can win it. I don't know are Kilkenny going to be even as good as they were last year, they'll still be good but not the untouchable side of a few years ago. Tipp also, haven't been totally convincing yet and I know that often seems to be the way with them but they've new managment this year. I don't think the gap is quite as big as some people like to make out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

To be fair to the critics it was our first good showing so far this championship. We have been horrible this year but hopefully yesterday was the turning point. Sure Clare were bad but any side that gives away 4-25 in a match isn't exactly guaranteed a win. Thought our fullback line was great specifically Kavanagh. Half backs were good. The most satisfying position was the half-forward line which was very impressive. Here's hoping we'll put up that kind of showing against Cork should we face them.

Oh and Alan Kerins goal was a thing of beauty.

I was pleased with the performance but I'd still worry about a few things.

1. Like in the Dublin game we are giving away far too many soft frees, with a lot of them coming from Cullinanes side. Cullinane did'nt have the best of games. I'd either brings Collins out to wing back and move Cullinane to corner or else drop Cullinane in favour of Damien Joyce.

2. Still a lot more work required as we're still struggling under the high ball.

We've a chance against Cork and probably even Waterford, but nowhere near the level required to challenge Tipp or Kilkenny.

Having said that I think we might fall short yet again.

Jesus they aren't showing Galay-Meath

• Advertisement

Jesus they aren't showing Galay-Meath

Sure why would they? There's two or three tastier games IMHO.

Laois vs Kildare
    Longford vs Tyrone

I think that game could be one sided sadly. :o

Tenner says we get Cork !

Knew it :D

Bring on the rebel féckers :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

end of the road for galway now!;)

Thurles?

Thurles?

Down the páirc bai!!!

consider it done;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Any know of either of the Galway matches are shown this weekend? Can't find them on any channel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

hurling yes football no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

h2005 wrote: »
    hurling yes football no

Is the hurling on the television - I didn't see it listed anywhere :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement