Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tired of paying 29.99€ for 12 protein bars ? TRY THIS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

They look great COH, can you link to the recipe? I can't find it on the blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭COH

robocode wrote: »
    They look great COH, can you link to the recipe? I can't find it on the blog.

No problem....

150g Coconut Milk (you can use any milk really)
    85g cashew butter
    2 scoops of Protein

blend the above

Add;
    As much mixed seeds, dried fruit and nuts as you like and you can even include some rolled oats or banana. I opted to leave them out to make it low carb. They are still full of energy though;

I added 50g Linseed
    50g Seseme Seeds
    50g Sunflower seeds
    50g Raisins
    50g Gogi berries
    50g Walnuts
    tsp honey

Mix with the wet ingredients and put in baking tray or tin. I popped them in my muffin tin so that I wouldn't have to cut them afterwards.

Pop them in the oven for 20mins at 200 degrees c and BOOM now you have an awesome mid afternoon healthy, energy giving, protein filled snack!

enjoy x

I’m not an advocate of counting calories, fats and carbs instead I prefer to count the benefit of the ingredients i.e Protein to aid recovery and fuel training, mixed seeds and nuts which are typically high in fat BUT good healthy unsaturated fats which in moderation have huge benefits for the body with their high omega3 content and fibre. They can help improve cholesterol and digestion, control blood sugar and insulin levels. While this type of fat is healthy for you, it is still rich in calories. If you are trying to maintain or lose weight you might not want to have 4 in one go but one a day has its benefits. Not being biased but I would chose to make my own granola snack than purchase processed ones that may have lower fat content but ingredients such as whole grain oats, sugar, canola oil, yellow corn flour, honey, soy,brown sugar syrup, salt, soy lecithin, baking soda and “natural flavours” which may pose more harm to my body than good. In my view they are low in bad fats but have an abundance of good fats that have plenty of healthy benefits. Also, the ingredients can be tailor made to suit your own tastes and quantities. I have been struggling to find a good recipe with high protein, low carbs and good fat / low bad fat content for a while. This one was pure fluke!
    Calories per bar approx 50g per bar 175cal, Protein 9g, Carbs 13g, Fat 12g
    Typical processed granola bar approx 48g per bar; 190 cals, protein 4g, carbs 29g, fats 6g

Nice one, I'll be making these!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Just after making a batch of these they are in the freezer. If the few sneaky tastes of the mix I had are anything to go by these are going to be delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

How long do these last in the freezer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

How long do these last in the freezer?

Forever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Made these again the other night, but played around with the recepie to make them slightly better for taking when Im running..

Alas my new concoction did not work, and they never set properly so I have a bit of a gooey mess - still great tho, but this batch more of a quick snack for when I go by fridge than bars I can eat on the run - but I live and learn, and next batch will be better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Folks are the bars in the original OP OK for someone with high cholestorol?

Made a batch of Transform's bars (with a few variations) and loving them. They should be good for 10-14 days in the fridge at least? It's all uncooked so I'm hoping they last awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

they'll last way longer than you'll be able to resist eating them if my experience is anything to go by

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

finally got all the ingredients today, was going to make them in an hour or two then finally noticed the recipe calls for ground flaxseed

might see if I can pick up a coffee grinder next week,. or a cheap mortar and pestle

my god... that was so sticky
    i probably ate the guts of a bars worth just trying to get my hands clean enough to work with

--edit

well that didn't quite work.
    they're still very very gooey. i used whole flaxseed because i wasn't able to grind them but I'll grab a mortar and pestle next week and give them another bash

the mocha whey adds a weird flavour to it. still ungodly delicious but the kind of thing where you wouldn't be able to eat too much of it, which is a good thing. i'll leave them in the freezer for another while, chop them up and then refreeze them wrapped individually. didn't come out perfect but they'll do the job

--edit

just had a second one. didn't even wait until it thawed before I ate it. i've a feeling these things are going to do more harm than good to my weight loss plans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Decided to make these yesterday. Same ingredients as the OP, except I used unflavoured whey protein and Cadburys cocoa powder (instead of chocolate flavour whey protein) and honey (instead of maple syrup).

I reckon I used about 20 ml too much water. The batter set in the freezer but it is still really sticky!

Taste wise, peanut is very dominant. I'll use maple syrup next time instead of honey. Biggest problem is that I can't really get much of a taste of chocolate. I added 2 WPC scoops of cocoa powder. I'm thinking I should add another scoop next time? Or is there anything else I need to add to get a more chocolate-y flavour? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If the individual bars are sticky, you could throw some cocoa powder on a plate and cover the bars in it. Might make them less sticky and more chocolatey

i had a weird thing with my bars. some of them were really really sticky when i took them out of the fridge, some weren't. there were a couple I could just hold in my hand while I ate and not a bother. i left one of the non sticky ones out of the fridge for a couple of hours to test it and when i picked it up again it was still fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PaulyBolger

i have everything but flaxseed - what can i add to it as a replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

i have everything but flaxseed - what can i add to it as a replacement?
    I never add flax. I add coconut, but not as a replacement, I just add it.

Tip for sticky bars.
    Taking them out of the freezer they are quite sticky bars. Wrapping them in cling film keeps them sticky. If you wrap them in baking paper the surface dries out after a day - makes them perfect to hold.
    Don't wrap the whole batch at once as the last might be too dry by the time you get to it.

http://i.imgur.com/IF6Enh3.jpg

second batch turned out a *lot* better

threw a bit of coconut flour in there to (theoretically) soak up some of the moisture and remove the stickiness. worked a charm. even when I was mixing it, it barely stuck to my hands at all. and when I took it out of the freezer to chop up the zip lock back was spotless and my hands weren't even the slightest bit sticky.

--edit

had a couple of bars in a little lunchbox thing on the counter since about 9am. they're moist but not in the least bit sticky. could wrap them in a bit of greaseproof paper, throw them in a bag and not worry about them all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Mellor wrote: »
    I never add flax. I add coconut, but not as a replacement, I just add it.

Tip for sticky bars.
    Taking them out of the freezer they are quite sticky bars. Wrapping them in cling film keeps them sticky. If you wrap them in baking paper the surface dries out after a day - makes them perfect to hold.
    Don't wrap the whole batch at once as the last might be too dry by the time you get to it.

After you wrap them with baking paper, do you put them back into the freezer/fridge or leave them out at room temperature?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

After you wrap them with baking paper, do you put them back into the freezer/fridge or leave them out at room temperature?
    Into the fridge.

When I make a batch I put them into 4 zip lock bags. I take each bag out of the freezer one at a time. Chop it into 4 and wrap with baking paper, eat one and put 3 in the fridge. When they're gone I take the next zip lock bag out etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Made these last night.

Sticky is not the word. 100mls of water is plenty I would think.

Still in the freezer at home and nice and solid this morning.

I used mint chocolate protein and the smell of mint is dominant. Lets hope they taste good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Anyone know of any recipes that are nut (incl peanut) free?

Nut butters seem to be the binding ingredient in all of these recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Anyone know of any recipes that are nut (incl peanut) free?

Nut butters seem to be the binding ingredient in all of these recipes.

You can use high % dark chocolate and coconut oil ( not much ) melted in skim milk. On cooling this will harden binding the ingredients - simply leave out the chopped nuts and nut butters.
    ( these are obviously more carby than some recipes but you need not add too much )

I use this - oats, cranberries, cinnamon, coca powder, some MP chocolate flavouring / sweetener and or honey, protein and nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

has the recipe changed much since the original was posted?

Is the OP the definitive version, with all the suggested changes from the other posts?

Id like to make these this weekend but dont want to read through every post to get the tweaked recipe.

does someone have the up to date 'best' recipe suggestion, or can point me to the post

same as op, but less water
    100-150ml.. i use 110-130ml when I do it

also I throw a bit of coconut flour in at the end, seems to help with the stickiness afterwards but that's not in the recipe

Tough enough to cut when frozen!

Mint Chocolate protein ain't the best stuff to use. Mint flavour is too strong.

Will try Jaffa cake flavour next!

there's a jaffa cake flavour?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

Hey guys, OP here.

I've asked the mods twice to change the amount of water in the original recipe to 120-150ml with no results :(

I really enjoy all the additions and modifications to the recipe, keep them coming!

prob have more luck if you pm one of the mods with a link to the OP

• Advertisement

there's a jaffa cake flavour?

That there is. Just arrived!!

http://www.theproteinworks.com/products/protein-shakes/whey-protein/whey-protein-80-concentrate.html

My referral code is SG5355 ;)

Advertisement